Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

hope i don't get a series of flats again. slow leak help pls.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 07:49 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so a while back i had a series of slow leak flats.

i coudn't find what's puncturing it. wasted 3 tubes.

i took it to a shop and they said they found a little glass that's very hard to find and not really sticking out. but i guess when im riding, it does push through enough to nick the inner tube for a slow leak.

so now, i got a slow leak flat again. i inspected very carefully and found nothing on both the tire and rim.

if i flat again by the time i need to go home from work, then i dunno what to do anymore.

how do you deal with slow leak flats with no clear signs of what's causing it?

thanks.
Old 10-11-12, 08:12 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Always install the tire so that the label is even with the valve. Then note where the hole is in the innertube. That will tell you where precisely to look in the tire. Inspect that area carefully, taking the tire off the wheel, and flipping it inside out if necessary.

Sometimes you can have a piece of glass, or wire that doesn't show itself without pressure. However, with some effort, pushing on the tire, and running a finger nail over the suspect area you'll eventually find the problem.

Don't put a new tube in until you've identified the problem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-11-12, 08:18 AM
vermilionx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Always install the tire so that the label is even with the valve. Then note where the hole is in the innertube. That will tell you where precisely to look in the tire. Inspect that area carefully, taking the tire off the wheel, and flipping it inside out if necessary.

Sometimes you can have a piece of glass, or wire that doesn't show itself without pressure. However, with some effort, pushing on the tire, and running a finger nail over the suspect area you'll eventually find the problem.

thanks. i definitely install the tire like that.

i forgot to mention i did also dip the tube in water to find the leak and found it on the bottom of the tire.

BUT, i took my time inspecting the bottom of the tire and still found nothing. looked inside out and bent it a few times to see if there's something gonna stick out. no luck.

my tire has a lot of cuts but it's still good accdg to the thread wear indicator (GP4kS).

thanks.
Old 10-11-12, 08:47 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An easy way to avoid some of this is to go with a tougher tire. My new bike came with a set of Michelin Pro Race 3s and while they provide a great, supple ride, they're also very prone to slow leak flats because it doesn't take much to get stuck in the tire and cause a slow leak. Sometimes the piece of glass is so small, you have to look over the entire tire two or three times to find it.

Personally, that was just too much of a headache for me since I'm not racing. I gladly give up a little cushion for more durability and went to Gatorskins for everyday use.
Old 10-11-12, 08:50 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Valve leak? They do that...

Had Pro Race 3s also and while I wouldn't say I had a lot of flats, I did have lots of cuts in the tire and when the tread is worn out, it goes FAST! Switched to Specialized Turbo Elite and while the thread count is "low" the tread holds up well and I have yet to have a flat. No cuts in the tire like with the Michelins.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 10-11-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 11:06 AM
capita
can I has barspinz?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar issue yesterday at the office yesterday. Tire wouldn't hold air for more than a couple hours. Upon inspection, couldn't find any punctures, but it turned out that in my haste the night before changing a tube, it had twisted in the tire. Inflated just fine the night before, so I didn't think anything of it. Reseated the tube properly, re-inflated....no issues after that.
Old 10-11-12, 11:21 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts

I just learned something new! I honestly never gave tire label position any thought at all before. Thanks!

Even more than glass, I hate those stupid little pieces of steel wire that are cast off from the disintigrated steel-belted tires on the side of the road. Second are those pesky goathead spines... It pays to give your tires a close inspection every time you get off your bicycle.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 10-11-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 11:36 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully you can find the hole in the tube. if not, you may have to inflate it and submerge it in water to find the leak. (I can almost always find it via the hissing of air.) Then you can use thoes localizing tips above to find the culprit.

I had this just happen to me last week - flatted slowly, then patched a tube, then reinstalled it, just to find a pinhole leak in the CENTER of my patch! Clearly something was stuck there (I actually couldn't find it, but it's ok now.)

And while we're at it, I'd recommend getting a patch kit. They're a godsend for times like these where you'll go through 2-3 tubes at once with tiny pinhole leaks. You can fix 'em all at once in minutes and they'll be as good as new.
Old 10-11-12, 01:28 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just buy a new tire, or, check your rim, tire, tube and use common sense.
Old 10-11-12, 03:37 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Always install the tire so that the label is even with the valve....

This.

Replacing a tube without knowing you've solved the problem will cause nothing but headaches

Originally Posted by vermilionx

my tire has a lot of cuts but it's still good accdg to the thread wear indicator (GP4kS).
Ignore the indicators and trust your observations. If you've damaged the inside of the tire, it can cause flats even if you've removed the metal/glass/whatever and the tire is brand new unless you've patched from the inside. Roads vary dramatically, and the point you'll want to replace depends on where and how you ride as well as the specifics of the tire.
Old 10-11-12, 05:49 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the same problem for the last 3 days. Finally found the culprit... small bit of black wire that was just short enough to hide in the tire when its was deflated but puncture the tube every time when inflated. I was about to buy a whole new set of tires because it was driving me nuts!
Old 10-11-12, 05:54 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Dang wires:

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/Royswire.jpg

Old 10-11-12, 06:40 PM
vermilionx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, it looks like im fine for now.

still inflated after a full work shift.

and yeah, i do have a lot of cuts but the inner thread isn't showing anywhere.
Old 10-11-12, 06:44 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rotten tubes can happen. i bought a couple that had slow leaks. change for a fresh tube, if not good enough, change tyre, if not good enough, change wheelset
Old 10-11-12, 06:45 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Take the tire completely off the wheel. Turn it inside out and then, going very slowly, inspect the tire with the side walls maximally flattened out. This will expand any cuts and force any small slivers or shards up.
Old 10-11-12, 06:51 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a patch kit and save yourself some money as well. Nothing wrong with a patched tube and it will save you $$$. everything else has already been said.
Old 10-11-12, 07:01 PM
vermilionx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Take the tire completely off the wheel. Turn it inside out and then, going very slowly, inspect the tire with the side walls maximally flattened out. This will expand any cuts and force any small slivers or shards up.
thanks, i do this and i do usually find something.

i just get really worried and when i don't find anything.