Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 12:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It was the benefit part of the equation I was interested in discussing here.
But you brought up costs in the opening post, and that makes sense - you can't consider one in isolation of the other. If costs were truly irrelevant, you would not have asked the question -- you would've gotten D/A.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-05-21, 12:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Yeah, saving a hundred grams on a groupset is really pointless (exception being top tier chains which are a hair more efficient) in terms of what it does. That's worth seconds up an actual mountain.

But when I found discounted DA shifters and derailleurs last year I grabbed them anyway and upgraded from 105, so do as I say, not as I do. My excuse was the 105s were scuffed up in a crash and the FD was trashed and replaced with a DA one, and the scuffed shifters and mismatched gruppo looked plain unsightly.
​​​​
Eh. In my defense, I don't have any other expensive tastes except bikes, which are pretty tame all things considered. There's no rational reason to buy DA over Ultegra. Nevertheless...
​​​​
With a discount I can see why you would be tempted. Unfortunately I can't imagine any discounts this year or next!
Old 09-05-21, 12:38 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Koyote
But you brought up costs in the opening post, and that makes sense - you can't consider one in isolation of the other. If costs were truly irrelevant, you would not have asked the question -- you would've gotten D/A.
The cost is fixed in stone. I don't need to ask anyone how much it costs. But the benefits are not quite so obvious, hence why I'm asking about them. Once I've established all the benefits then I can obviously make up my mind if they are worth the extra cost.
Anyway, thanks to more useful posts I'm realising that D/A is not likely to be of much benefit for me.
Old 09-05-21, 12:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
FYI... as to less durability of top tier.

I have Red eTap that was installed in 2016. It has almost 30,000 miles. Obviously i've replaced the chain and brake pads many times, but I just recently changed the cassette last month.All the rest is from the original 2016 groupset.
Old 09-05-21, 01:03 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GlennR
FYI... as to less durability of top tier.

I have Red eTap that was installed in 2016. It has almost 30,000 miles. Obviously i've replaced the chain and brake pads many times, but I just recently changed the cassette last month.All the rest is from the original 2016 groupset.
That's encouraging to hear. To be honest most of the durability issues I've heard about (anecdotally) with top tier components has been from crash damage or knocks (mtb) rather than normal wear and tear. A good friend of mine who ran a bike shop a decade or more ago always advised to fit Sram X9 over X0 at the time because it was just that bit more robust. I did see a snapped carbon X0 rear mech cage back then.
Old 09-05-21, 02:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Now that "cost no object" has been dealt with, it looks like you are in the same position as most of us, trying to decide if DA is worth the substantial premium over Ultegra. With cost as part of the equation, I've generally settled for Ultegra unless I'm buying used components. DA is obviously lighter, better finished and other than possibly titanium cogs, no evidence it is less durable. In a nutshell, it is better. IMO however, the price difference exceeds any qualitative difference. I think this may be intentional, Shimano choosing to position DA as aspirational rather than just another step up the product tier. Cost no object=DuraAce. Not a 1%er=Ultegra. Don't know if this is the same with SRAM or Campy.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-05-21, 02:59 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Now that "cost no object" has been dealt with, it looks like you are in the same position as most of us, trying to decide if DA is worth the substantial premium over Ultegra. With cost as part of the equation, I've generally settled for Ultegra unless I'm buying used components. DA is obviously lighter, better finished and other than possibly titanium cogs, no evidence it is less durable. In a nutshell, it is better. IMO however, the price difference exceeds any qualitative difference. I think this may be intentional, Shimano choosing to position DA as aspirational rather than just another step up the product tier. Cost no object=DuraAce. Not a 1%er=Ultegra. Don't know if this is the same with SRAM or Campy.
Is D/A still limited to a 30T cassette? If so then that alone would cross it off my list for an endurance bike. Anyway I'm leaning more toward going with Sram at the moment. Probably Rival etap unless someone can convince me anything higher up the food chain is significantly better. I think you are probably right about D/A being positioned as aspirational. But that doesn't cut it for me. It would need to offer significant real world advantages over Ultegra to get my cash. But I'm not seeing any. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it's good that you don't have to spend D/A money to get pretty much all the benefits. But on the other hand it would be nice if there was a proper step up from Ultegra making the cost more justifiable. In that regard I'm a bit surprised Shimano have released both D/A and Ultegra 12-speed groups simultaneously. That could have been the step I was looking for!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-05-21, 03:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Yeah, a 30t wouldn't work for me anymore either.
Old 09-05-21, 03:07 PM
Koyote

