Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pictures! 1980 Raleigh Competition GS repaint by Jeffrey Bock

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 09:35 AM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,075 Times in 263 Posts

Hey guys,
I know I had a separate thread for the video. But I learned that MANY of you don't watch YouTube videos that I post here. So! Here are some pics. I'll be building this up this week and post more pics and video.. Thanks!

He did an excellent job!

Old 11-08-22, 09:53 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Can't wait to see the vid, I caught your road trip preview and it whetted the appetite for buildup goodness. Congrats on having this done, it looks lovely.
Likes For poprad:
Old 11-08-22, 01:32 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 142 Posts
What's with all the Schwinn's? Love the black Comp, but really love the vintage Schwinn colors!
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 11-08-22, 03:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,589 Posts
A great looking paint job! ..not that I'd expect anything less from Mr. Bock!...

a question about the Raleigh decals.. I'm accustomed to the graphics from the mid 70's, such as my '74 International. These had "Raleigh" decals that had a font with a gold stripe in the center of each stroke of the white letters. (pics below).
Did this generation of Raleigh get rid of that gold stripe, and just use a solid white letter?

It is an odd font, but I've grown accustomed to it. Even my '82-ish Team bike has stripes in the middle of the letters.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-08-22, 08:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The entire graphic package is a bit custom
the first item to catch my eye was the gold outline top tube graphics.
I think they work pretty well.
this bike has more gloss than any Raleigh back then. Maybe a bit too glossy but should knock back when assembled.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-08-22, 09:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
a question about the Raleigh decals.. I'm accustomed to the graphics from the mid 70's, such as my '74 International. These had "Raleigh" decals that had a font with a gold stripe in the center of each stroke of the white letters. (pics below).
Did this generation of Raleigh get rid of that gold stripe, and just use a solid white letter?
Originally Posted by repechage
The entire graphic package is a bit custom
the first item to catch my eye was the gold outline top tube graphics.
The stripeless chainstay "RALEIGH" decals are an interpretation of the originals.

However, I'm not mistaken, the gold outline on the top tube "Competition G.S." is period correct for the 1977+ Raleigh road bikes that carry the alternative "Made by RALEIGH of England" downtube decals.

The corresponding silver GS at this time had a black outline around gold, also mimicking the new downtube decals. (pic: South Salem Cycleworks: Raleigh)

There's a beat-up one in the LBS's stash of vintage lugged steel, I'll try to get a photo if I happen to be around sometime.

-Kurt

Old 11-09-22, 04:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,303 Times in 1,288 Posts

1977 Competition GS
This one was purchased from the original owner back in 2015 or so. I ride it quite a bit and the paint on these is not nearly as nice as the OP example . I take care of the bike and keep it waxed but the decals are very fragile . The only bike I have had done professionally was my Colnago and it is a lot nicer than any original paint job from the seventies that I have seen. The clear coat not only adds depth to the finish but it protects the decals and paint surface.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-09-22, 07:57 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I don't recall the black bikes having gold outlines but heck, it was a long time ago and I did not collect them

nevertheless, the OP's black bike graphics actually read pretty well- some evolution to the font.

Old 11-09-22, 08:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

the OP's black bike graphics actually read pretty well- some evolution to the font.
It's all about the TiTion.

-Kurt

Old 11-09-22, 08:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,589 Posts
I don't recall the black bikes having gold outlines but heck, it was a long time ago and I did not collect them

nevertheless, the OP's black bike graphics actually read pretty well- some evolution to the font.

the font on JJ's black GS does look similar to what is on my '74 International.... especially that tilted "o".

btw, please disregard the hairy knee in the background...

edit... the "t" is different though. The horizontal element on the GS's "t" is lower than on my Int.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-13-22, 07:00 PM
samr1953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
hey guys,
i know i had a separate thread for the video. But i learned that many of you don't watch youtube videos that i post here. So! Here are some pics. I'll be building this up this week and post more pics and video.. Thanks!

He did an excellent job!

wow
Old 11-13-22, 07:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

the font on JJ's black GS does look similar to what is on my '74 International.... especially that tilted "o".

edit... the "t" is different though. The horizontal element on the GS's "t" is lower than on my Int.

Steve in Peoria
Keep in mind that all transfers were refreshed for '77 - though the transfers prior were similar, they're not really a reliable reference for most of the Raleigh road offerings after '76.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-13-22 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 08:21 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
1979 Comp GS with original paint/decals:

No inner stripe. Also no gold outline.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 11-13-22, 09:28 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,075 Times in 263 Posts
A great looking paint job! ..not that I'd expect anything less from Mr. Bock!...

It is an odd font, but I've grown accustomed to it. Even my '82-ish Team bike has stripes in the middle of the letters.

Steve in Peoria
I'm not up on all the decals. jeffrey did the research and has an expert that recreates the decals he needs. You can message Jeffery and maybe he is more of an expert!

JJ>
Old 11-13-22, 09:45 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Haha whoops! I forgot to say that's a great-looking frame. Well done!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera