Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What if budding musicians asked the same questions as new cyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 05:57 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"hey, I just started playing this guitar. I can sit in with you guys right? I mean, we all have instruments!"
"I just got this trumpet but I can't play any high notes. how do you guys do that? I mean I have been playing like forever and I can't do them? is it a trick?"
"should I buy this twenty-thousand dollar saxophone? will it make me play like sonny rollins? I mean, HE has one!"
"I practice all the time so I should be able to play in this orchestra! I mean, I have been doing this for a WHOLE YEAR"
Old 01-11-12, 05:59 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel ya!
Old 01-11-12, 06:00 PM
supafast213

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They do. Check out Harmony Central.
Old 01-11-12, 06:07 PM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only way to get good at riding with people is to ride with people. Bikes or music, you learn a lot more spending time around people who know a lot more than you. No one with experience owes a beginner the right to ride/play with him but it sure is nice for the beginner when it happens.
Old 01-11-12, 06:08 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as a drummer, it's very much the same. jamming with a group of other musicians to form a band or join an existing band is much like joining a amateur race team. You tag along for a ride or two, see if you mesh well with the group and if all goes well, join the team. very similar process playing in bands when i was growing up.
Old 01-11-12, 06:09 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They do.
Old 01-11-12, 06:12 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
"I just bought this super expensive guitar but I still suck. Shouldn't I be like 100 times better??"
Old 01-11-12, 06:16 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
"hey, I just started playing this guitar. I can sit in with you guys right? I mean, we all have instruments!"
"I just got this trumpet but I can't play any high notes. how do you guys do that? I mean I have been playing like forever and I can't do them? is it a trick?"
"should I buy this twenty-thousand dollar saxophone? will it make me play like sonny rollins? I mean, HE has one!"
"I practice all the time so I should be able to play in this orchestra! I mean, I have been doing this for a WHOLE YEAR"
It must of been nice for you when you started riding and never needed to ask any questions. I guess that not everyone becomes a pro cyclist on their first day on a bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-11-12, 06:27 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's why I'm a professional accordionist. I've never had a single person ask me during a gig to play it.

Harmony Central is the 41 of music.

Bye Guyz!
Old 01-11-12, 06:29 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
D'addario or Ernie Ball?
Old 01-11-12, 06:29 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stratocaster or Les Paul?
Old 01-11-12, 06:34 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere. I don't mind answering any question I can for beginning cyclist. I'm old, but I can still remember asking a lot of "dumb" questions. I have to say most people were very nice to me then and I try to be the same way to newbes.
Old 01-11-12, 06:44 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
It must of been nice for you when you started riding and never needed to ask any questions. I guess that not everyone becomes a pro cyclist on their first day on a bike.
Marc Cherry in Arrested Development:

IT'S A SATIRE!
Old 01-11-12, 08:18 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You know that guy who's a semi-professional musician, who takes the time to show the new guy some tips, answers some questions, and plays a little bit with him to encourage him to keep learning? The guy that takes a $100 pawn shop saxophone and makes it sound like Sonny Rollins just to show that it's the player, not the instrument? I'm that guy, both with music, and on the bike. I get a lot of people who come back for more, especially when I help them break past barriers they didn't think they could pass. Makes it all worth it.

It's supposed to be fun. Don't take it so seriously.
Old 01-11-12, 08:35 PM
Handelfan

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a junior high/high school music teacher. I get questions like this all the time.
Old 01-11-12, 09:07 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People who are new to organ:

"If I get a Leslie speaker, will I sound like Goldy Mcjohn from Steppenwolf?"
"Any reason I can't use this 60's electronic spinet organ to play Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor?"
"Why do organs have two keyboards, aren't they just like pianos?"

