Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 01-22-14, 12:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts

The old thread was nearly 7 years old and we as mods need to sort of purge old, long threads to relieve some of the stress on the database.

So, Post your Track training and Racing Bikes! Some of us like to see other setups in order to learn or simply nerd-out on bikes. Show us your bike.

Here's a chance to repost your bikes if you posted in the old thread

Please, not street fixed gears or proper track bikes that don't actually go to the track. There is a separate forum for that here: https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...amp-Fixed-Gear

Last edited by carleton; 01-22-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

My current bike:

Tiemeyer Signature Track

My previous bikes:

LOOK 496 Pista

Dolan DF3

Tiemeyer Signature Track (Annodized)

Last edited by carleton; 01-22-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:48 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oof! Nice selection!
Old 01-22-14, 02:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by AlexTaylor
Oof! Nice selection!
Thanks! I have more money than sense

Here's what I learned:

- Fit trumps materials every time. A properly fitting aluminum bike is better than carbon.
- Proprietary stems slip.
- Proprietary seatposts slip. 27.2mm seatposts are king.
- Steel track ends slip.
- Titanium track ends don't slip.
Old 01-22-14, 03:17 PM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your current setup is definitely the best looking one, I know that doesn't matter in terms of racing. But that's a really attractive setup you've got.
Old 01-22-14, 04:03 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That saddle on that LOOK seems weirdly placed to me, compared to the other three bikes. Way further back than the others.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-22-14, 04:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
That saddle on that LOOK seems weirdly placed to me, compared to the other three bikes. Way further back than the others.
Good eye.

I used to ride 165mm cranks and sit way forward in order to spin them. Last year (under Kirk) I switched to longer cranks, moved the saddle back, and changed other parts of the fit in order to push bigger gears. It was starting to work. Power numbers went up. But, I quit as the season started when work got really stressful.

Here is a more recent pic of my setup:

Notice the setback.

I don't use the Arione anymore, though.
Old 01-22-14, 05:27 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Thanks! I have more money than sense
Same here, which isn't best ever as I hardly have any money...
Old 01-22-14, 05:29 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New toy:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-01-07 22.27.56_mod.jpg (86.8 KB, 5697 views)
2014-01-17 10.55.39_mod.jpg (83.1 KB, 5808 views)
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-22-14, 05:31 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Here's mine...

My Felt TK2. I plan to race this at T-town in the Sat. afternoon "Rookies & Masters" races in 2014. The bike is pretty much bone stock. I did replace the Felt aero carbon seatpost with a Nitto alloy unit. Also, I'm currently using 38 cm FSA bars - not really ideal, but they're good enough for now (and better than the funky 3T Sphinx bars that came with it from the factory, IMO).

Mike

Attached Images
Felt_03.jpg (62.1 KB, 2808 views)
Old 01-22-14, 06:05 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New toy
Cool! I ordered one of those a week or so ago. I live 35 minutes away from Dolan so I went in person and will be going to collect it when it's ready and Mr Dolan will make sure it fits
Old 01-22-14, 06:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Your current setup is definitely the best looking one, I know that doesn't matter in terms of racing. But that's a really attractive setup you've got.
Thanks!

New toy:
Nice! have you been on the track with it yet?

Originally Posted by Mikey58
My Felt TK2. I plan to race this at T-town in the Sat. afternoon "Rookies & Masters" races in 2014. The bike is pretty much bone stock. I did replace the Felt aero carbon seatpost with a Nitto alloy unit. Also, I'm currently using 38 cm FSA bars - not really ideal, but they're good enough for now (and better than the funky 3T Sphinx bars that came with it from the factory, IMO).

Mike
I've always loved that bike. It's a great all-around bike.
Old 01-22-14, 06:22 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexTaylor
Cool! I ordered one of those a week or so ago. I live 35 minutes away from Dolan so I went in person and will be going to collect it when it's ready and Mr Dolan will make sure it fits
It's a pretty fine bike. You'll love it.

One thing that struck me... the Forza is billed as a pursuit and enduro bike, but the geometry is almost identical to the DF3 so I figured I'd get this since it was priced better and the front end geometry was a little more like my other bikes (74.5 degree headtube as opposed to 74 degree for the DF3). Well, I was struck by how stout this bike is; the frame is surprisingly heavy, especially the aero seat post. Not at all like the carbon road bike frames I've seen. I'm a sprinter, so this is a good thing. I don't really care what their marketing copy says... this bike is a fine sprint bike. I can't wait until the track opens up in the spring.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 01-22-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 06:25 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice! have you been on the track with it yet?
Not yet. Just got it this month. Do you know if Alpenrose is even rideable right now? It's been an unnaturally dry winter this year... maybe I'll take it out soon and give it a whirl.
Old 01-22-14, 06:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Not yet. Just got it this month. Do you know if Alpenrose is even rideable right now? It's been an unnaturally dry winter this year... maybe I'll take it out soon and give it a whirl.
I was wondering the same thing. It has been relatively warm, too. I'll ask Kirk. He'd probably know.
Old 01-22-14, 07:12 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New toy:

[bike pics snipped]
Pretty!

