Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair stands, anyone using sandbags?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Repair stands, anyone using sandbags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 02:03 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
An update. After using the Park 10.3 for a couple of days, I'm pretty impressed. It's generally quite stable. As another poster mentioned, you just have to adjust the bike's orientation to keep the CG in the middle of the two legs the best you can, and the Park 360 degree locking mechanism works very well.. if you don't, it's not like the wind would blow it over, but a clumsy person could knock into it. With the rear wheel off, simply lower the front of the bike. You can even let the front wheel touch the ground if you want. There is one position I'd want a sand bag....having the bike's front almost vertical..to the sky, in order to scrub the underside of the bike. The bottom bracket gets disgustingly dirty with god knows what (mud, leaf debris, horse manure!) Another solution is just to remove the front wheel (or both wheels) and hoist the frame only. No stability issues then.

An observation about the Feedback Sports Pro Mechanic HD. The locking mechanism is actually harder to use with the bike in extreme positions. You have to crank that dial down hard, and you don't get much leverage. The Park has a nice articulating handle that you use to lock down the knob. The Feedback only has some fins. I'm pretty strong, and it was quite hard to lock down the Feedback with the bike vertical, even harder to unlock. In fact, it was VERY hard to unlock it. If you don't really tighten it up, the bike will sag...it won't hold. And that $500 stand is almost new! For more common conservative positions, the locking mechanism works ok.

I've decided I will use the Park outdoors to wash the bike. It's steel, but I can take measures to protect the inside of the frame. The stand is just a pleasure to use. Maybe I'll wash my bike more!

Framesaver? Fluid Film? A raincoat?
Old 12-10-23, 04:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
For saving space, it's ideal when stuff in the workshop can serve multiple purposes.
Sandbags, for example, are also handy in case Bulgarians attack.

Jokes aside, I prefer having a stable stand in a workshop (bolted down if needed).
For working in the field, any improvisation that works is good and not stupid.
Or when the river floods over. Andy (who is in one of the most natural disaster safe areas of North America)
Old 12-11-23, 06:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
So I borrowed a friend's Feedback Sports Pro Mechanic HD stand to see how that compares to the Park 10.3. That thing is a beast, rated for 100lbs max! Guess what though, it's not more stable to a push with the rear wheel off. Maybe less so, no matter how you orient the tripod legs. When you reorient the legs, you are just repositioning the direction vulnerable to a push.And the higher you raise the bike, the easier it is to push the stand over. Even with the rear wheel on, the bike is less stable than the park to a push. The Park, because of the slanted vertical tube, compensates as you raise the bike. The stability to a push remains the same pretty much. Neither tripod resists a push better than my 4-leg $50 Walmart special though! The cheap stand has other issues though. I wouldn't trust a heavy mountain bike or fat bike on it, and certainly not an e-bike.

The way the Feedback clamp tightens up and releases is interesting. It's a little simpler to accomplish, but might not be easier. For instance, the quick release releases, well, quickly! You have to be ready to absorb the weight of the bike immediately. The Park is a two step release, giving you a little time to firm up your grip on the bike before the clamp lets go completely. I think it might be easier to lock the latch quickly on the feedback though. I think either would be acceptably easy, with a little practice.

The tilting mechanism seems smoother on the Feedback. Without a bike mounted, it actually feels less smooth than the park, but with bike mounted, it's quite smooth. The Park tends to grab and stick a little. Depending on the position of the bike, you sometimes have to really clamp it down to stop it from slipping a bit. It seems though that when it does slip, it only slips a bit, but then seems quite firm.

The Feedback is aluminum, and the Park is steel. Both weigh about the same I think. The Park is rated for 80 lbs. The Feedback is 100lb max, but Feedback quotes 75 lbs for the "optimized" weight, whatever that means. The unpainted interior tubes on the Park will tend to rust if you wash your bike with it. The Feedback is aluminum, so no problem there. My plan is to continue using the cheap Walmart steel stand to wash the bike.
I've got that Feedback HD stand, and an older version of the Park two-legged stand. They're about equally stable with my bikes, none of which are more than about 27 lbs. With the three-legged FS stand, the key is to have one leg directly in front of the bike, i.e. positioned so that it extends under the BB -- which puts it exactly where you will be standing while doing many repairs. That's a bummer, but I can work with it.

The FS stand's clamp is indeed an interesting design -- not better than Park's, but different. It sure is convenient if you work on a lot of bikes with different seatpost diameters, as it ratchets down to size (with a quick twist of the knob for final adjustment) pretty much automatically.
Old 12-11-23, 10:03 PM
Bleu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
I have a fairly cheap and old Minoura that is light and portable but suffers from a bit of instability at times, like the sand bag idea...
Old 12-12-23, 07:31 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
After having used the monopod Park shop stands w/baseplate on and off since the 80's, portable stands are just barely adequate. The sandbag idea can help for sure, but like the Feedback Pro stand I have, the portable nature of it is it's also it's weakness. Too many moving parts wiggling and jiggling and the bike sagging. One of these days I'll buy a Park shop stand as I don't need portability, but I do prefer stability ! What they hey, what's a grand-i$h anyways ? I had an original Park consumer PSC-1 that I sold after I bought the Feedback. In hindsight I wish I had kept it. At least the clamping arm was rock solid. I would stand on the the legs if I could. for stability as it was prone to rocking. Sandbags would have helped it, or just a big dummie ! It offered no height adjustment however, which I thought the Feedback would work for. In real use the Feedback is too unstable to raise up though, so I went nowhere with that supposed benefit. I hate when that happens darnit ....
Old 12-12-23, 10:30 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Koyote
I've got that Feedback HD stand, and an older version of the Park two-legged stand. They're about equally stable with my bikes, none of which are more than about 27 lbs. With the three-legged FS stand, the key is to have one leg directly in front of the bike, i.e. positioned so that it extends under the BB -- which puts it exactly where you will be standing while doing many repairs. That's a bummer, but I can work with it.

