Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

bicycle camping trailer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

bicycle camping trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 05:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
HTFU j/k.
Not practical or possible given the OP's original post.
Old 10-09-12, 07:53 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exercize can be invigorating rather than exhausting. Touring can be that kind of exercize. How are you going to get good exercize with the sort of machine you are envisioning?

You mention being out of shape. What is your response to being out of shape? What is your solution or approach? What are you going to do to change it?

Have you considered the benefits to your health and vigor, heightened energy levels, performance range, enjoyment range, longevity, and ability to enjoy touring and other activities in life, as well as ability to give and contribute?
Old 10-09-12, 08:19 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by batrike
Sorry if i put this in the wroung forum becaus of the electric motor,i just thougt of the touring part,but the 700 pounds,200 are mine,100 pound battery becaus there sla there are other lighter but expensive out there,225 pound trailer thats the one in the pic,aluminum frame plastic sheeting could work lets take off another 100 pounds.So lets round it up to 200 to 250 with gear,food,ect. it sound more realistic then.
If anybody else have any other ideas or substitution thank you.
I like the idea of a bike camper, but I don't know how to make it practical. What really puts me off in your suggestion is the motor assist. I've looked at electric-assist bicycles, and after looking at the details, I decided that they are probably not practical for long distance travel. The range is very limited, which is a double problem from a touring perspective: not only are your daily miles limited, but you will also need to limit yourself to stops where you can recharge. I originally thought I could use an electric assist just to get through the rough parts: the steep inclines, rough road, or bad headwinds, and that I could go human-powered the rest of the time. But looking at the weights involved, it seemed like adding an electric assist was going to hamper my riding enough to guarantee that I would need an electric assist for significantly more of my riding, and when the battery ran out of juice, I would really be regretting having to push the motor and battery along with whatever else I was carrying.

Basically, if you have physical problems that prevent you from being able to bike tour, then you may find ways to make an electrical assist help you get on the road, but you may not be able to do the mileage that others can. But if you are looking at electric assist because you are out of shape, the far simpler solution is to get in shape. If you just get out there and ride, you will be surprised how quickly that can happen.

It seems like one of the most popular things people do to improve their touring experience is to lighten the load. Hauling any kind of camper is going to add more weight than many tourers would want to deal with, but weight hauled behind, it might be more manageable. Still, the focus should probably be on keeping it as light as possible. Still, people manage some pretty impressive loads while keeping it human-powered. It's not what many would consider an ideal touring load, but the trip you seem to be talking about sounds more like a camping trip that you happen to bike to, rather than a bike trip that involves camping. In those circumstances, I think many of us would be willing to take a bit of a weight penalty when riding in exchange for comfort in the campground. It's just not the norm for most trips discussed here where most camping time is synonymous with sleeping time, so an elaborate camp set up is not as desirable as a light touring load.

For more practical suggestions on trailer design and how much you can reasonably expect to carry a distance, you might check out the Utility section of the forums. While the touring folks spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to carry less, it seems in the Utility forums, the focus is often on how to carry more.
Old 10-09-12, 10:36 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not practical or possible given the OP's original post.
Learn to spot a joke.
Old 10-09-12, 11:05 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
In some parts of the Netherlands and other parts of Europe you will see bikes on this theme. I had a guy in Paris at the weekend ride past on timber-sided long bike and we briefly chatted about where we were going. He was riding along quite smartly, thank you very much.

Maybe the length of the front structure might give pause as to what could be devised by someone with some imagination and skill.