People who are new to synthesizers:

"Are those synthesizers like cheating? I mean, they make all the music for you, don't they?
"It must be very easy to play synthesizer since you can only play one note at a time."
"You know, you wouldn't have to have all of those heavy old keyboards if you got a new one. They have 100 sounds, including piano.
Old 01-11-12, 09:08 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
as jazz guitarist and guitar repairman this is a great thread. Reminds me of a question studends ask about learning to read music. It is not necessary but just like taking a bike out for a ride and not plan for a flat, sometime you may wish you had a spare tube or patch kit. The other one is about buying a better guitar will that help? To a point good equipment helps but in th end it is all about you can play. Joe Pass could have made a cheap guitar sound great and Lance can easily ride faster on than you on a no name china CF frame.

Ok you can sit in just pull up a chair but we call the tunes, if you want to ride along then follow the course we are riding and if you cannot keep up then we simply drop your butt. No we cannot change keys or course just because you do not like the hills or the wind.

As a repairman the next thing is you bring your bike and think we need to fix it for almost nothing or somehow I need the practice so you should give me a break. My answer is that you guitar clearly needs a lot of work new frets, maybe some repair to cracks, but I do not need the practice I do this for a living. Pay me or take the guitar to someone practicing. How about the situation that if I change the pickups I can get that sound I hear in my head I am sure. My answer is that my bike is not a Trek or major name brand that stands out, but I can ride it just as fast as you bike and I can keep up unless your are a Lance or pro.

Finally, I am on old guy these days after turning 50 and while I may seem to not have the burning sprinters speed and live on the edge of pushing the limits of good sense but, you never want to stay with me for the long ride. You might find that after 100 miles in the saddle I have plenty of endurance from years of work. The counter is that I may very well not burn the greatest, fastest, original guitar playing, I know alot of tunes and can play the melody.

This probably made no sense to anyone.
Old 01-11-12, 09:21 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, i thought this was going to be a pcad thread.....
Old 01-11-12, 09:25 PM
Sir Real
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Old 01-11-12, 09:31 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Newbies are newbies in any activity. Experience riders should be patient with them for two reasons: First, everyone was once the newb and like anyone else, newbs are seeking acceptance so they try to fit in (some more successfully than others). Second, the reason newbs want to hang with and try to act like experienced riders is that they aspire to be like you. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery so lighten up and try mentoring them. I'm a relative newb to serious cycling and just a year in people are already asking me questions (especially since my weight and fitness have improved significantly) about how to get started, what bike to get, etc. I offer what assistance I can and then refer them to the people who have been mentors to me.
Old 01-11-12, 10:00 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike/guitar parallels are even funnier with the veterans who relish in mediocrity.

I mean, only Freds with mirrors on their helmets play the blues through 15W boutique tube amps.

Last edited by Kind of Blued; 01-11-12 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 10:25 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Except in classical music, and possibly other genres, starting early gives you a near-complete advantage in the field.

I started playing violin at age 4, ended up in a good music conservatory, and went to Juilliard precollege for several years. None of my peers at Juilliard who could play at near my level (and I wasn't even the top dog there) on the violin started after age 5. None of them.

It was actually sad for me to see the numerous aspiring concert violinists in the Juilliard collegiate division, many of whom had started playing violin late, like age 9-12. It didn't matter how much they practiced, even 8 hours a day, for years - they could never equal the folks who started early and continued with it, even if we didn't practice anywhere near as hard.

This is well known in the classical music field - the first thing a top Juilliard teacher in violin will recommend is to start your kids playing seriously as early as possible. Age 3 is not too early.

In endurance sports like running and cycling and triathlon, there are lots of late bloomers who haven't bike or run a single mile in their life until they are teenagers, and then end up winning the national championship in less than 2 years.
Old 01-11-12, 10:28 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just cultivate a generous spirit in all things and sphere of life. I have found that the people I've met and liked all my life, have this important personality trait, be it friends, lovers, co-workers........ You get the drift.
Old 01-11-12, 10:40 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
as a drummer,
He said musicians.
Old 01-11-12, 10:45 PM
PinkBabyMonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always hear from other trumpet players what new mouthpiece they just switched to, and how great it is, and then 3 months later, they find the next "greatest mouthpiece". It's the same with many cyclists; always something new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.