The FS stand's clamp is indeed an interesting design -- not better than Park's, but different. It sure is convenient if you work on a lot of bikes with different seatpost diameters, as it ratchets down to size (with a quick twist of the knob for final adjustment) pretty much automatically.
I find the FS clamp takes some practice and technique to use well. As you lift the bike to get it into position to clamp, you have to be right on the C.G. with your hand on the top tube, otherwise it's hard to get the seatpost to enter the clamping arms at the correct angle. Once it's in at the correct angle, it's a simple thing to just push the jaws shut and tighten. If you don't lift the bike just right, then you find yourself trying to adjust the bike seatpost orientation as it enters the clamp....using just your hand on the top tube. That's hard. The Park is easier in this regard, as the orientation of the clamps, front and back, tend to capture the seatpost, and then you just tighten it down. The FS, as you know, has the clamp arms side by side. The Park clamp jaws, although they tend to capture the post, requires a little consistency in the degree to which you unloosen it from the previous use. I prefer the Park method, but that's probably because I've used it more, gotten the hand of it. Ironically, $50 Walmart special is easiest of all, just one step, (seatpost in clamp jaws, lever closed) but you'd have to manually adjust the jaw opening from bike to bike if the tube diameters are different.
Likes For Wattsup:
Old 12-12-23, 10:37 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Garthr
After having used the monopod Park shop stands w/baseplate on and off since the 80's, portable stands are just barely adequate. The sandbag idea can help for sure, but like the Feedback Pro stand I have, the portable nature of it is it's also it's weakness. Too many moving parts wiggling and jiggling and the bike sagging. One of these days I'll buy a Park shop stand as I don't need portability, but I do prefer stability ! What they hey, what's a grand-i$h anyways ? I had an original Park consumer PSC-1 that I sold after I bought the Feedback. In hindsight I wish I had kept it. At least the clamping arm was rock solid. I would stand on the the legs if I could. for stability as it was prone to rocking. Sandbags would have helped it, or just a big dummie ! It offered no height adjustment however, which I thought the Feedback would work for. In real use the Feedback is too unstable to raise up though, so I went nowhere with that supposed benefit. I hate when that happens darnit ....
My 23lb bike doesn't jiggle much at all on either the Park 10.3, or the massive FS Pro Mechanic HD. My $50 Walmart special with four legs DOES jiggle, something I never really noticed until after using the FS and the Park. But even with that stand I had little problem wrenching loose a bottom bracket (it was tight), but hammering out the crank was a little difficult with the stand jiggling so much. I don't expect I'll have any problem with the new Park. My cellar is pretty tight, so I need the ability to easily move the stand around from time to time. I don't have the room to semi-permanently position a stand,
Old 12-12-23, 11:49 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
My 23lb bike doesn't jiggle much at all on either the Park 10.3, or the massive FS Pro Mechanic HD. My $50 Walmart special with four legs DOES jiggle, something I never really noticed until after using the FS and the Park. But even with that stand I had little problem wrenching loose a bottom bracket (it was tight), but hammering out the crank was a little difficult with the stand jiggling so much. I don't expect I'll have any problem with the new Park. My cellar is pretty tight, so I need the ability to easily move the stand around from time to time. I don't have the room to semi-permanently position a stand,

I appreciate the input but after checking out all the current Park stands, if I were to get a portable model, it would be the 4-1, with the cast aluminum 100-3C shop quality linkage clamp. I had not seen that model, now I'm tempted ! So your review at least got me to look, so thank you for that. I love cast aluminum those clamps. The design of it is very much like the original PCS-1 I had, but so much improved ! The consumer clamps of the 10-3 and 4-2 don't inspire confidence in me. If I'm going to spend anything this time I won't compromise. Buy the best now once.

I don't have any faith in Feedback designed repair products anymore.

Last edited by Garthr; 12-12-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 11:51 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 277 Posts
That is an EVT stand, very nice, made by Efficient Velo Tools of Portland, OR. Efficient Velo Tools (EVT)

They are expensive but probably the best. they make a counterweighted one for ebikes.
I was considering upgrading to the EVT stand and decided that I did not have enough room. I already have a Park Tool shop version and realized that I could use the EVT Right Arm Repair Clamp in the Park Tool stand. EVTs clamp is designed specifically for holding bicycles by the seatpost. It does a much better job at it than the Park Tool clamp.
Old 12-12-23, 12:00 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Garthr
I appreciate the input but after checking out all the current Park stands, if I were to get a portable model, it would be the 4-1, with the cast aluminum 100-3C shop quality linkage clamp. I had not seen that model, now I'm tempted ! I love those clamps. The design of it is very much like the original PCS-1 I had, but so much improved ! The consumer clamps of the 10-3 and 4-2 don't inspire confidence in me. If I'm going to spend anything this time I won't compromise. Buy the best now once.

I don't have any faith in Feedback designed repair products anymore.
I don't really have the room for the 4-1. And it's heavy, 26 lbs of steel. I'd hate to lug that outside to wash the bike. As for the clamps, I don't have an opinion. I'd have to use the 100-3C first. The micro-adjust clamp seems quite robust. I can't see that dropping a bike. And there's the cost difference. I can barely justify the $250 on the 10.3