I'm really struggling to see any point in going for a top tier groupset i.e. DuraAce/Red Etap/Super Record. They just don't seem to offer any advantage remotely in proportion to their extra cost over second or even third tier groups.
My intuition is that they are just grossly over-priced for extremely marginal gains - or even losses if more fragile parts.
It is money no object in the sense that I can easily afford it. But that doesn’t mean throwing money away on something for no meaningful gain. So I have to decide if it’s worth it or not.

So I get an extra year of warranty. I didn’t know that so that’s good info.
Anyway, thanks to more useful posts I'm realising that D/A is not likely to be of much benefit for me.
So you went from thanking me for the warranty info, to snarking at me for not making a useful contribution. Geez, you’re welcome.

Dude, you’re the one who repeatedly brought up the cost issue, and that is totally legit - it comes up all the time around here, and it’s a smart question.… No one is implying that you can’t afford Dura Ace.

Whether you acknowledge it or not, every single spending decision you make is a trade-off, and we always weigh the costs versus the benefits. That’s why I drive a Honda instead of a Porsche, even though I could “afford“ the latter.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-05-21 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 03:19 PM
PeteHski

So you went from thanking me for the warranty info, to snarking at me for not making a useful contribution. Geez, you’re welcome.

Dude, you’re the one who repeatedly brought up the cost issue, and that is totally legit - it comes up all the time around here, and it’s a smart question.… No one is implying that you can’t afford Dura Ace. I mean, if you think about it, I bet you could afford a Porsche, or maybe even a Ferrari. I could, too. I can put my hands on that kind of cash in a couple days without breaking a sweat. And so what? So why don’t we drive such cars? Because the cost is not worth the benefit, at least to me. Every bloody spending decision comes down to just that. Choosing a groupset is no different.
Sorry I didn't cross reference your posts well enough! One was actually useful. The others not so much. Cost vs benefit is obviously important. But if you don't know what the benefits are then how are you supposed to make that call?

As for snarking at you? You need to take a good look in the mirror. Your first contribution to this thread was a blatant snark. You know I've been on a lot of forums in my time, but this place is quite special (not aimed at you exclusively).
Old 09-05-21, 03:26 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Top tier group sets look way cooler on the bike.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-05-21, 03:50 PM
Koyote

Sorry I didn't cross reference your posts well enough! One was actually useful. The others not so much. Cost vs benefit is obviously important. But if you don't know what the benefits are then how are you supposed to make that call?

As for snarking at you? You need to take a good look in the mirror. Your first contribution to this thread was a blatant snark. You know I've been on a lot of forums in my time, but this place is quite special (not aimed at you exclusively).
I'm not in this for the "likes," but that post got more of them than all other posts in this thread combined. So, while the post may have gone over your head, plenty of other people got it.
Old 09-05-21, 03:58 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I buy based on hood shape/comfort new new DA Di2 might be the best thing on the market but I’ve never gotten along with Shimano hoods. That drives me to post 2015 campy and SRAM I like both but if I had to choose just one for general riding I’d choose SRAM. Since I wouldn’t notice the gains that SR/DA/Red would generate I’d probably just go Force AXS, or Chorus/Record.
Old 09-05-21, 04:05 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
That's debatable. But then I'm not into bling just for the sake of it. But I do think Campag looks cool - just because of the history and style. Shimano and Sram don't quite have that same appeal. Mmmmm.....maybe I should just treat myself to a top end Campag set.
I hadn't really thought much about Campy, but a quick look at their Super Record Electronic set looks pretty awesome! Tempting for sure.
Old 09-05-21, 04:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Welll .... first off, "Cost is no object" is a phrase with a Very specific meaning .... and not the meaning yuo gave it.

