Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dial it up to 882 watts...WTF?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 10:34 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts

I was just checking out the Garmin 500 data from this morning's ride in Ascent and was surprised to see that it calculated my max power at 882 watts.

This is not a powertap etc, it is a calculated power based on all the known variables that the Garmin collects and that I have entered (weight etc).

dataglitch..png

Since this is a truly epic amount of power, I just had to know where I did this. Was it that attack on the short hill, or was it the acceleration to catch the little guy who put on a push?

After a quick search of the data I found a short acceleration up a 20 deg hill. Hmmmm. There are some 10, 11 and 12 deg climbs here, but I'm pretty sure I haven't gone up anything this big. Let's double check on the map...nope, nothing close there.

So - I am reminded of the board game 'Monopoly' where you can get a Chance or Community Chest card stating "bank error in your favour" etc. Today I had a data error in my favour!

I think the unit got a bit 'lost' when it was turned back on after a drinks break and didn't calibrate fully before we rolled. When it did gather its thoughts there must have been a wild alteration in the elevation - and the consequent calculation of power was just a little off!

Maybe I need to save up for a 'real' power meter...
Old 07-31-10, 10:43 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Well, no, estimated power won't be remotely accurate, but that doesn't mean that a peak of 882 watts is all that crazy. A peak might be for only one second, and lots of riders are able to hit that kind of wattage. I don't know my peak power, but I do know from a few experiences with CompuTrainers and a friend's borrow PowerTap that it's higher than 882 watts - and I'm 56 kg. If you're bigger, an 882 W peak is even more plausible. From the same CompuTrainer experiences, I know that hitting 450 watts is relatively trivial even for a little guy like me. With a real thrashing, higher wattages are possible, and I once did a five-second test at 897.

This is all totally different from sustained power. As mentioned, that 897 is a five-second average. I have no idea how long I could hold 450 for, but not long! It's the same idea with something like 882. If your Garmin is telling you that you were putting out that power for a sustained period of time, that's messed up. If it's saying that you peaked at 882 on your ride, that's pretty plausible, even though chances are that it's a highly inaccurate estimate.

If you want to get a power meter, cool. I was seriously thinking about getting one for next season, but I decided that I really didn't need to go there. I would have been way more insufferable with the numbers than I even am in this post.
Old 07-31-10, 11:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
882 peak watts for a brief interval is not unusual... ran some old fashioned calculations a while back and calculated that at my weight I was able to generate 1000 watts for a few seconds and this was when I was topped out in a sprint or hammering up some short 12% grades we have here and a 20% grade is going to bump up the numbers if you were laying down some crank bending power.

As another smaller rider my wattage numbers are lower and bigger guys can really generate some intense, albeit brief bursts of power... am thinking that track sprinters get numbers in the 1800 watt range.
Old 07-31-10, 11:15 PM
JonnyHK 

I'm about 207lb and I know I can push about 650-700 watts out of a Concept 2 rowing machine for a couple of minutes!

I didn't immediately think it was an error, but I did want to see where I had done this epic feat.

The reason I'm sure the data is wrong is that the location on the map is pretty much flat and I wasn't working hard there. If it had been at one of the two locations that I suspected it was then I would have just accepted the truth that I am a cycling monster (over very short distances).
Old 07-31-10, 11:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Where are you seeing this? I have a Garmin 500 but have never seen it display an estimation like that.
Old 07-31-10, 11:42 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I weigh 180 lbs and can push roughly 7,000 watts. I know this because I work in an industrial facility and once had to attach my bike to the 10hp rotary-screw air compressor when the electric motor blew out (real 10hp, not the Sears inflated kind). I was on the bike for roughly 13 hours. It was a good workout but nothing to write home about.

882 watts is easily doable.
Old 07-31-10, 11:53 PM
thegunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
I weigh 180 lbs and can push roughly 7,000 watts. I know this because I work in an industrial facility and once had to attach my bike to the 10hp rotary-screw air compressor when the electric motor blew out (real 10hp, not the Sears inflated kind). I was on the bike for roughly 13 hours. It was a good workout but nothing to write home about.

882 watts is easily doable.
only on bf... can humans do the work of 10 horses.
Old 08-01-10, 12:17 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
I'm about 207lb and I know I can push about 650-700 watts out of a Concept 2 rowing machine for a couple of minutes!

I didn't immediately think it was an error, but I did want to see where I had done this epic feat.

