Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What do you think of hammering spokes to seat/flatten them?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 02:21 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

I'm in the process of building a 36-spoke wheel and have been following the video below. At 15:30 he talks about hammering the spokes with a rubber mallet to flatten them. He certainly seems to know what he's talking about - it's just that the notion of blows like that even with a rubber mallet make me nervous about possibly doing damage. If it makes a difference I'm using DT Swiss Alpine3 triple-butted spokes.

Perfectly valid practice and no reason to be concerned in your view? Do you think there's a better way?

Go to 15:30 to see the section in question.

Old 10-07-21, 02:31 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Yup, common practice for new spokes. You could press a flat piece of wood on the elbows to do the same thing if you're more comfortable with that but a soft mallet is easier IME.
Old 10-07-21, 02:39 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I like the Park Tool vidio method better, they just give a little extra bend when inserting the spoke into the hub as shown in their video at 5:15.

Old 10-07-21, 02:54 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Totally fine to do it, won't hurt anything. I just bend mine after lacing and before tensioning.
Old 10-07-21, 03:05 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I have done it a few times, no problem,
Also grab pairs of spokes in the middle with gloves and pull them together to relieve stress.
I rarely have to go back and re-true my wheels.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 10-07-21, 05:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I like the Park Tool vidio method better, they just give a little extra bend when inserting the spoke into the hub as shown in their video at 5:15.
The Park method of lacing is what I use and teach. It’s easier to keep track of the spokes. The other method uses key spokes and a whole lot of counting. I only have to count one spoke and that one isn’t all that important. As I tell my students

Hold the hub in the center of the rim with the spokes hanging down. If you are OCD or if you have bicycle mechanic friends and want to avoid ridicule, selection of the first spoke is (marginally) important. OCD mechanics want to have the label of the hub visible through the valve stem hole of the rim. To accomplish this, find the label on the hub and count 4 spokes holes (i.e. 2 spokes) to the right of the label. Select this spoke (which from now on will be referred to as the No.1 spoke) and put it through the first hole to the left of the valve hole. Attach its nipple a couple of turns.
To form the spokes to the hub, I prefer to use a lever. That bends the spokes on top and bottom. I use an old crank arm. I’ve used screwdrivers in the past but that can gouge the spokes. Aluminum is softer.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-07-21, 05:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
There use to be a spoke head punch available but like tools that are un needed it likely suffered a slow poor selling death. I use my hands/fingers to bend/remove the bowing that new spokes have when initially laced up in a wheel. Andy
Old 10-07-21, 06:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I’ve never used a hammer to form the elbows to the hub. Pressing with my thumbs while the spokes are under low tension seems to do the job.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-07-21, 08:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Park method of lacing is what I use and teach. It’s easier to keep track of the spokes. The other method uses key spokes and a whole lot of counting. I only have to count one spoke and that one isn’t all that important. As I tell my students

To form the spokes to the hub, I prefer to use a lever. That bends the spokes on top and bottom. I use an old crank arm. I’ve used screwdrivers in the past but that can gouge the spokes. Aluminum is softer.

This works really well as it does spokes on both sides of the hub at the same time. I don't think being able to see the label through the valve hole is OCD at all, it's just the 'right' way to do it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-07-21, 09:58 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I agree with cycommute on this, as does Ric Hjertberg: https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wh...the-spoke-path . This also is a little faster than hammering things.
Old 10-08-21, 12:09 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I used to worry a bit about bending spokes, until I started doing 36 spoke 20" wheels with aluminium rims.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 10-08-21, 06:24 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I’ve never used a hammer to form the elbows to the hub. Pressing with my thumbs while the spokes are under low tension seems to do the job.
That is all I've ever done too, the method gleaned from either Jobst or Sheldon.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-08-21, 07:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
At 15:30 he talks about hammering the spokes with a rubber mallet to flatten them... it's just that the notion of blows like that even with a rubber mallet make me nervous about possibly doing damage. If it makes a difference I'm using DT Swiss Alpine3 triple-butted spokes....

Perfectly valid practice and no reason to be concerned in your view?
...those spokes of yours are made from pretty rugged stainless steel. If you can figure out a way to mar the surface of one hitting it with a rubber mallet against an aluminum surface as your backing (the hub flange,) I'd be interested to see the results. I've done this for many years, and observed no adverse results. Just don't pound on them hard enough to break off one of your hub flanges, and you should be fine. Or use one of the other methods mentioned. But nothing seems to seat them at the bend so it is supported by the hub flange quite as well and quickly as the rubber mallet treatment. I do it on top of a wooden sawhorse. Just don't let anything hard like steel get accidentally introduced into the equation.

It only seats the spokes that exit to the outside, so you still need to use a crank arm (or similar), to get the interior exiting spokes to seat well.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-08-21, 08:21 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I've NEVER pounded spokes (even in the old days with a smaller J bend). Never had a problem, Never had to worry about knick marks. Even on a 20" wheel, 36s, 4X "race" lace pattern (all spokes radiate to the outside of the hub).
Besides doing that on a colored spoke would be a no no..
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 10-08-21, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by cpach
I agree with cycommute on this, as does Ric Hjertberg: https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wh...the-spoke-path . This also is a little faster than hammering things.
That’s where I got my technique. I learned how to build wheels from his series that started in March 1986 Bicycling magazine. He has a link to the original text
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-08-21, 09:17 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
I use the the soft hammer method on the heads-in spokes. Super quick and easy. I see no reason to reshape the heads-out spokes. Frankly, I think this is a mistake. Have at me if you like....

Dean
Old 10-08-21, 09:24 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've always just used my fingers or thumbs. No drama, no issues on wheels that have tens of thousands of miles on them. Nothing wrong with using a mallet or lever, but I've never thought it necessary.

I imagine that there is some wheel builder somewhere who advocates the use of a dial indicator to measure the degree of bend.
Old 10-08-21, 09:27 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Dean51
I use the the soft hammer method on the heads-in spokes. Super quick and easy. I see no reason to reshape the heads-out spokes. Frankly, I think this is a mistake. Have at me if you like....

Dean
Read the Hjertberg link above. It has a good explanation of why bending both spokes is a good idea.

Old 10-11-21, 12:46 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I've never built a wheel, but I can understand there being some "constructional loosening" as tiny high spots on spokes and seating surfaces settle in. Perhaps hammering speeds that up.
Old 10-12-21, 11:21 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have not hammered on any of the wheels I have built. Proper tensioning and stress relieving solves all problems.