Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake pads too far from rim?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 01:02 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts

This is on a uo18 mixte single speed with porteur bars and VO city levers. I noticed it takes some time to get the levers to pull enough to engage the pads fully. However, this does leave exactly 1” from lever to handlebar. And those levers seem to start far from the bars anyways, so maybe that’s thats throwing me off.

The gap from pad to rim is also large though. Would it be beneficial with this setup to try and get them closer?

Old 11-15-21, 01:34 AM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
I would start by sliding the brake pad posts out a few MM. It seems as though they are as far in as possible and I don't believe they need to be. That should close the gap some.
Old 11-15-21, 02:43 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
The gap doesn't matter if the brakes work.
The gap is dependent on hand size, comfortably pulling the lever and how much power you need.
If they don't work the gap is wrong.
Likes For blamester:
Old 11-15-21, 04:43 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
That rear straddle cable isn't properly seated in the hook-ended brake arm. Either the main cable is too short or the hook has become pinched so the round bit won't fit.

Last edited by oneclick; 11-15-21 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 09:43 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
For Mafacs even though you can move the pads in and out I try to get the connection to the straddle cable as close as possible first because I find trying to keep the pads where I want them while tightening a challenge. Personally I like the pads much close to the rim (provided the rims are true) as there is a lot of flex in the system...
Likes For markk900:
Old 11-15-21, 10:17 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by degan
I would start by sliding the brake pad posts out a few MM. It seems as though they are as far in as possible and I don't believe they need to be. That should close the gap some.
Yanno, that shoulda been obvious. I looked this over late at night and those posts were the only thing I didn’t consider haha. I’ll start there, that should do it I imagine. Thank you.
Old 11-15-21, 10:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
The gap doesn't matter if the brakes work.
The gap is dependent on hand size, comfortably pulling the lever and how much power you need.
If they don't work the gap is wrong.
+1, having the pads close to the rim isn't a virtue or goal to be attained by itself. Flexy brake systems may require it so that you don't run out of lever travel before bottoming out on the handlebars.

One downside of having the pads close to the rim (apart from less tolerance of out-of-true wheels) is that it makes it harder to remove the wheel if the tire is much wider than the rim. The brakes need to open wider, so you need a quick-release at minimum, and potentially some way to release the rest of the cable tension. Deflating the tire is a workaround, but why sign yourself up for that if you don't have to?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-15-21, 10:20 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by oneclick
That rear straddle cable isn't properly seated in the hook-ended brake arm. Either the main cable is too short of the hook has become pinched so the round bit won't fit.
I noticed this too, but it doesn’t appear pinched. Is it
possible the round part used is just slightly too big? This is a friends bike ans she’s been riding it like that for awhile so I guess it works but clearly isn’t ideal.
Old 11-15-21, 10:23 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
the round fitting on the cable is too big and won't seat. I'd call that a safety issue. could pop loose and nobody notice until - no brakes

/markp
Old 11-15-21, 10:29 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
As ThermionicScott notes, closing the gap too much can cause problems getting the wheel in and out. In addition, for people with small hands (e.g. women), having a small gap also can increase the hand strength needed to brake effectively owing to the brake lever being further from the handlebar when contact with the rim is made. On one century ride I had to help a woman with small hands who was scared due to difficulty braking at the top of a long steep downhill because her mechanic had adjusted the brakes to have almost no clearance. She was unable to squeeze the brake levers hard enough to stop the bike on the steep part. The solution...adjusting the cable to increase the clearance substantially.
Likes For davester:
Old 11-15-21, 10:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I noticed this too, but it doesn’t appear pinched. Is it
possible the round part used is just slightly too big? This is a friends bike ans she’s been riding it like that for awhile so I guess it works but clearly isn’t ideal.
The correct cable end for that brake is shaped like a little dumbbell. It looks like someone lost that part and just substituted a regular brake cable.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-15-21, 10:51 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1, having the pads close to the rim...... having the pads close to the rim (apart from less tolerance of out-of-true wheels) is that it makes it harder to remove the wheel...
I have had to partially deflate my tires in order to remove the wheels for years now. It no longer bothers me as I don't change wheels out often. In my old racing days that would not have been tollerated. One of my most comfortable positions to ride has been on top of the hoods so I have always kept my pads very close to the rim so that I can feather the levers with the tip of my fingers...