The kids carrier shows a tent idea. And the bike taxi certainly looks to have potential as a caravan with fabric curtains to enclose the sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0101.JPG (68.8 KB, 41 views)
IMG_2861.jpg (99.0 KB, 37 views)
IMG_0198.jpg (75.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-09-12, 06:20 PM
BeSelfPropelled
Bicycle Evangelist

Bikes: Schwinn Home Grown Hard Tail, Schwinn Home Grown 4 Banger, Torelli Spada Road Bike, Santana Arriva Tandem, Dyno Cruiser - Single Rider Tandem Length Crusier, Trek 400 - My Commuter Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put up a post a few days ago that showed a guy with what looked like a small pickup truck camper on a bike. The post wasn't meant to be serious just adding a little humor to the day which is obvious from how it is written. Well, if you look at the comments you'll see someone who is trying to raise money to build a bike camper. They have a nice website and nice renderings but no comments on weight and it has components that would make you think it would weigh at least 100 pounds. No actual construction, just renderings. Bicycle Camper - Enjoy
Old 10-09-12, 08:40 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I'd like to see a low-profile lightweight trailer that unfolds into some sort of camping shelter...perhaps the ends can provide a sturdy hammock support, linked with netting and a tarp. Or just a standard tent. The tarp would serve to protect other gear while towing.

Vampires are hot right now, and Halloween is close. How about rigging up some coffin thingy on two wheels and towing that? Let's see who dares disturb the REST of the UNDEAD CYCLOTOURISTS!!!

Any camper style trailer looks to be very unaerodynamic and heavy, unless it's whittled out of styrofoam or areogel. Can you imagine descending a mountain road with one of those and getting hit with a 50-mph crosswind? (it happens) I also think that Walmart security can tell the difference between a bike trailer and a real RV, and would haul off your teeny trailer, with you in it if you played possum.
Old 10-09-12, 10:00 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are still looking at trailer possibilities, you might consider some of the advantages of a small and quiet gas engine (vs electric). If you can find a shop that can demonstrate a small, quiet Honda generator, you might be surprised.

The higher noise levels of most electric bikes might also be surprising.

I looked at some of your other threads -- thanks for posting and sharing btw -- and get the impression that you need a better approach to, and appreciation for, keeping your equipment weight down. You aren't alone in this. Many of us have been through it, and are still going through it.

Someone should start an online twelve-step weight watchers group or thread. I'd love to hear some true confessions and explorations of the psychology behind taking unnecessarily heavy loads.

And I think you would be doing youself a huge favor if you got onboard with a good fitness program that works for you.

Light bikes with light loads, plus a fit pilot = a whole new world.

Last edited by Niles H.; 10-10-12 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 11:30 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
Another option that would make sense would be winter travel. This could be winter in the south where it is cold, but not so bad, right on up to Canada. Some germans crossed canada in the winter, and they camped in tents much of the way. A box would be a lot more comfortable. It is windproof. It could be ventilated, while a tent just keeps building up frost. I wouldn't want to do the real winter stuff, but someone probably does. Same probably goes for rainy places. Your gear could stay absolutely dry, and you can arrange ventilation with fan ports or dorados.
Umm... no. Tent is windproof, and can be ventilated really, really well. People even use lean-tos for winter camping all the time. Problem with ventilation is, there's no easy way to heat up the incoming cold air. It's easier to just use better sleeping bags and pads. A good winter sleeping bag will keep you comfortable in the snow, under plain sky, but usually some kind of shelter is preferred. A portable cabin with no heat source would be just like a tent in winter, only heavier and more difficult to move in the snow.

Back to OP, there are tent trailers. Again, where I've camped, I see little benefits from setting up tent on a trailer vs. ground, but your requirements may differ. Here's one for example: https://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/index.php#diyrv

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-10-12, 12:42 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Umm... no. Tent is windproof, and can be ventilated really, really well. People even use lean-tos for winter camping all the time. Problem with ventilation is, there's no easy way to heat up the incoming cold air. It's easier to just use better sleeping bags and pads. A good winter sleeping bag will keep you comfortable in the snow, under plain sky, but usually some kind of shelter is preferred. A portable cabin with no heat source would be just like a tent in winter, only heavier and more difficult to move in the snow.

