Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Long Distance Bike Trip

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Long Distance Bike Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 03:21 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by RMTBaiden
Hello everybody I am new new here! I have been into cycling for a few months now and have really enjoyed it. In 10 years I plan on doing some long road bike trips. Does anyone have any bike recommendations for long cross country trips? Note that I am in the US when sending bike suggestions. Thank you!
Your question is too broad and non-specific (and way too early!).

Even "long road bike trips" isn't specific enough: that could mean 60 mile rides, 360 miles-in-a-weekend, or multiday tours.

You'll get a better idea of what you want (and narrow the question down) with more experience and knowledge.

You'll also tend to get better answers if you ask more specific questions. "Brain dumps" not something people are going to want to provide.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-18-24, 01:19 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just want to say you guys are freakin' hilarious! Thank you for the laughs!
Old 01-18-24, 11:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Maybe, let the OP get more experience and be more clear about what he wants before expecting he's talking about touring.
Old 01-18-24, 11:23 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly my current bike will work until I am ready to actually travel, but why those colors specifically?
Your Walmart bike will almost certainly not last 10 years, at least not if you do much serious riding and put many miles on it.

10 years is a long time. By then you'll have read a lot, seen a lot, and will be more in tune with the kind of distance riding you intend to do. You need a much different bike for loaded off-road touring, than you do for paved-road credit card touring, or a supported tour. A "long road bike trip" can mean a number of different things.

As others have suggested, spend time in the Touring forum.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 01-18-24 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 11:28 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
10 years holy smokes... I wouldn't count on being alive in 10 years let alone going on a bike tour. And I'm not just talking about the elderly retired among us. People get run over by buses every day. If you want to do something, do it now.
Old 01-18-24, 11:46 AM
RMTBaiden

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And those would be?
I forgot the name of the second bike I found but the next bike I plan on purchasing is the Trek FX Sport. Not any specific model just that bike.
Old 01-18-24, 12:00 PM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Your Walmart bike will almost certainly not last 10 years, at least not if you do much serious riding and put many miles on it.

10 years is a long time. By then you'll have read a lot, seen a lot, and will be more in tune with the kind of distance riding you intend to do. You need a much different bike for loaded off-road touring, than you do for paved-road credit card touring, or a supported tour. A "long road bike trip" can mean a number of different things.

As others have suggested, spent time in the Touring forum.
I definitely do not expect to be cycling with my Walmart bike or continue using Walmart bikes in the future. I will be doing small trips but not big time touring. I also should have mentioned that I am a high school student. I can't do long trips yet. I would definitely do that if I could. I thank everyone for there replies and they have helped a lot. Opened my eyes a little bit. So I will be taking everyone advice and run my current bike to the limit it can take before buying a new one.
Old 01-18-24, 12:02 PM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Maybe, let the OP get more experience and be more clear about what he wants before expecting he's talking about touring.
Thank you. My other reply has explained things a little bit. I am not a newbie cyclist, and I have learned I should be more in detail with my questions. I have figured some things out and took these replies into thought.
Old 01-18-24, 12:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I forgot the name of the second bike I found but the next bike I plan on purchasing is the Trek FX Sport. Not any specific model just that bike.
That's a flat bar bike. It would work but a lot of us prefer drop bars for long days on the bike,, especially if it's windy. I've done a bit of touring and for my longest tour I bought a frame and built it up the way I wanted it. Got the frame cheap but built strong wheels and bought good racks and panniers. The other stuff like crank, gears, etc. aren't as important in my opinion. As long as you have the low gear you need. I wanted simple so I got some used bar end shifters and other used stuff.

I started by just doing overnight rides to another town. Eventually did 6 weeks on the road and a bunch of shorter trips. For overnight or even longer trips any bike will work. You can get a seatpost rack and carry bags on that and even wear a backpack.

For the long trip we bought maps from Adventure Cycling. These are good because they show things from a cyclist's perspective.
Route Maps | Adventure Cycling Association