Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Leaving a U-lock locked to a bike rack overnight (without bike)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 06:49 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts

Does anyone do this? I got a new U-lock that is heavy (Kryptonite New York Fuggetaboutit) and I'm wondering if there is any downside to just leaving the lock attached to a public bike rack at my downtown office overnight so I don't have to carry it back and forth between my office and home. I have a second lighter U-lock that I'd bring with me.

No one is going to steal a U-lock, right? It would be locked up to a normal U-shaped bike rack on a busy urban sidewalk, so the lock would be sitting on the ground overnight. It's a downtown office building area (Chicago) and the bike racks are busy during the day but mostly empty overnight. I don't think any other cyclists would care and it's not like I'm "calling dibs" on a rack - other cyclists could park there and I'd just grab the lock the next morning and move it to whatever rack I park at.

If feels weird leaving an expensive lock laying on the street, but I don't really see any downside and am just wondering if anyone else has seen this, or does this?
Old 04-17-24, 06:57 AM
hidetaka

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I've not spent nearly as much on my lock but I leave it at the rack at work everyday, and so do many other commuters. If the area is sketchy enough that even locks get stolen I'd rethink parking there
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 04-17-24, 07:08 AM
RangerTampa
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It's more likely to be "removed" rather than stolen. I recommend keeping a backup lock in your office, just in case the building manager or whatever party with jurisdiction over the rack decides to remove your lock. You might also want to move the lock around, so you're not always leaving it in the same spot.
Likes For RangerTampa:
Old 04-17-24, 08:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
I've never left my lock on a public street or bike rack, but I've left it on racks associated with my work buildings for 15 years. I like RangerTampa's idea of moving it around. No guarantees, but if someone looks at it one evening and notices it's at the other end of the bike rack the next evening, they might notice it's apparently being used and let it be. The powers that be might not be so charitable if they get the idea it's been left there like the locks on a Paris bridge.

If you can figure out who's responsible for maintaining the bike rack, you might contact them to notify them or ask permission for leaving your lock on the rack. Make sure you let them know you'll be riding in every day you can (weather and illness excepted), and take the lock into your office or home when you go on vacation.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-17-24, 09:58 AM
msu2001la

The City of Chicago would be the entity responsible for removing/maintaining these bike racks. They do have a "bike program" that responds to 311 requests to remove abandoned bikes from public racks. I presume they would also remove a lock if it appeared to be abandoned - though this would likely occur during the day when I'd be using the lock, and not overnight when it's left behind.

I suppose I'd be taking a risk by doing this. It makes my shoulder bag ridiculously heavy, so I'll need to figure out something else - maybe a mount to strap it to my bike frame.
Old 04-17-24, 10:04 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
Fine idea - well within acceptable use of a bike rack and likely to be safe there.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-17-24, 11:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4814 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerTampa
It's more likely to be "removed" rather than stolen. I recommend keeping a backup lock in your office, just in case the building manager or whatever party with jurisdiction over the rack decides to remove your lock. You might also want to move the lock around, so you're not always leaving it in the same spot.
+1 I'd ask that building manager for permission. Then perhaps show the lock to the custodian. And probably, they will feel this is a good thing. You want to be a good employee with their transportation issues addressed. Custodian might even notice if anything is awry with your bike someday. Do this and I'll bet the easiest thing for all is to have that one rack slot "yours".

Edit: City of Chicago makes this harder. Even if you got to know the regulars who maintain the area, they take vacations, etc.

And second edit - perhaps make a label or tag for the lock that explains that this is the lock of a very regular commuter and "can you please not remove it".

Many years ago, I bought a motorcycle cable and left it at the Sears warehouse where I worked. Did the above. It was there for me the length of my employment (and a hefty 5 pounds to lug home when I was done!) Bike was never touched.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-17-24 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-17-24, 01:06 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 366 Posts
I left my NY Fuhgeddaboudit lock on the public rack outside my office on 42nd St in NYC even though I had indoor parking. They didn't want locks left at the bike racks inside. One day I get to the office and the lock is gone, along with all the other locks that had been left there forever. I had meant to put my phone number on it but never did. So yes, sometimes they get removed. And if they can remove it, anybody can. No lock is really safe.

I bought a somewhat lighter U-Lock/Cable set, also Kryptonite, and the funny thing is I was riding over the Marine Park bridge to the beach one day and had the lock bungeed to the rack. I hit a bump, the lock popped up loose, and went over the side into the bay below. I'm on my third lock now but don't use it all that much now that I've retired.
Old 04-18-24, 09:06 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 206 Posts
I think you should try it awhile with your cheaper U-lock.