Back to OP, there are tent trailers. Again, where I've camped, I see little benefits from setting up tent on a trailer vs. ground, but your requirements may differ. Here's one for example: https://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/index.php#diyrv

--J
Most winter tents are not wind proof, they consist of a fly over a tent, which is made, other than the tub floor, of uncoated nylon. While it does not stop the air infiltration (good thing I suppose), it does get covered with frost, which is why they sell frost liners for some of these tents. Though they are usually not needed for a few days. I don't imagine a trailer would be free of all problems either.

Tent trailer don't interest me much. The benefit with the ones cars pull is that they are much faster to set up, and almost all the stuff one carries is in place, and does not require a lot of packing and unpacking. If something close to that could be achieved, it might have a point. For others, who may not sleep well on the ground or in a hammock, they can deliver a camp cot bed.

Last edited by MassiveD; 10-10-12 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 12:55 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not a bike camping situation, and the attached site has grphic photos.

https://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ear_attack.htm

These guys were armed, and all it would have taken to survive this attack unharmed would have been a little more time to deploy the arms. Even poly hard plastic is hard to bite through at the outset. I am not sure that folks who are scared of this kind of thing (you should be scared of polar bears, but you should not encounter them many places one is likely to take a bike), are going to be placated by bags. And the Bear bags are not approved in some parks because the bears can gain access to them. The bags just stop the bears from eating the contents, not chewing the heck out of them. If they worked, they would solve the problem of the bears getting at food, they do not keep the bears from destroying your food. They are going to be breaking your bones if they get you wrapped up in a tent made of that stuff.

There is also the idea of scent control. A hard object can control scent which is essential, and also hide movement and noise better.

I am not personally serious about the bear thing, I am just pointing out things a hard shell does that a soft one does not. Maybe it just keeps raccoons out of your stuff...
Old 10-10-12, 01:02 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry if i put this in the wroung forum becaus of the electric motor,i just thougt of the touring part,but the 700 pounds,200 are mine,100 pound battery becaus there sla there are other lighter but expensive out there,225 pound trailer thats the one in the pic,aluminum frame plastic sheeting could work lets take off another 100 pounds.So lets round it up to 200 to 250 with gear,food,ect. it sound more realistic then.
If anybody else have any other ideas or substitution thank you.
As long as the thread stays alive, no problem. I just meant that you can stretch a point here a little, but when you talk about 700 pounds and motors, you are probably going to loose pretty much every one.

You can make a canoe out of wood that carry several people for about 50 pounds. Saw it in half and fold it over, you have am 8 foot trailer, just as an example. There isn't any reason for a trailer to weight a ton.

Interestingly, it is not all that unusual for climbers climbing El Cap to take a week or more, and haul 350 pounds of gear straight up a kilometre. It is also possible to climb El Cap in 3 hours. The same thing could be the case for bike touring, fast, and cover a lot of area, or find a really amazing area, and take a lot of time.
Old 10-10-12, 01:08 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.

Light bikes with light loads, plus a fit pilot = a whole new world.

Light bikes, with light load, and unfit, or crippled pilot, even more pivotal.
Old 10-10-12, 10:51 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I think a person could come up with something if they really wanted.Granted,it's not going to be as light as some options,but it does have some real advantages.I'd give it a whirl if I was into trailers.

Old 10-10-12, 03:27 PM
batrike

Bikes: trek fx7.2/trek marlin 6

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all of you even the ones just find it ridiculous to the idea of a heavier setup when a light one should suffice.But i believe i am going to go ahead with it,i think a metal frame 76"L x 36"W x 50"H with a tricycle type setup 20" wheels to even the weight and put less strain on the hitch,a triangle front to cut the wind should help, some type of light aluminum sheeting.Well that's about what i got for now,i will start looking in the frame forum see if i can find a shop that can build it here in NYC (prefer to leave that to an expert)if you know somebody let me know and then go from there.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Capture.PNG (97.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-12, 03:40 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project -- good luck with it, and please post some pictures as it progresses.
Old 10-10-12, 05:28 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
I'd like to see a low-profile lightweight trailer that unfolds into some sort of camping shelter...perhaps the ends can provide a sturdy hammock support, linked with netting and a tarp. Or just a standard tent. The tarp would serve to protect other gear while towing.
Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Bush...ds=bike+camper