You might better have said "cost is not an important limiting factor compared to performance," or some such, which actuially reflects the situation you are describing.

(As an aside, I built up my second CF wunderbike with 105 because I had one with Ultegra and another with 105, and I didn't see enough of an upgrade in performance ---part performance, not my performance, which would have been about the weight or absolute efficiency--between the groups. I could have saved eight ounces?

That is thirteen seconds off of the biggest U.S. climb for a climber who could climb that mountain in the first place ...... )

And that is my answer, I guess. Right now if I were to build another road bike and possibly a gravel bike, I would go with Ultegra DI.

I cannot believe that DA is more robust than Ultegra by a third .... I see that more as a sales gimmick for non-racing or non-pro racing people who are on the edge about buying DA--"You know, of course, that DA has a fifty percent longer warranty, right?" Fact isd, racers don't care That much--crit racers might buy down because they expect to crash at lower levels, and road racers are probably buying DA cassettes knowing they wear out every season because they want to be as light as possible (or at the UCI limit for UCI-sanctioned events.)

Shimano knows that a warranty really only covers defective materials or assembly at the factory .... the Shimano factory, you are SOL if the bike manufacturer messed up installing it---and that materials and workmanship claims would be really hard to prove.

As for shifting, pretty sure the speed of electricity is the same no matter how much you spend.

There used to be a chart about which group set parts to buy for max value .... hold on ..... Shimano Road Components ? Where to Spend Your Money ? Art's SLO Cyclery

More than minorly outdated but make of it what you will ..... the suggestions then were:

Rear Derailleur: 105 5800
Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 9000
Shifters/Brake Levers: Dura Ace 9001 or 105 5800 depending on budget
Cassette: Ultegra 6800
Chain: Ultegra 6800
Crankset: Ultegra 6800
Brakeset: 105 5800
Old 09-05-21, 04:07 PM
PeteHski

I'm not in this for the "likes," but that post got more of them than all other posts in this thread combined. So, while the post may have gone over your head, plenty of other people got it.
That's because BF fans enjoys a snarky comment. It's all the rage around here.
Old 09-05-21, 04:18 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I am sure top tier have much higher markups. Do I have evidence? No.
Old 09-05-21, 04:32 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Welll .... first off, "Cost is no object" is a phrase with a Very specific meaning .... and not the meaning yuo gave it.

You might better have said "cost is not an important limiting factor compared to performance," or some such, which actuially reflects the situation you are describing.
Okay whatever. What I meant was (and I thought it was clear enough) I can afford a top level bicycle groupset, but I'm not paying 40% more for one unless it offers a worthwhile advantage over the next tier down and certainly not if it actually has any disadvantages.
I was just trying to get some clarity as to the pros and cons. But the thread has got totally sidetracked by people who, reading between the lines, are clearly a bit fragile about the "money no object" part.
Old 09-05-21, 04:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
If you (like me) ride so slowly that people can read the decals on your brifters .... you aren't looking cool on your bike.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-05-21, 04:50 PM
Maelochs

Okay whatever. What I meant was (and I thought it was clear enough) I can afford a top level bicycle groupset, but I'm not paying 40% more for one unless it offers a worthwhile advantage over the next tier down and certainly not if it actually has any disadvantages.
I was just trying to get some clarity as to the pros and cons. But the thread has got totally sidetracked by people who, reading between the lines, are clearly a bit fragile about the "money no object" part.
This is BF. Nothing you say here matters, and everything you say here will be misquoted, misinterpreted (often deliberately) and distorted so that people can make cheap jokes and think they are superior because of it .....

