Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Parts Inavailability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 07:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

My 1996 GT Outpost has a crankset (the third I have installed on this bike) that was recalled by Shimano many, many years ago; however, Shimano is still honoring the recall, offering not only a replacement crank, but a bottom bracket, chain, and derailleur, as well. The problem is, since the beginning of the pandemic (when I found out that my crank is part of the recall), Shimano hasn't had the parts to ship.

In December of 2020, my LBS told me that Shimano was expecting the parts by April of 2021. Today, they told me Shimano is estimating another four-to-six months for delivery. That puts me at the end of my New York bicycling season for 2021.

Now the question is, do I keep riding this crank until there's a problem (it's been fine for at least 5-6 years), or do I bite the bullet and replace all these parts on my own dime? Apparently, the replacement crank isn't compatible with the old BB and derailleur. Please do not suggest that I buy a new bike, by the way. That joke is old.
Old 03-30-21, 07:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
While a replacement crank may be incompatible with the BB, particularly regarding spindle length, I fail to see where the derailleur would be incompatible.

Maybe check a co-op for a used crank and un26 BB to tide you over until the parts arrive someday.
Old 03-30-21, 07:59 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Now the question is, do I keep riding this crank until there's a problem (it's been fine for at least 5-6 years), or do I bite the bullet and replace all these parts on my own dime? Apparently, the replacement crank isn't compatible with the old BB and derailleur. Please do not suggest that I buy a new bike, by the way. That joke is old.
I found one of these on sale on ebay. Apparently, here's the crank in question.

And here is the recall notice. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/cp...cle-components
The article say there have been some 630 reports of failure resulting in 22 injuries. The amateur lawyer in me says don't do anything an ordinarily reasonable prudent man wouldn't do, which would mean don't ride the bike.

The bicycle mechanic in me says, you got some 25 years of service out of what's essentially an upgrade big-box bike--better than Wal-Mart or Target, but not bike shop quality. Something that a big box sporting goods chain would sell. You got your money's worth. I'm reminded of a thread either on this forum or elswhere, about ten years ago, on breaking spindles of Lyotard 460D pedals. Most of them were made in the 1960s and '70s, they were very popular for cyclocross and cyclotouring before SPD and so on, and at the time they were made the idea of riding a bike with 45 year-old pedals was laughable. And Lyotard was long out of business but MKS makes a dandy copy of their venerable pedal using better materials.

The rider in me says, I've handled bikes under catastrophic drivetrain failure before, and I've managed to keep the rubber side down and not get hurt. I also watched a friend break an old road crank with a crack in it while climbing the alley behind my house. He was clipped in, he went down but he didn't get hurt.

So I'm only going to give you perspectives, not advice. I have more than one bike, so if one gets tied up for parts I'm not grounded. But I'm not you. Use your best judgement, and good luck.
Old 03-30-21, 08:02 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
While a replacement crank may be incompatible with the BB, particularly regarding spindle length, I fail to see where the derailleur would be incompatible.

Maybe check a co-op for a used crank and un26 BB to tide you over until the parts arrive someday.
Chances are that would be an upgrade from what's on it right now. Or even from what Shimano would replace it with.
Old 03-31-21, 07:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
A quick search came up with a non-Shimano replacement:
Universal Cycles -- SunRace FCM300 Triple Ring Crankset - 7/8 Speed [FCM300.LMDD.SS0.BX]

If I were OP, I'd bet $26 + S&H this will fit your bike. Replace it, and you won't have to worry about a 25 year old part breaking while you're pedaling standing. And remember, old cranks do break even when they're NOT under a recall notice.
Old 03-31-21, 07:26 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Thanks, PD. The crank you linked me to is out of stock, also. The crank Shimano is going to provide apparently will not work with my current UN55 68mm bottom bracket OR my derrailleur. I wonder if this one from SunRace will.

The existing CT-90 (the recalled one) is not old. I bought it from a small local bike shop about 5-6 years ago, brand new, to replace what was my second crank on this bike. That shop is now out of business.