At 68 pounds, I'd still rather use panniers and a tent.
Old 10-10-12, 07:53 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MassiveD
If this is a thread about a power assisted 700 pound trailer, that isn't even really on topic. This is human powered site. I don't conceptually see anything wrong with one of the heavier end trailers, like the burning man or hobo types, being slowed to a snails pace in fine weather is not what anyone around here has in mind. But there are situations where it might make sense. But if it isn't human powered, then it is another forum, ATMO. You also have to be very careful. You would be way over the limit for a lot of components. You are going to start to need trailer brakes, and real serious brakes on the bike. It just ends up not being a bike bin kind of project, something more in the range of a scooter, and even then I don't think they are designed around that kind of load.
And I really hope that the trailer has brakes... cause I wouldn't want to try and stop that much weight without them.
Old 10-10-12, 10:01 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
HTFU j/k.
htfu, ha.

I look at that shot and I think, mmm his chain looks a little slack, but thats real good mud clearance on the rear fender....and oh wait, hes pulling an Airstream!

and yes Nun, sniff sniff, methinks the same.
Old 10-10-12, 10:31 PM
stevepusser

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Bush...ds=bike+camper

At 68 pounds, I'd still rather use panniers and a tent.
Something a bit better designed, I think. Four wheels? What for? And the reviews say it's shoddily built and designed.
Old 10-10-12, 10:52 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSnE...=results_video heh, has potential as a trailer-hammock. Would make a great commercial product. . .
Old 10-11-12, 03:08 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
htfu, ha.

I look at that shot and I think, mmm his chain looks a little slack, but thats real good mud clearance on the rear fender....and oh wait, hes pulling an Airstream!

and yes Nun, sniff sniff, methinks the same.
A slight technical observation -- the chain is taut across the top run, which is what counts. The bottom run can be as slack as you like (but in line) and that's what helps derailleurs do what they do.
Old 10-11-12, 03:41 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hundred pounds of batteries just doesn't go down smoothly for many of us, especially those whose thinking is steeped in UL.

A hundred pounds here, eighty there... it starts to add up.

UL has covered this ground, but on the level of ounces or grams.

You are in another realm, as far as weight goes. Realms beyond.

It is almost like some strange science fiction it is so other realmish.

That said, here is an idea: make something like a large bear canister that you can sleep in.

Like some of the canisters sold to backpackers, it could be made of carbon fiber for strength and low weight. As a side benefit, it would be easy to make it watertight and floatable. This opens up whole new realms of design and travel and camping possibilities and inspirations. Especially if you can incorporate UL engines and sails.
Old 10-11-12, 05:07 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.
A hundred pounds here, eighty there... it starts to add up.
As one who probably goes to the opposite extreme that cracked me up!

I have to wonder if this thread is for real. I have a hard time imagining anyone who has ever ridden a bike thinking that carrying hundreds of pounds on a bike while on tour is a good idea.
Old 10-11-12, 08:26 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks to all of you even the ones just find it ridiculous to the idea of a heavier setup when a light one should suffice.But i believe i am going to go ahead with it,i think a metal frame 76"L x 36"W x 50"H with a tricycle type setup 20" wheels to even the weight and put less strain on the hitch,a triangle front to cut the wind should help, some type of light aluminum sheeting.Well that's about what i got for now,i will start looking in the frame forum see if i can find a shop that can build it here in NYC (prefer to leave that to an expert)if you know somebody let me know and then go from there.

Sorry but I've towed cargo trailers over 20,000 miles and your pipedream just cracks me up.

Originally Posted by stevepusser
Something a bit better designed, I think. Four wheels? What for? And the reviews say it's shoddily built and designed.
I've posted about this before: The OP on that Amazon thread later realized that he had assembled the trailer incorrectly, and once he had corrected his mistake it operated fine. You have to follow all the comments to the end to discover that, unfortunately for the vendor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.