The reason I'm sure the data is wrong is that the location on the map is pretty much flat and I wasn't working hard there. If it had been at one of the two locations that I suspected it was then I would have just accepted the truth that I am a cycling monster (over very short distances).
Even if it was accurate (which I doubt because the shorter the duration, the worse "calculators" get), 800W fo a 207lb rider is far short of monsterous... Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 08-01-10, 01:54 AM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think your concept 2 is out of whack then! 700 watts is about a 1:15 split... that's a pretty massive erg right there, and you'd probably be throwing down sub 6 times with ease!
Old 08-01-10, 06:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by umd
Even if it was accurate (which I doubt because the shorter the duration, the worse "calculators" get), 800W fo a 207lb rider is far short of monsterous... Sorry to burst your bubble.
Yeah, I'm in your weight class (little lighter, now), am new to road biking (I've putted around a lot of miles on mountain bikes, but never anything serious) and have a new-to-me PowerTap. Peak in the 1400 region, 5sec output is in the 1200 range, 30sec is in the 650-ish area... and at longer intervals, I'm revealed for the fat ass I am.
Old 08-01-10, 09:13 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by caloso
Where are you seeing this? I have a Garmin 500 but have never seen it display an estimation like that.
The Ascent software on the Mac is doing the calculation, not the actual Garmin unit.
Old 08-01-10, 09:15 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by thegunner
i think your concept 2 is out of whack then! 700 watts is about a 1:15 split... that's a pretty massive erg right there, and you'd probably be throwing down sub 6 times with ease!
I did say I could do this for about 2 minutes! There is no way I could keep it up for a full 2k piece. For the record my current 2k erg time is 7.15 (my best, back in the day of racing club open straight pairs is about 6.40).
Old 08-01-10, 09:16 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by umd
It certainly seemed odd, that's why I looked at it.

I'm sure (based on the location) that it is a glitch, but it's nice to know that 800w is not 'out of this world'.
Old 08-01-10, 09:30 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't that waterrockets' kilo wattage?
Old 08-02-10, 03:23 AM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did say I could do this for about 2 minutes! There is no way I could keep it up for a full 2k piece. For the record my current 2k erg time is 7.15 (my best, back in the day of racing club open straight pairs is about 6.40).
more long distance pieces required that's a pretty big split drop from even a 1 min power test to 5, since you're essentially effective power is cut by a factor of 3! i think our coach had a benchmark of 5 splits per testing distance... so +5 from 500 to 1000, +5 from 1000 to 2500, +5 from 2500 to 5000 and so on.
Old 08-02-10, 08:34 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm your size and hit 800w on at least 90% of my rides. It's not that impressive, sorry.
Old 08-02-10, 08:41 AM
JonnyHK 

more long distance pieces required that's a pretty big split drop from even a 1 min power test to 5, since you're essentially effective power is cut by a factor of 3! i think our coach had a benchmark of 5 splits per testing distance... so +5 from 500 to 1000, +5 from 1000 to 2500, +5 from 2500 to 5000 and so on.
Yeah, it is a pretty sad drop off! But in my defence I am a Masters B rower who actually coaches more than he rows. I'm lucky to get on an erg once a month for a work out (coaching stuff doesn't count). Every time I use the assorted prognostic charts (ie predict 2km performance from 500m test etc) I have to 'recalibrate' it for a more realistic plan for me!

I always take heart that I can shift a 1x better over a 1000m race than guys who are 30-40 seconds quicker on the ergo. That always shuts them up!
Old 08-02-10, 08:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
My Saturday ride I had 1130w for a max, and 908w for peak 30 seconds, and that was without any real sprint.

So 882w peak power for someone over 200lbs is not a big deal.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-02-10, 08:55 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
the more important thing is how many calories it showed him burning.
Old 08-02-10, 08:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
As an aside, the 908 watts was up a 4% grade at 24.2mph. Ran the numbers through Kruezotter, and the calculater said that 908 watts should be 23.9 mph, which was amazingly close.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-02-10, 09:17 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, I've never had luck coming up with numbers on there.
Old 08-02-10, 10:30 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, 800 W max is not hard to do. The question is how long can you keep it up? I'm guessing Garmin won't tell you that. Enjoy,.
Old 08-02-10, 10:37 AM
tc83

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLT01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. If you can do this for a couple of minutes on the rowing machine, you should stop cycling and get serious about rowing.

That said, I've hit 1100 watts on the c2 for a single stroke - equivalent to a 1:08 split.