By the way... NICE MIXTI!
Old 11-15-21, 11:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It looks like someone has substituted an MTB brake cable for the proper straddle cable and holder.

To move the brake pads closer to the rim I'd do two things.

#1. I'd very carefully file that round end of the brake cable so that it fits flush inside the recess on the brake arm. The way it is now, if the brake caliper or brake lever were to stick a bit that round end could disengage from the brake thus leaving her with no rear brake.

#2. To maintain as much rigidity in the system as possible I'd loosen the brake cable anchor nut on the brake arm and then shorten the straddle cable by pulling more of it through that anchor bolt.

Check with your friend to be sure she can still reach the brake lever easily.

Cheers
Old 11-15-21, 12:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
That rear straddle cable isn't properly seated in the hook-ended brake arm. Either the main cable is too short of the hook has become pinched so the round bit won't fit.
I run into this a lot. I think the cables I use as straddle cables have larger discs than Mafac intended that are probably just perfect in their intended use. I file them down carefully for better fit. I feel more comfortable doing that then bending or removing metal from the brake.

Edit: Miele Man beat me to the punch. Another poster pointed out that the original straddle cable used a dumbbell shaped fitting. Yes. But time happens. Straddle cables are like cables, housings and housing clamps. All are regular replacement items or at least can be damaged or lost. Mafac stopped making all that stuff years ago. Bikes ride on. So do those brakes. We adopt. I've been using derailleur cable scraps (the trigger shifter ends I don't use) on Mafacs a long time. Second edit: To pull the wheel, I squeeze the caliper and pull out the straddle cable by the fitting just described. Always liked that Mafac provided that QR as part of the design! I don't need anything more until I am up to bigger than 35c tires on narrow (Open Pro and the like) rims.

And as for "a long time" - I've been using the Racers (and the very similar for everything we are discussing here Mafac cantilevers) for 54 years and 100,000 miles. I doubt there is one year I haven't had them on at least one bike.

Last point - if those rims are the original chrome steel Rigidas, do your friend a favor, replace them with aluminum equivalents. That will make a braking performance difference that makes this discussion like debating the merits of hiking boots as you walk off the cliff.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-15-21 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-15-21, 01:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
As noted, you need MAFAC article 59, and use a derailleur cable for article 469 - see @ThermionicScott's pic, above.

The derailleur tip should seat inside the thimble counterbore (article 59, again). I've had to file them down to decrease the diameter just a bit in the past.

Back to the OP's original question, everyone's missing the obvious solution. Just use a wider rim to decrease the distance.

Old 11-15-21, 02:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
As noted, you need MAFAC article 59, and use a derailleur cable for article 469 - see @ThermionicScott's pic, above.

The derailleur tip should seat inside the thimble counterbore (article 59, again). I've had to file them down to decrease the diameter just a bit in the past.

Back to the OP's original question, everyone's missing the obvious solution. Just use a wider rim to decrease the distance.

Have you heard stories of issues with straddles like the OP's when the disc is filed to fit? I split up Mafac pairs and use both as fronts and have been using filed discs for years. Do I need to worry?
Old 11-15-21, 02:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you heard stories of issues with straddles like the OP's when the disc is filed to fit? I split up Mafac pairs and use both as fronts and have been using filed discs for years. Do I need to worry?
That works, the issue is that the "disc" you mention is a brake cable. Perhaps counter-intuitively a derailleur cable is better suited. Brake cables are much thicker, and gives a "mushy" feeling when you pull on the lever, as more force is required to "bend" a thicker straddle cable than a thinner one (brake vs. derailleur cable). The original intent and design on most MAFAC centerpulls uses a thinner cable. Before you ask "well, why are brake cables thicker than derailleur cables?" note that a brake cable won't stretch as much as a thinner deraileur cable, but a straddle cable takes up more force in bending than it does in stretching. Bicycle Quarterly had an article on his very subject, I took a quick look on the interwebs and couldn't find it, perhaps someone else will?

No need to worry, but try setting them up as MAFAC intended and see if you can feel an improvement. Of course, you'll need MAFAC article 59