Once in awhile, I bet some city employee makes his rounds with a big bolt cutter and angle grinder to clean up the racks. I'm not sure if they'd cut a lock off if there wasn't a bike attached to it.

This is probably what you want to carry the lock on your bike. Make sure the collars fit your diameter of lock. I have an orange series Kryptonite lock and it uses the smaller collar; I think the larger one is for the fahgettaboutit/New York series locks. It looks a bit cheesy with the nylon strap, but it works very well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mount my U-lock to my eMoped with it.

By the way, if someone wants your bike, that lock is not going to slow them down much. It takes less than a minute to cut through one with an angle grinder. You may want to upgrade to LiteLok. (which has ceramic embedded in the middle)

If I still locked up my bike in Chicago, I would have one. (I'm in Kenosha now)
Old 04-18-24, 09:08 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

By the way, if you have one of the smaller New York Locks, as is shown in the YT video above, you can carry it in your belt, between the loops. Just push it U side down between your belt and pants, between the loops.
Bike messengers used to do that in Chicago.
Old 04-18-24, 11:45 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
No. I take my U-Lock home with me. It's a PITA but I do that for the reasons stated above. Plus, a person could semi-compromise the lock and you not notice, lock the bike, they come along and grab your bike. Then you'd be out a lock and a bike.

Just push it U side down between your belt and pants, between the loops.
That's how I carry my Abus.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-21-24, 03:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts
This practice is common in NYC. It will be subject to the forces of nature, so you should clean and lubricate it occasionally. Maybe move it from one place on a rack to another to make sure it doesn't look abandoned. I've done it at times when I didn't expect to need it outside of work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-22-24, 08:59 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,650 Times in 956 Posts
Do you have a rack? Here's how I carry my ulock.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 04-23-24, 07:48 AM
Kiwisaver

Bikes: Fisher Celerity, Reid 1x7 City Bike, Viva fixed gear, 93 Avanti

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Master U-lock

My lock is a small Master U-lock with a nice frame mount. I've had it about six years.
Old 04-23-24, 07:57 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Does anyone do this? I got a new U-lock that is heavy (Kryptonite New York Fuggetaboutit) and I'm wondering if there is any downside to just leaving the lock attached to a public bike rack ... No one is going to steal a U-lock, right?
IMO, it's a temptation ... and better avoided. I wouldn't, though it's up to you.

But, still, it's not as though a thief is likely to have the key (or be able to make one). Could possibly pick it; could certainly cut it. But if the goal is to get a usable lock out of the crime, I would expect it's a low-percentage thing for the thief.

I've got a very heavy padlock and chain for the home lock-up, and a couple of stout U-locks for going mobile. I might be tempted to leave one of those U-locks at my regular destination. I never have yet, but you never know.
Old 04-24-24, 08:20 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Smaug1
Once in awhile, I bet some city employee makes his rounds with a big bolt cutter and angle grinder to clean up the racks. I'm not sure if they'd cut a lock off if there wasn't a bike attached to it.
This is my main concern. A situation where leave the lock behind and then don’t come back to the office the next day for some reason, so it’s laying there all day and happens to be the same day that the city sends a crew out to do some rack cleanup.

By the way, if someone wants your bike, that lock is not going to slow them down much. It takes less than a minute to cut through one with an angle grinder. You may want to upgrade to LiteLok. (which has ceramic embedded in the middle)
I looked into the Likelock X3 - it’s a $300 lock. I got a Krytonite NY Faggetaboutit and a second cheaper Krypto Keeper for $150 total. I carry and use both. This setup is not “cut proof”, but it would take 4 separate cuts and dull multiple saw blades and involve several minutes of sparks flying. Sure, someone could do it (and they could also just cut the bike rack itself and defeat any lock) but I’m pretty confident that thieves will just move along to easier targets and not go through all that to steal my $350 bike.

Originally Posted by locolobo13
Do you have a rack? Here's how I carry my ulock.
I think I’m going to buy a rack and do this- plus get a pannier to carry my laptop/lunch/notebooks in. Any recommendations? Seems like the rack might also act as a decent rear fender?
Old 04-24-24, 08:37 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Kiwisaver
My lock is a small Master U-lock with a nice frame mount. I've had it about six years.
My old lock was a cheap Masterlock U-lock. My bike got stolen from in front of my office in the middle of the day while using it, and I assume an angle grinder was used to cut the lock. Probably took 10-15 seconds of cutting.

