Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 02:35 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
That's funny. You didn't strike me as a Budweiser kind of person.
Old 10-28-14, 02:42 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
That's funny. You didn't strike me as a Budweiser kind of person.
The real Budweiser ... hell yes ... it's been around since the 1200s!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
budweiser.jpg (26.1 KB, 242 views)
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 10-28-14, 03:28 PM
AlTheKiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Craft beers are a joke perpetrated on the American consumer. I don't want coffee in my beer thank you very much. Espresso is espresso and beer is beer ... don't mix them

Not that that's out of the way ... people here need reading comprehension lessons.

The bikes I pointed out are hand-made in the EU at the same price point as the Surly CC.

Are any of the bikes you listed as being handmade at the same price point as the CC?

People get angry but seem to fail to read what I've written. Reading comprehension in this thread is abysmal.
someone living in england knocking craft beers... somehow it doesn't make me doubt the quality of craft beers.

Anyways, I can't wait to try a new tasty English beer!

Old 10-28-14, 03:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
someone living in england knocking craft beers... somehow it doesn't make me doubt the quality of craft beers.

I also lived (drank) extensively in Germany. Warm cask ale is great. Is there English "beer?"

I'm suspicious of the word beer in general.
Old 10-28-14, 04:42 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
The Cross-Check does not have French randonneur geometry. Not even close. It has totally conventional mid-trail sport-touring geometry. It's pretty much right in the middle of its competitors. Some CX bikes sold by other manufacturers have steeper head angles (though not many), lots of them have shallower head angles. By the way - 73 degrees is not "twitchy," certainly not to any extent that 72 degrees will necessarily feel markedly different....
You must never have ridden the two different head angles or you can't detect large differences in frame's handling charactoristics. Not a problem, it's the internet, volume/quantity over quality!
Old 10-28-14, 05:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller

That's just ignorant. England has a very large number of well-crafted ales; I know this from (a) being somewhat of a beer snob, (b) having access to great craft beer in San Diego (including two friends who founded microbreweries) (c) having lived in England for two years, and (d) continuing to occasionally buy imported english beers. A few I can think of off the top of my head: Theakston's Old Peculier (my favorite); Wychwood Hobgoblin; Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Old 10-28-14, 05:42 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Craft beers are a joke perpetrated on the American consumer. I don't want coffee in my beer thank you very much. Espresso is espresso and beer is beer ... don't mix them
I enjoy this joke tremendously and I'm pretty unimpressed by anything other than locally-brewed craft beer when I visit europe. It's sad that Germany and England allowed their formerly robust local brewing industries to be largely swalloed up by large corporate producers of carbonated urine.
Old 10-28-14, 05:47 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
edited: to stop contributing to derailment.
Old 10-28-14, 05:48 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
It's sad that Germany and England allowed their formerly robust local brewing industries to be largely swalloed up by large corporate producers of carbonated urine.
You need to travel more if you consider anything produced by a "Brauerei/Brauhaus" a "craft beer." That's American terminology for a hipster microbrew.

Old 10-28-14, 05:50 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's just ignorant. England has a very large number of well-crafted ales; I know this from (a) being somewhat of a beer snob, (b) having access to great craft beer in San Diego (including two friends who founded microbreweries) (c) having lived in England for two years, and (d) continuing to occasionally buy imported english beers. A few I can think of off the top of my head: Theakston's Old Peculier (my favorite); Wychwood Hobgoblin; Young's Double Chocolate Stout
I agree with you, but those last two are atrocious.
Old 10-28-14, 05:56 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You need to travel more if you consider anything produced by a "Brauerei/Brauhaus" a "craft beer." That's American terminology for a hipster microbrew.
as a youngster you clearly don't know and don't care about what has been lost. germany once had thousands of small breweries...
Old 10-28-14, 06:00 PM
acidfast7
Banned

as a youngster you clearly don't know and don't care about what has been lost. germany once had thousands of small breweries...
they still do. you just need to know locals.
Old 10-28-14, 06:03 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
they still do. you just need to know locals.
a few hundred...and i know plenty of locals.
Old 10-28-14, 06:10 PM
acidfast7
Banned

a few hundred...and i know plenty of locals.
great ... I'm heading to Schwaben in a few hours and I assure you that I'll sample locally brewed/distilled stuff (hopefully more Pálinka than bier, actually!).

see you there soon
Old 10-28-14, 06:10 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
The real Budweiser ... hell yes ... it's been around since the 1200s!

So you like your bikes made locally but your beer made in some vat halfway around the world, makes sense.
Old 10-28-14, 06:20 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by trailmix
So you like your bikes made locally but your beer made in some vat halfway around the world, makes sense.
??
Old 10-28-14, 07:39 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
You must never have ridden the two different head angles or you can't detect large differences in frame's handling charactoristics. Not a problem, it's the internet, volume/quantity over quality!
A 73 degree headtube will make a bike have faster handling than a 72, all being equal. But that's the thing - all is NOT equal, and the handling feel of a bike is determined by much more than just the HTA. I have a 72 deg HTA bike now that feels more nimble than the 73 HTA bike it replaced. Claiming that you can predict how a bike will handle just by seeing that it has a 73 degree HTA is absurd.
Old 10-28-14, 07:51 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Five pages so far, with thoughts from fans of the bike, critics of the bike, beer, and random arguments . Not sure what IT IS about the Surly Cross Check, but there's definitely something.
Likes For well biked:
Old 10-29-14, 12:01 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Five pages so far, with thoughts from fans of the bike, critics of the bike, beer, and random arguments . Not sure what IT IS about the Surly Cross Check, but there's definitely something.
Surely about Surly!
Old 10-29-14, 05:15 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd look at Tout Terrain frames.

Fahrräder
Thanks for the link, but it looks like they only sell complete bikes, and even none of them come close to being what I'm looking for.
Old 10-29-14, 05:32 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Ziemas
Thanks for the link, but it looks like they only sell complete bikes, and even none of them come close to being what I'm looking for.
No ... they sell frames also.

Downloads

Look through the catalogues and price lists within the aforementioned link.
Old 11-02-14, 09:05 PM
Angrybk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding a cross check for about ten months, but so far pretty much just as a commuter (4-odd miles each way, 3-4 times a week).

My opinion pretty much echoes that of most of the more-serious posters here; it's sensible but not flashy, versatile as heck, fairly heavy, probably a little overpriced, and the whole Surly "like punk! except it's a bike!" cult gets annoying. It's great for my needs because I like riding bikes with drop bars, but the streets around my office are basically Fallujah-level and I was tired of getting a flat a week. I also dig the bar-end shifters since their friction functionality is great for my OCD; any kind of chain rub tends to drive me mental.

As an aside, my previous bike (got stolen from my house) was a 2011 Raleigh Clubman, and if anything I think I liked it a little more than the cross check; sort of the same concept, but leaning more toward road-iness. Looks like the 2015 model comes with disc brakes, might be worth checking out. Raleigh Bicycles - Clubman Disc
Old 11-03-14, 10:41 AM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not going to bother reading the whole thread but I think its popularity is mostly due to the fact that it found a niche in the US market that the most of the major manufactures had abandoned, - a steel drop bar road bike with lots of tire clearance. The fact that it uses bar ends rather than STIs helps its utilitarian image.

I understand their appeal but there are now quite a few choices in that space. I'd like a similar bike with an aluminum frame and a belt drive but I'm too cheap to spend much on it. I have a bike that's close enough.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-03-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 11:19 AM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not a Surly owner just tempted by some of their bikes. I find this comment a bit odd. I think very few get into surlys as a cult of personality bike. It's not a rivendell .
Originally Posted by Angrybk
and the whole Surly "like punk! except it's a bike!" cult gets annoying.

Last edited by ricebowl; 11-03-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 12:03 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Not that that's out of the way ... people here need reading comprehension lessons.

The bikes I pointed out are hand-made in the EU at the same price point as the Surly CC.

Are any of the bikes you listed as being handmade at the same price point as the CC?

People get angry but seem to fail to read what I've written. Reading comprehension in this thread is abysmal.
Seems like an appropriate place to mention that "Surly" is the name of a local brewery as well being the name of a local bike company. "Surly Brewing" approached Surly the bike company about using the name and the bike company was OK with it as long as the brewery agreed not to sell bike jerseys and sponsor cycling events.

Having met a few of the Surly bike people, I highly suspect that free beer was part of the deal. That would get them to agree to pretty much anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.