Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Very uneven wear pattern on disc pads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 01:50 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts

Hi all

does this look like a stuck piston? Or could something else cause this? I was able to push both pistons back without problems.

Old 12-13-23, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
And the pad in the rear is what was on the opposite side of the one in front?

Hard to believe the wheel rolled free enough to not notice some drag. I've got nothing for you. Just curious how there could be that much disparity between the two sides.

What brake brand and model are these pads from?
Old 12-13-23, 03:17 PM
choddo

Yep. Outside (closest to camera) of rear wheel vs inside.

No significant drag, been remarkably noise free actually - a little bit of scraping recently which was why I took a look.

Shimano GXP calipers and Shimano L05A-RF pads - probably about 18 months old. I replaced the fronts in April and just had a look at those and they're about half worn, and evenly.

Last edited by choddo; 12-13-23 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 03:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
If this is a mechanical brake with 1 moving & 1 static pad, you may have it too far off center.

The way these work is the moving pad pushes the rotor over against the static pad. So the disc's rigidity creates uneven forces. The stiffer the rotor and the farther it moves, the worse this is.

Try centering the brake so the static pad has minimum acceptable clearance.

OTOH it might be as simple as one side of the rotor being smoother than the other.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-13-23, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'd have to think that the pad in the rear of the picture must have been stuck for some reason. Whether that was from the piston being stuck or just something that had it wedged on it's slider or in tiny amount of space it has in the brake body preventing it from engaging the rotor.

Was there a lot of gunk or trash up in the brake body on that side for the one that isn't worn?
Old 12-13-23, 03:57 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
When you change your pads, set the clearances/gap between the rotor and pads, and angle of the pad block right ensure that rotor and pads are perfectly parallel. It’s a good idea to give your disc brake system a quick look periodically and check screws holding the calipers etc to ensure that they are firmly in place. If some of these screws become slightly loose, the entire assembly may shift slightly which forces the rotor to flex every time you brake. Brakes will work suboptimally, one pad will wear more than the other, and a rider may or may not notice too much difference in braking power - most of us tend to feather brakes most of the time and hard braking is rarely used.
Old 12-13-23, 04:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

FWIW I can't imagine a stuck pad causing this without very noticeable drag and/or noise.

So look for something that happens when the brakes are used.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-13-23, 04:11 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd have to think that the pad in the rear of the picture must have been stuck for some reason. Whether that was from the piston being stuck or just something that had it wedged on it's slider or in tiny amount of space it has in the brake body preventing it from engaging the rotor.

Was there a lot of gunk or trash up in the brake body on that side for the one that isn't worn?
Yeah seems like it.

Not much, I think just typical. I was brushing it down after each ride and it looked ok.
Old 12-13-23, 04:13 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Alan K
When you change your pads, set the clearances/gap between the rotor and pads, and angle of the pad block right ensure that rotor and pads are perfectly parallel. It’s a good idea to give your disc brake system a quick look periodically and check screws holding the calipers etc to ensure that they are firmly in place. If some of these screws become slightly loose, the entire assembly may shift slightly which forces the rotor to flex every time you brake. Brakes will work suboptimally, one pad will wear more than the other, and a rider may or may not notice too much difference in braking power - most of us tend to feather brakes most of the time and hard braking is rarely used.
Thanks - this caliper is rock solid so I don't think it's moving. I think I properly aligned it a few months back when I bled it. And I cleaned and lubed the pistons with mineral oil. Maybe I got something wrong then but it's been working ok since as far as I could tell. It span cleanly and no noise when braking until very recently, like the last 150km maybe 3 road rides. The weather has been abysmal for those.
Old 12-13-23, 04:37 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Thanks - this caliper is rock solid so I don't think it's moving. I think I properly aligned it a few months back when I bled it. And I cleaned and lubed the pistons with mineral oil. Maybe I got something wrong then but it's been working ok since as far as I could tell. It span cleanly and no noise when braking until very recently, like the last 150km maybe 3 road rides. The weather has been abysmal for those.
Let’s hope then that when you disassemble everything, clean and relubricate moving parts (including pistons) when you change pads, everything will work fine. [You may also want to check that rotor(s) are perfectly flat as they should be.]
Some ailments of bikes can be cured by simple disassembly, clean up and reassembly.
Good luck!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-13-23, 07:38 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If this is a mechanical brake with 1 moving & 1 static pad, you may have it too far off center.

The way these work is the moving pad pushes the rotor over against the static pad. So the disc's rigidity creates uneven forces. The stiffer the rotor and the farther it moves, the worse this is.

Try centering the brake so the static pad has minimum acceptable clearance.

OTOH it might be as simple as one side of the rotor being smoother than the other.
Did we ever find out of the OP had mechanical disc brakes with only one moving piston? If so, the explanation provided by FBinNY makes sense. I'm not on board with the other hypothesis that one side of the rotor might be smoother than the other. IME any slight roughness on a rotor will make noises that get your attention.

I'm interested to learn how this saga ends...
Old 12-13-23, 08:00 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Let’s hope then that when you disassemble everything, clean and relubricate moving parts (including pistons) when you change pads, everything will work fine. [You may also want to check that rotor(s) are perfectly flat as they should be.]
Some ailments of bikes can be cured by simple disassembly, clean up and reassembly.
Good luck!
In response to the portion in bold above... . I'm amazed how often that works. Basic, regular maintenance and cleaning is a beautiful thing for keeping things running smooth, for keeping things properly adjusted and aligned, and for fixing and preventing noises you'd rather not hear while riding your bike.

As for checking that your rotors are "perfectly flat", good luck with that! Spoiler alert: they're not. I've never met a rotor perfectly in true, and I have long abandoned all hope that any exist (or ever will) . With effort you can get pretty close.

Another common problem that can make disc brake setup tricky is brake mount surfaces that aren't flat. Many bike manufacturers do a poor job when it comes to facing brake mounts on a frame, so you're often at a disadvantage before you even get started. The uneven mounting surface causes the brake caliper and brake pads to sit at an angle in relation to the rotor, which can cause brake rub and uneven wear to the brake pads.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-13-23 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-13-23, 09:09 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Did we ever find out of the OP had mechanical disc brakes with only one moving piston? If so, the explanation provided by FBinNY makes sense. I'm not on board with the other hypothesis that one side of the rotor might be smoother than the other. IME any slight roughness on a rotor will make noises that get your attention.

I'm interested to learn how this saga ends...
No it’s hydraulic.

I think the brake mount is ok. It’s a Trek Checkpoint. I didn’t have too much trouble aligning it. I’m wondering if, when I cleaned the pistons last time, I pulled the brake too hard and caused an issue with the travel of the piston on that side - I remember it not looking quite parallel with the caliper housing as I was rubbing some mineral oil on it - even though I was able to push it back in without a problem and the brake seemed to work fine for the last few months since I did it. I’ll have a closer look in the next couple of days and clean it all up again properly.

Last edited by choddo; 12-13-23 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 12-13-23, 09:33 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
You don't need a stuck piston for one piston to move more than the other. That's a seal friction issue, and you can usually work it out by pushing them both in, holding the one that moves more in and pumping out the other one.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-14-23, 11:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you get to fiddly with trying to investigate and fix issues that really aren't the cause, then you might just make another problem.

If you cleaned it up and put it back together, then just use it and check the pads sooner to see if they appear to be wearing on both sides. It might have just be a very small piece of something that jammed the pad or it was slightly twisted and jammed. Or as Kontact said, one piston may not have been working for similar reasons. But since you've moved them and cleaned things up, it might be all okay now.
Old 12-14-23, 01:10 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you get to fiddly with trying to investigate and fix issues that really aren't the cause, then you might just make another problem.

If you cleaned it up and put it back together, then just use it and check the pads sooner to see if they appear to be wearing on both sides. It might have just be a very small piece of something that jammed the pad or it was slightly twisted and jammed. Or as Kontact said, one piston may not have been working for similar reasons. But since you've moved them and cleaned things up, it might be all okay now.
I’ve half done the job. New pads went in fine but rubbing a little in the existing caliper position so they’re coming out again and I’ll clean the pistons properly and then re-align. Fingers crossed. Used SwissStop Disc34RS this time though didn’t realise they don’t have cooling fins or anything cyberpunk like that so I’ll probably assplode the rotors next descent.
Old 12-14-23, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by choddo
didn’t realise they don’t have cooling fins or anything oncyberpunk like that so I’ll probably assplode the rotors next descent.
FWIW a bit of (simplified )brake tech here.

Regardless of any effort to cool the pads, the vast majority of brake heat flows to the disc. That's because the pad material is more of an insulator than the steel disc. Also because heat always flows hot to cool, and the moving rotor is continually bringing in fresh, cooler areas.

That's why rotor heat and air cooling capacity are the biggest factors in overall brake performance. Also, if any significant heat flowed to the caliper, it would kill the seals and/or boil the brake fluid.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-14-23 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-14-23, 04:25 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW a bit of (simplified )brake tech here.

Regardless of any effort to cool the pads, the vast majority of brake heat flows to the disc. That's because the pad material is more of an insulator than the steel disc. Also because heat always flows hot to cool, and the moving rotor is continually bringing in fresh, cooler areas.

That's why rotor heat and air cooling capacity is the biggest factor in overall brake performance. Also, if any significant heat flowed to the caliper, it would kill the seals and/or boil the brake fluid.
My physics degree should have told me that.

Still like the Gigeresque fin design though.
Old 12-16-23, 06:51 AM
choddo

Cleaned them all up properly and it looks like they were pulling evenly to me. Took it out this morning, those SwissStop pads work really well. Cruddy out on the roads again so they were put through their paces. Will be interesting to see if this issue develops again, will check in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone who commented/advised.
Old 12-16-23, 12:04 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
The pads are wearing straight. Rotate them if it does the same thing.