Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would You Ride Tires You Can't Remove on the Road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would You Ride Tires You Can't Remove on the Road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 01:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Caveat: I haven't played with hookless rims yet. That hump in the rim bead might make it harder to break the bead (as it should!), but if no laws of physics were broken to mount the tires, we shouldn't have to break any to unmount the tires.
The vast majority of hooked tubeless tires also have the bead retention humps (AFAIK, that's a recommended standard, now); IOW, hookless doesn't inherently make beadlock more of an issue. If anything, I would suspect that hookless rims, coming later in the game, will generally be more complaint to diameter and bead hump standards and have an easier time with these kinds of issues.

The most ornery bead-locked tires that I've had were on some Giant Gavia SLRs on Reynolds Assault SLGs (hooked), so this was a little earlier in the road tubeless game, when tire manufacturers were cheating to the small side and rim manufacturers were cheating to the big side. I don't recall any difficultly mounting the tires (getting them over the edges of the rims), but I do recall that they were a ***** to seat, which makes sense in retrospect.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-27-21, 01:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is there a tool to help pry out the first bit of the bead? I'm thinking something wide and thin, like a putty knife. With a slight hook across the end of the blade to help lever out the bead.
Nothing that I'm aware of, which is why I do this, which has a perfect success rate, so far -

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Learn how to break the bead - with gloves, you shouldn't have any problems (without gloves, you'll probably get some wicked blisters).

Stand the wheel in front of you, use your upper body weight and grip/twist the tire carcass away from you, one hand at a time, like you're rolling up a newspaper. The bead closest to you will pull away, in to the middle of the rim bed. If it doesn't break within a 5-10 seconds, try breaking it at a different spot.
Originally Posted by Hiro11
True. If you're unable to get the bead unseated, no tool is going to help. I will say that in years of riding tubeless, the only beads I've had trouble unseating are on fat bikes (which have extraordinarily tight beads on my rims). I've had to put the wheel on the ground and step on the sidewalls of the tires to get the bead unseated on my fatbike...
That was one of the techniques that I'd come across in my quest to remove some hellaciously tight tires. Unfortunately, with road tires, there's just not enough tire carcass to stand upon, so came up with the above.
Old 09-27-21, 01:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The vast majority of hooked tubeless tires also have the bead retention humps (AFAIK, that's a recommended standard, now); IOW, hookless doesn't inherently make beadlock more of an issue. If anything, I would suspect that hookless rims, coming later in the game, will generally be more complaint to diameter and bead hump standards and have an easier time with these kinds of issues.
I like the sound of that! With a good bead-retention hump, there should be a lot less need for the beads to fit so tightly when mounted -- that'll be good for spoke tension, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-27-21, 02:27 PM
argulator

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix, 2020 Trek FX3 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I've got another set I'll put on. Gave it another try, but sure can't get the bead broken with road tools. They mount up easy enough, no tools needed for that.
Old 09-27-21, 04:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Anyone tried sucking on the valve to break the tire bead? Please report back if you find this works.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-27-21, 04:33 PM
argulator

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix, 2020 Trek FX3 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm an old man, someone younger is gonna have to try that...
Old 09-27-21, 04:39 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by argulator
Picked up a Cervelo Caledonia-5, which has almost new tubeless-ready Reserve wheels and Vittoria Rubino pro tires, which currently have tubes in them. Problem is the tires are nearly impossible to get off the rim. Nearly impossible unless you have a bench vise handy, then it's just really difficult. Roadside, not a chance.

I could set them up tubeless, but am still leery of not being able to get a tube in them roadside, if needed. Should I just toss them, or would you ride with them tubeless?
NO! I don't ride tires that I couldn't get off at the side of the road if needed. I had a pair once that I broke two tire levers trying to get one of the tires off after puncturing. It was over 100F with high humidity on top of that. Never again! If I mount a tire and it's hard to mount at home, I try to remove it and if it's very hard to get off I use a different tire or a different wheel. I never want to have to wrestle with a tire like I did that one again.

Cheers
Old 09-28-21, 09:30 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Anyone tried sucking on the valve to break the tire bead? Please report back if you find this works.
Do any of the sealant products taste better than others?
Old 09-28-21, 10:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by kahn
Do any of the sealant products taste better than others?
I have to assume that Orange Seal has a citrusy zest, but I'll wait for user reviews.
Likes For WhyFi: