Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 09:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Primo gravel! That east coast scenery always gives me the "Do you hear banjos?" vibe though.
I'm so far removed from real activities right now that even that picture has appeal to me. Sad.
Old 03-18-24, 09:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Speaking of throwbacks, in all your posts where you tried to sell godforsaken Wyoming as somehow being desirable, you never once mentioned this gem.

https://twitter.com/webster/status/1768853111752561088
Dang, I didn't know any of 'em had porta potties. Surely there's nobody around for miles, so I'd just go au natural
Old 03-18-24, 09:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by genejockey
But our need for amphibious vehicles is a lot more limited.
Definitely. Just say no to swamps.

This beauty just showed up on the MP. Kinda long way to get to dunes too I think. All the sand junkies I know in PHX head out to Glamis, but I think there's driveable dunes in AZ down by Yuma somewhere too.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-18-24, 09:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Dang the MP is hot right now. This beauty is in Scottsdale, asking $79k though

RAOTD

Old 03-18-24, 10:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I'm so far removed from real activities right now that even that picture has appeal to me. Sad.
well it is a nice photo objectively

hope you are well enough to ride soon
Old 03-18-24, 10:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by TMonk
hope you are well enough to ride soon
Thanks.

I started RINVOQ two weeks ago. The first week there was definite improvement. I thought I might be within days of attempting a cycling activity.

Then, last week I regressed.

It's said that for the patients who respond well to the drug, it can take up to twelve weeks to get there. I don't know what to expect in the next several weeks.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 03-18-24, 10:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

good luck
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-24, 10:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

This is the least probable bracket I've made in a while... I call it west coast domination, 2024

Go Zags!!!

Old 03-18-24, 11:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Thanks.

I started RINVOQ two weeks ago. The first week there was definite improvement. I thought I might be within days of attempting a cycling activity.

It's said that for the patients who respond well to the drug, it can take up to twelve weeks to get there. I don't know what to expect in the next several weeks.

I hope it kicks in and produces results
Old 03-18-24, 11:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

It's Patrick McGoohan's Bday

Penny Farthinging is serious business

Old 03-19-24, 12:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

xkcd for the dougs

Old 03-19-24, 01:12 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Dang the MP is hot right now. This beauty is in Scottsdale, asking $79k though

RAOTD

Worth it. how often do you get the chance to buy a road version of a Group B rally car?
Likes For gnome:
Old 03-19-24, 02:48 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
After that happened to me I always try to take extra layers if I go into the mountains. I didn't get the shakes too bad but I got hypothermia and got pretty sick.

Looks like great ride except for the freezing part.

Yea, my bud was having issues with the cold early on, we cut 10 miles off of our planned route because the wind was so bad we were not going to finish before dark. We made this decision, we had 30 miles to get to the car. I was still in full working order, he was not, but around -8 miles I started to get affected by the cold bad and we had 2 long descents. By the time I got to the final descent I wasn’t sure if I could make it down. I don’t know what hypothermia feels like, but I was pretty darn concerned that I was experiencing this or the start of it or very damn close.

We had chosen a new route which over lapped some of our previous routes, but man I did not care for it. There a 9 mile climb that we always do but that’s followed by a 5 mile easy gravel descent. When we got to the top of the climb the new route had us go left. That was brutal, the gravel road was closed and for for reason, really bad shape. Also there was no descent for a long time, ended up being more climbing, this is where it started to go down hill. Also the gravel turned into this quick sand like substance. I though both my tires went flat, speed dropped significantly and took a lot of effort to go forward.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-19-24, 03:48 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Yea, my bud was having issues with the cold early on, we cut 10 miles off of our planned route because the wind was so bad we were not going to finish before dark. We made this decision, we had 30 miles to get to the car. I was still in full working order, he was not, but around -8 miles I started to get affected by the cold bad and we had 2 long descents. By the time I got to the final descent I wasn’t sure if I could make it down. I don’t know what hypothermia feels like, but I was pretty darn concerned that I was experiencing this or the start of it or very damn close.

We had chosen a new route which over lapped some of our previous routes, but man I did not care for it. There a 9 mile climb that we always do but that’s followed by a 5 mile easy gravel descent. When we got to the top of the climb the new route had us go left. That was brutal, the gravel road was closed and for for reason, really bad shape. Also there was no descent for a long time, ended up being more climbing, this is where it started to go down hill. Also the gravel turned into this quick sand like substance. I thought both my tires went flat, speed dropped significantly and took a lot of effort to go forward.
Sounds epic
Old 03-19-24, 05:37 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I hope it kicks in and produces results
Ditto.