Around here I think thieves specifically target cheap U locks like this. I now look for bikes with cheap locks and park next to them.
Old 04-24-24, 09:57 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

I looked into the Likelock X3 - it’s a $300 lock. I got a Krytonite NY Faggetaboutit and a second cheaper Krypto Keeper for $150 total. I carry and use both. This setup is not “cut proof”, but it would take 4 separate cuts and dull multiple saw blades and involve several minutes of sparks flying. Sure, someone could do it (and they could also just cut the bike rack itself and defeat any lock) but I’m pretty confident that thieves will just move along to easier targets and not go through all that to steal my $350 bike.
You're probably right, but you're carrying two heavy locks!
On the other hand, when a typical American thief sees a LiteLok, he doesn't know that they're angle grinder resistant, so he'll try and ruin the lock anyhow. Maybe two U-locks and the psychological discouragement that entails is even better than one cut-proof lock!
And for a $350 bike? They definitely won't bother.

I think I’m going to buy a rack and do this- plus get a pannier to carry my laptop/lunch/notebooks in. Any recommendations? Seems like the rack might also act as a decent rear fender?
For that pic, it appears that the lower end of the lock is unsecured. It will slap around and make all kinds of noise. You could secure it better with velcro ties, which are getting cheap for the GOOD ones at Home Depot.
Rear racks don't normally make for good fenders, as they're usually open in the middle. Topeak MTX is an exception and they have the advantage of having a whole system of luggage the easily slides and latches on and off. I think Bontrager has a similar system at double the cost. (as usual for them)
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-24-24, 07:05 PM
Kiwisaver

Bikes: Fisher Celerity, Reid 1x7 City Bike, Viva fixed gear, 93 Avanti

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My old lock was a cheap Masterlock U-lock. My bike got stolen from in front of my office in the middle of the day while using it, and I assume an angle grinder was used to cut the lock. Probably took 10-15 seconds of cutting.

Around here I think thieves specifically target cheap U locks like this. I now look for bikes with cheap locks and park next to them.
Congrats, you've cracked the code.
Likes For Kiwisaver:
Old 04-25-24, 07:45 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,650 Times in 956 Posts
You're probably right, but you're carrying two heavy locks!
On the other hand, when a typical American thief sees a LiteLok, he doesn't know that they're angle grinder resistant, so he'll try and ruin the lock anyhow. Maybe two U-locks and the psychological discouragement that entails is even better than one cut-proof lock!
And for a $350 bike? They definitely won't bother.

For that pic, it appears that the lower end of the lock is unsecured. It will slap around and make all kinds of noise. You could secure it better with velcro ties, which are getting cheap for the GOOD ones at Home Depot.
Rear racks don't normally make for good fenders, as they're usually open in the middle. Topeak MTX is an exception and they have the advantage of having a whole system of luggage the easily slides and latches on and off. I think Bontrager has a similar system at double the cost. (as usual for them)
You're right. It does flap and make noise. Doesn't bother me as I ride in traffic a lot and can't hear it usually. Tried the ties but didn't like the extra step when locking/unlocking. My rack provides some fender service but not really.

@msu2001la the rack and pannier came from the LBS. I told them what I wanted, mostly commuting and they showed me some options. The bag is an Axiom, IDK on the rack. But that's my recommendation, look at some systems at the bike stores.

BTW: the Topeak & Bontrager luggage systems looked good. But I went cheaper.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 04-28-24, 09:51 AM
PrincipalRider

Bikes: 2020 Niner RIP9 RDO, 2022 OptOut Hooky, 2023 Salsa Journeyer, 1997 Trek Multitrack 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Bypass the lock entirely. I just kept complaining to my office's building manager about the terrible state of their bike parking and they agreed to let me use the freight elevator and store my bike in the office.
Likes For PrincipalRider:
Old 04-28-24, 02:30 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by PrincipalRider
Bypass the lock entirely. I just kept complaining to my office's building manager about the terrible state of their bike parking and they agreed to let me use the freight elevator and store my bike in the office.
I would absolutely love to be able to do this - I'd be able to ride my more expensive bikes to/from work and keep them parked next to my desk.
Old 04-30-24, 04:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
By the way, if you have one of the smaller New York Locks, as is shown in the YT video above, you can carry it in your belt, between the loops. Just push it U side down between your belt and pants, between the loops.
Bike messengers used to do that in Chicago.
The Levi's Commuter pants (RIP) had a doubler in the waistband so you could do it without a belt!
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty: