Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dust cap stuck on Gewage pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-24, 01:07 PM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Since those were the only anti slip pedals with reflectors had no other choice but to buy them.

One day wind tipped over the bike which resulted in one pedal becoming slightly more loose.

After trying to unscrew the dust cap the pedal became too tight. Was able to turn the dust cap slowly.

The dust cap on the left pedal came off without any force.

Now the hex dust cap is stripped on the right pedal.

Probably will have to get new ones since long distance commuting with unservicable parts feels sketchy.

Last edited by sysrq; 04-27-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-24, 01:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
So they are knockoffs of knockoffs? They are apparently going to kill the other knockoff brand Foo-ker which is a poorly stolen design from the known and well regarded Race Face Chesters. At least according to the top result of a google search.

You had no choice but to buy them? That is a crazy thing. There are plenty of pedals out there that are from real legit companies that have good support behind them. There are also plenty of companies making the same but in lights so people can see you.

If it is just price that is the driving factor go for Wellgo they make cheap pedals and many of those pedals have reflectors. However they are at least decently regarded cheap pedals and have support behind them.

Some of my favorite pedals with reflectors are the MKS Gamma pedals, they have excellent grip and nice comfortable platform and are from a storied brand that has been making quality pedals for decades upon decades. However I didn't buy them for reflectors I don't think reflectivity is bad but I would rather have lights so people can actually see me easily and not have to have their lights shine on me hopefully and see the reflectors.
Old 04-27-24, 02:40 PM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So they are knockoffs of knockoffs? They are apparently going to kill the other knockoff brand Foo-ker which is a poorly stolen design from the known and well regarded Race Face Chesters. At least according to the top result of a google search.

You had no choice but to buy them? That is a crazy thing. There are plenty of pedals out there that are from real legit companies that have good support behind them. There are also plenty of companies making the same but in lights so people can see you.

If it is just price that is the driving factor go for Wellgo they make cheap pedals and many of those pedals have reflectors. However they are at least decently regarded cheap pedals and have support behind them.

Some of my favorite pedals with reflectors are the MKS Gamma pedals, they have excellent grip and nice comfortable platform and are from a storied brand that has been making quality pedals for decades upon decades. However I didn't buy them for reflectors I don't think reflectivity is bad but I would rather have lights so people can actually see me easily and not have to have their lights shine on me hopefully and see the reflectors.
It wasn't the price but mainly these factors:
1) next day delivery
2)reflectors
3) there cartridge bearings
4) black
Many of the Rockbrothers pedals aren't black so that's a turnoff.

Shimano touring pedals with reflectors are only cup and cone and only one side has spikes so there are basically no normal pedals out there.

Now ordered

Shimano PD-GR400

which say to have cartridge bearings on their website but other sources say it has cup and cone.

Last edited by sysrq; 04-27-24 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-27-24, 03:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
It wasn't the price but mainly these factors:
1) next day delivery
2)reflectors
3) there cartridge bearings
4) black
Many of the Rockbrothers pedals aren't black so that's a turnoff.

Shimano touring pedals with reflectors are only cup and cone and only one side has spikes so there are basically no normal pedals out there.

Now ordered

Shimano PD-GR400

which say to have cartridge bearings on their website but other sources say it has cup and cone.
"Rock Bros" is the ultimate knockoff not only did they steal the outer design but they also stole the name from Crank Brothers.

Shimano pedals at least those bought from an authorized dealer are a great option. I have used many of their pedals over the years and continue to do so SPDs are fantastic and their touring pedals are great. I haven't had to worry about them or deal with the bearings yet and I have pedals that are 12 years old.