Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat: what would you do?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flat: what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 12:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the OP didn't say what they were gonna do w/ the old tube. I'd be inclined to patch it & test it
Yep. Probably the weekend before new years. I'm up to four or five, so it's about time.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-14-23, 04:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Pump the tire to a known .pressure and let b it sit for a few days. Whether it holds or loses air will decide for you.

Of course, there's always the chance of a small glass shard still being embedded in the tread waiting to woodpecker a fresh puncture when you ride.

So it comes down to your temperament. Which do you hate more? Wasting time fixing what ain't broke, of fixing a flat on the road?

Still can't decide? Toss a quarter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-14-23, 05:14 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

So, in that situation, what would you do?

A. Cross your fingers, hope it was a wire that fell or was pulled back out of the tire, and keep riding.

B. Pull the wheel, take the tire off and do a detailed search for the cause of that flat.

Actually, what I'm doing now is:

C. Ride a different bike.

But I know I'll want to pull the original bike out after a mechanical, a flat in the morning before commuting, or some other reason. So I'm left wondering what the Smart Thing would be.
I vote for option "B". It's rare that I will replace a tube without first verifying the cause of the flat. Maybe in a race situation I'd do it (in an effort to save time). However, if the clock is not ticking, check that tire and make sure the source of your flat is no longer present.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-14-23, 07:32 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
I’d closely inspect the tyre and if nothing is found just continue using it.