I'm a little bummed I missed out on Tiemeyers. I'm sure the void will be filled though, so I should have an opportunity to get the next great thing.
Old 01-22-14, 08:03 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a pretty fine bike. You'll love it.

One thing that struck me... the Forza is billed as a pursuit and enduro bike, but the geometry is almost identical to the DF3 so I figured I'd get this since it was priced better and the front end geometry was a little more like my other bikes (74.5 degree headtube as opposed to 74 degree for the DF3). Well, I was struck by how stout this bike is; the frame is surprisingly heavy, especially the aero seat post. Not at all like the carbon road bike frames I've seen. I'm a sprinter, so this is a good thing. I don't really care what their marketing copy says... this bike is a fine sprint bike. I can't wait until the track opens up in the spring.
I've heard a few people say that the Forza is plenty stiff enough for the sprints. In fact there are a few sprinters have them and they are on special offer at Dolan so it was rude not to...

I'll be using mine for track and he's drilling the fork for me so I can use it as a fixed TT bike. Can't wait to get it! As soon as I do I'll be trying it out at Manchester velodrome.
Old 01-22-14, 10:10 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tiemeyer! RIP! i am apparently the only person in nearly 700 bikes that broke the binder bolt support on the frame.. awesome bike!

i love the DF3! a buddy sold me his used- really a great bike!

i was demo'ing this one for the distributor.. had some post slip issues that were made worse by the fact i had to change saddles 2x a day (saddle set-back reg) now that i can have 1 saddle position for sprint and TT i will likely give the Eimei another try..
Old 01-22-14, 10:28 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Good eye.

I used to ride 165mm cranks and sit way forward in order to spin them. Last year (under Kirk) I switched to longer cranks, moved the saddle back, and changed other parts of the fit in order to push bigger gears. It was starting to work. Power numbers went up. But, I quit as the season started when work got really stressful.

Here is a more recent pic of my setup:

Notice the setback.

I don't use the Arione anymore, though.
What is your setback currently?
Old 01-22-14, 10:32 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
i was demo'ing this one for the distributor.. had some post slip issues that were made worse by the fact i had to change saddles 2x a day (saddle set-back reg) now that i can have 1 saddle position for sprint and TT i will likely give the Eimei another try..
What is this bike? It looks like a Dolan rear dropout/triangle and fork; almost like a DF3 but with an aero seatpost. That seatpost is also exactly like the Forza seatpost.

I have to admit, I am a little wary of the seatpost slipping on my Forza. OTOH, I had to use a mallet to (very gently) tap the seatpost into the frame and saddle height adjustment requires me to work the seatpost back and forth to make it move; it doesn't slide freely.
Old 01-22-14, 11:15 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this bike? It looks like a Dolan rear dropout/triangle and fork; almost like a DF3 but with an aero seatpost. That seatpost is also exactly like the Forza seatpost.

I have to admit, I am a little wary of the seatpost slipping on my Forza. OTOH, I had to use a mallet to (very gently) tap the seatpost into the frame and saddle height adjustment requires me to work the seatpost back and forth to make it move; it doesn't slide freely.
the best i can tell it is the "Dolan Arc" (also sold as a Teschner Track Pro) but with the dropouts from the Forza..

it is being sold as a "Girls Keirin" bike.. looks like all the njs producers are branding carbon frames for the girls..

i am hopeful that upgrading the bolts and using tons of carbon paste will fix the slip... but i know the Arc slipped as well.. so i am nervous.

Last edited by Quinn8it; 01-22-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 11:55 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...6&d=1390456515

Here's mine.

Edit: How the hell do you get the image to show up full size in the post??

Edit 2: Hmm, That didn't quite do it, but thanks for trying, Brian. I'm not that web savvy.

Attached Images
dolan.jpg (104.6 KB, 5302 views)

Last edited by carleton; 01-23-14 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-23-14, 12:46 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke

Here's mine.

Edit: How the hell do you get the image to show up full size in the post??
I don't know the "official" way of doing it, but I publish the post, just like you did, then I click on the thumbnail to open the full size picture in a new window, copy the web address of the picture, and edit the post I just made. Really round about, but I don't know another way except to post the picture on a third party web server.
Old 01-23-14, 12:48 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
the best i can tell it is the "Dolan Arc" (also sold as a Teschner Track Pro) but with the dropouts from the Forza..

it is being sold as a "Girls Keirin" bike.. looks like all the njs producers are branding carbon frames for the girls..

i am hopeful that upgrading the bolts and using tons of carbon paste will fix the slip... but i know the Arc slipped as well.. so i am nervous.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-siXtdjAP7EI/UZ5C7r_bcJI/AAAAAAAAFn0/yKZSOYeLxSY/w786-h442-no/IMAG0887.jpg[/I MG]
I would think about using a shim. Does the post slip in and out of the frame freely?
Old 01-23-14, 02:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
What is your setback currently?
Was 5cm (in those older photos), now it's around 7cm.

The seat tube angle is an aggressive 76 degrees. That's why I have to jam the saddle all the way back and use a set-back post to get it far enough back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.