Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minor Headtube Dent - Ease My Mind (Fingers Crossed)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 08:30 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts

Just got a frameset in the mail and not totally certain if it happened during shipping (packed well and no signs of damage to box) or if the seller omitted this detail (still waiting to hear back). Definitely looks like a "ooops, I dropped it" and not a "oh sh*t, I crashed" and the rest of the frame appears to be straight and free of damage.

Anyhow, still a bummer and I'm formulating the best possible fix (suggestions welcomed).

My gut says "it's not bad, just ease it back into place and forget about it" and my anxiety brain says "what if... what if... what if...". So yeah, what do you experts think?

Old 12-05-23, 09:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...have you tried fitting a headset cup in there yet ? Looks like it might be off enough to make that problematic, but it's hard to tell from a picture.
Old 12-05-23, 09:09 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
That looks out of round to my eye.
Old 12-05-23, 09:42 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...have you tried fitting a headset cup in there yet ? Looks like it might be off enough to make that problematic, but it's hard to tell from a picture.
It is a bit too much to force a cup in right off the bat. The seller just responded and apparently is a frame builder himself. He advised to have a shop bring it back to round using a headset press, so I'm going to look into that tomorrow. Also offered a partial refund for the headache so that's nice.
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 12-05-23, 10:01 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
That looks out of round to my eye.
It's really just at the top of the lug, the rest of the tube is fine. Bottom cup goes in no problem.
Old 12-05-23, 10:27 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
It's really just at the top of the lug, the rest of the tube is fine. Bottom cup goes in no problem.
I see that. The cup won't seat though?
Old 12-06-23, 12:30 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
It is a bit too much to force a cup in right off the bat. The seller just responded and apparently is a frame builder himself. He advised to have a shop bring it back to round using a headset press, so I'm going to look into that tomorrow. Also offered a partial refund for the headache so that's nice.
...If I could get a headset cup to seat fully in there, using a press, it probably wouldn't bother me.
Steel lugs are pretty malleable, for the most part, especially if it's not a cast lug. But they can develop cracks when stressed.

If you plan on using an alloy headset, probably get someone with a press to fully seat steel cups, top and bottom, and see if they align well.
I think I would install a steel headset, install the fork, then see how smoothly the thing rotates. Then go from there.

An actual frame person would probably have a reamer, and maybe face it again, to make sure you have a level surface there.
Old 12-06-23, 06:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Press a cup in and call it a day.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-06-23, 07:35 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Deformed...if the headset bearing fits it is your decision whether to keep it or have the seller refund the money for selling a damaged frame and not disclosing said damage.
Wondering what you paid for a rusting frame with deformed head tube.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 12-06-23, 07:56 AM
smd4

Yeah, the rust would bother me way more than the head lug.
Old 12-06-23, 08:02 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
seems a frame builder would have fixed that...
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-06-23, 08:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
That would be my thought as well.

Old 12-06-23, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The seller just responded and apparently is a frame builder himself. He advised to have a shop bring it back to round using a headset press, so I'm going to look into that tomorrow. Also offered a partial refund for the headache so that's nice.
Yes, I'd take him up on that offer. Unless it's a show bike, that should be the end of that.

Note O.P. mentioned it could have happened during shipment.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-06-23, 12:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Yes, that's what I'd do. A conical mandrel can restore it to round. I've used the Campagnolo 733/14 centering cone from the headset press for this:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-06-23, 01:28 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
The seating of the headset is more of a concern than the integrity of the tube.
Old 12-06-23, 01:45 PM
squarenoise 

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

After a bit more searching and a boost of confidence to do it myself, I think I have it sorted out.

I ended up using a socket that was close to the head tube ID and gently tapped the dent out. Went slow and steady and was a pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Next, I dug up a JIS headset cup which has a 30.0mm cup diameter and got that seated no problem, figured this would help make sure it was a bit closer to round, before using the ISO 30.2mm headset cup.

Overall a painless fix and everything is looking/feeling good. No visible wobble when spinning the fork. The installed headset is a Tange Levin CDS, but I may end up swapping it out for something with more stack so I can lose the big spacer.

I'm planning to post a full build thread soon and will share updates as it comes together.

And again, thanks for the feedback. Definitely helps in the decision making.

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Deformed...if the headset bearing fits it is your decision whether to keep it or have the seller refund the money for selling a damaged frame and not disclosing said damage. Wondering what you paid for a rusting frame with deformed head tube.
Originally Posted by smd4
Yeah, the rust would bother me way more than the head lug.
The seller, genuinely surprised by the dent, was very apologetic and as I mentioned above offered me a partial refund for the inconvenience.

Regarding the rust, It's really not bad for nearly 40 year old touring bike. Inside the tubes look good so I have no problems with a bit of surface rust.

Onward!

Old 12-06-23, 02:29 PM
smd4

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

After a bit more searching and a boost of confidence to do it myself, I think I have it sorted out.

Onward!
Looks good to me. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-07-23, 05:56 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I commend the OP for using ingenuity, as simple as it was, to fix the issue. Repairs like this are always a fun fix.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-07-23, 07:26 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I commend the OP for using ingenuity, as simple as it was, to fix the issue. Repairs like this are always a fun fix.
Thank you! I tend to overthink things, especially if it's a problem I've never dealt with, so this forum is a huge help. I appreciate the advice and the "you can do it" sentiments which gives confidence to figure things out. I've learned so much here over the years and do my best to contribute with things I'm familiar with.
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 12-08-23, 05:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Apologize if this has been said.

No sweat. It may be difficult to start it, but most cups have enough taper to do so. Simply press it in and it will act as a mandrel pushing the dent back out. If you can't get the cup started or feel it's taking too much force to press it it, use a piece of pipe or other cylinder inserted a few inches and use it as a pry to push the dent out. It doesn't have to be perfect, the pressed cup will finish the job.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-12-23, 09:29 PM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Apologize if this has been said.

No sweat. It may be difficult to start it, but most cups have enough taper to do so. Simply press it in and it will act as a mandrel pushing the dent back out. If you can't get the cup started or feel it's taking too much force to press it it, use a piece of pipe or other cylinder inserted a few inches and use it as a pry to push the dent out. It doesn't have to be perfect, the pressed cup will finish the job.
This is the way I was thinking but I like the op’s idea of using a socket to press out the dent. I’m assuming you dropped the socket in from the other side and tapped it on through thus taking out the dent.
Old 12-12-23, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Chain smoker
This is the way I was thinking but I like the op’s idea of using a socket to press out the dent. I’m assuming you dropped the socket in from the other side and tapped it on through thus taking out the dent.
I don't get caught up in details. ANYTHING that works is the right way.

However, be aware that it's very unlikely that anything useful can be pushed through from the opposite side. The headtube ID is smaller than the reamed ends.

If the OP has something of the right diameter he can use a vise or improvise a press to force it in. But, there will still be springback, so the results will come up short.

Using a pry cammed into the tube allows working beyond the circle to compensate for springback.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-13-23, 12:39 AM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It may be difficult to start it, but most cups have enough taper to do so.
It definitely needed some finessing before trying to squeeze a cup in there. The socket trick helped, and I'm sure I could have skipped the JIS install, but felt better including that extra step.

Originally Posted by Chain smoker
I’m assuming you dropped the socket in from the other side and tapped it on through thus taking out the dent.
I actually had it inside the top, right up against the dent. Held it in place using a socket extension and tapped on the extension to avoid accidentally hitting the frame. I positioned the frame so the headtube was face flat on a rug so it was a bit easier to handle. Hope that makes sense.