I understood what you were getting at .... not that I or probably anyone else cares what you can afford (and for cyclists, "afford" means "I have so much cash I could buy a bike company" to some, and "I am perfectly willing to sell a kidney for Zipp wheels .... I gave 170 pints of blood for the DA front derailleur," to others) but I wanted to point out that not everyone was Just mindlessly nitpicking ... they were nitpicking For Cause.

If you make that sort of textual mistake on BF you will be crucified ... and since you know that, they figured you wanted it, and were helping you live out you BF BDSM humiliation fantasy.. You should thank them.

I tried to address the value issue in the rest of the post.

Best way to read BF, IMO, is to pretend there are dozens of laughing emojis sprinkled through every post .... and to understand that a lot of posts are really saying " I am a bigger butt-head than you, sucker."

Either way, less argument and more amusement.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-05-21, 04:53 PM
PeteHski

If you (like me) ride so slowly that people can read the decals on your brifters .... you aren't looking cool on your bike.
LOL, there is that aspect to consider. I'm not into being showy, so I'm wondering if I might feel a bit self-conscious if I built the entire bike from the ground up with top tier components just for the sake of it.
Again not something I've really given that much thought. My own performance level is more 105 than D/A for sure!
Old 09-05-21, 05:01 PM
PeteHski

This is BF. Nothing you say here matters, and everything you say here will be misquoted, misinterpreted (often deliberately) and distorted so that people can make cheap jokes and think they are superior because of it .....

I understood what you were getting at .... not that I or probably anyone else cares what you can afford (and for cyclists, "afford" means "I have so much cash I could buy a bike company" to some, and "I am perfectly willing to sell a kidney for Zipp wheels .... I gave 170 pints of blood for the DA front derailleur," to others) but I wanted to point out that not everyone was Just mindlessly nitpicking ... they were nitpicking For Cause.

If you make that sort of textual mistake on BF you will be crucified ... and since you know that, they figured you wanted it, and were helping you live out you BF BDSM humiliation fantasy.. You should thank them.

I tried to address the value issue in the rest of the post.

Best way to read BF, IMO, is to pretend there are dozens of laughing emojis sprinkled through every post .... and to understand that a lot of posts are really saying " I am a bigger butt-head than you, sucker."

Either way, less argument and more amusement.
I like your way of thinking here! Bikes can be very expensive for what they are, but it isn't exactly off-shore power boat racing for the ultra-rich playboys. It's all relative.
Old 09-05-21, 05:47 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
..I'm really struggling to see any point in going for a top tier groupset i.e. DuraAce/Red Etap/Super Record. They just don't seem to offer any advantage remotely in proportion to their extra cost over second or even third tier groups.
Other than vanity and a few pointless gram savings, is there any point?...
I'm inclined to agree. I have two bikes with Ultegra groupsets, but I suspect I'd be just as happy with 105. Not even thinking about Di2 or DuraAce. But then, I've never owned a car with automatic transmission either. I'm very content with standard shifting in my car, and mechanical shifting on my bike.
Old 09-05-21, 05:57 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Random11
I'm inclined to agree. I have two bikes with Ultegra groupsets, but I suspect I'd be just as happy with 105. Not even thinking about Di2 or DuraAce. But then, I've never owned a car with automatic transmission either. I'm very content with standard shifting in my car, and mechanical shifting on my bike.
Yeah I agree. Do I really want electronic shifting? For me the main advantage I can see is getting rid of some slightly annoying cables (at least with Sram). But as far as actually shifting gears is concerned I'm not that fussed either way. But I do have a preference for 1x gearing. I really don't like front mechs of any kind. Nasty pieces of crude engineering! I'm actually quite tempted to go with a Campag Ekar 13 speed. That ticks a few boxes for me. I like Campag style and I like the simplicity of a 1x. Also looks like they finally got the cassette ratios sorted for a decent 1x road setup.
Old 09-05-21, 05:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
"Cost", "Performance", etc.. Has anyone just come out and said that DA functionally is no better than Ultegra, it just weighs less?
Likes For Sy Reene:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.