Old 03-19-24, 07:06 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by phrantic09
sounds awful
fify
Old 03-19-24, 07:09 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
I just don't think west coasters are very disciplined sportsballers, unless they can raise John Wooded from the grave to coach again.
You usually don’t make mistakes like that so it must be an intentional swipe. Ouch.
Old 03-19-24, 07:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

body weight up to 147 this morning, pretty common after a mini block like I had over F/S/Su. Had to eat a ton and a bit bloated from the fatigue. A couple days of light spinning and clean eating and I'll be right back down to 145. Hopefully with some gainz in the legs (by way of metabolic efficiency)
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-19-24, 08:20 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
This is the least probable bracket I've made in a while... I call it west coast domination, 2024

Go Zags!!!

Good one.
Old 03-19-24, 08:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

We had chosen a new route which over lapped some of our previous routes, but man I did not care for it. There a 9 mile climb that we always do but that’s followed by a 5 mile easy gravel descent. When we got to the top of the climb the new route had us go left. That was brutal, the gravel road was closed and for for reason, really bad shape. Also there was no descent for a long time, ended up being more climbing, this is where it started to go down hill. Also the gravel turned into this quick sand like substance. I though both my tires went flat, speed dropped significantly and took a lot of effort to go forward.
A few of us went up this 9 mile climb on the dirt. Hardtail mtb with shorts and short sleeves. Near the top (it was under 4000 feet) the temperature dropped like a rock and it started snowing. So I'm wet from sweating and now I have to descend a rough trail and I froze. The others had extra layers. I was sick after that.

Went road riding up to about 7000 feet after a snow. Road was plowed but there were no cars and I was alone. It got a lot colder and after I turned around the little streams flowing across the road had frozen solid. I had 3 layers but wished I had another. It felt like my core temp was getting dangerously low after just a couple minutes of descending so I kept turning back to climb a little and get a little warmer. Plus I had to worry about ice. Made it down without incident.

I used to do this mountain bike trail over an 8K foot mountain into a motorcycle park on the other side, then out to the highway where I left my car. The loop was 5-6 hours depending on who was there. Like a dumbass, I took my ex and my friend's wife on a cold day. They were both good with climbing but neither was prepared for the harsh conditions. When we got over the mountain I told them to wait and I would ride to retrieve the car and pick them up at the trailhead. After some time I got a ride from the ranger to the highway and got the car and headed back. I found them barely moving but on their bikes. They looked so out of place and I felt like such an idiot. Friend could hardly speak and my ex wasn't much better off.

There is a mountain road near here that climbs over a ridge @5400 feet. First time I ever did it I had tonsillitis and felt crappy. There is a 9 mile climb, then some steepish ups and downs, then a 6 mile climb to the summit. I only had a loose-knit wool jersey, no other layers, and when I got to the 6 mile climb I was toast and the other riders were long gone. There was a nasty headwind and it was the coldest part of the ride but I made it to the top. They were waiting for me and one of them said "You don't look so good". I felt awful but after descending the other side and getting some food I felt much better for the rest of the ride.

I could do this all morning but it's time to ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-19-24, 08:58 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I call it west coast domination, 2024
Old 03-19-24, 09:32 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Thanks.

Hope things improve soon, V V.
Old 03-19-24, 09:59 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
bigjohn

Yea I think my core temperature was dangerous low. I didn’t want to leave my friend behind so I would get out of the saddle and power house up the rollers trying to get some warmth created. This worked a couple of times, but soon that didn’t work anymore. There was nothing I could do to warm myself up. There was no traffic at all, Part of me wanted power to my car and go back for my friend but I was concerned that A. I might not make it, and B. What happens if something happens to him.

I had a pretty big scare coming down winter green the final descent, 6-8 miles of down and steep down.

We started together but gave each other plenty of space, it’s a bunch of switch backs, but at the bottom it straightens out. I made it to the bottom and looked over my shoulder and never saw him. I kept checking and checking finally he appeared but it seemed way too long. I almost went down on the descent, hit 45 mph, usually go 55 mph but my hands were not working. There is a really sharp turn and I was squeezing the rear break, but I wasn’t slowing enough so forced myself to use the front. Left hand was numb so I couldn’t control how hard I was pulling.

Anyways, I’m def going back but we both decided the low for the day needs to be 60, I am not going if it’s colder than that.
Old 03-19-24, 10:59 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by badger1
Hope things improve soon, V V.
Gotta get this action going.

Old 03-19-24, 11:00 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Infringe on their privacy? If you drive a Unimog you are only doing so to attention ***** yourself!

agree - but in this case the Unimog is basically hidden in a fairly secluded rural part of north western PA near the Allegheny river … ‘away from civilization’ … ( no cell phone service in many spots in this area ) … basically dirt / fire roads leading to the house / garage / spot where it was parked

pictures above of the area - the Unimog was parked relatively close to this trail in an area with a few other houses

indyfabz has ridden this trail (probably a number of times)

Last edited by t2p; 03-19-24 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For t2p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.