Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting back in the saddle so to speak after illness

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 05:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,313 Times in 1,119 Posts

I used to run at least two half marathons a year and while training for a full about 18 months ago, I got Covid for the first time. Since then, I've had to start over with C25K 3 times to be able to get back into the swing of things. But each of the three times I've tried, I come down with Covid again. Strangely, my cycling while impacted, was not impacted as badly and while I couldn't do 40 or 50 miles rides like I had been, I could ride and it was enjoyable enough. Two weeks ago, I was put on Lisinopril for hypertension. Since then, riding has not been easy and in fact I'm a bit wobbly.

I started C25K again this morning, and was surprised that my heart rate did not climb as high as I expected and I actually felt pretty, pretty, good as Larry David would say. When I got home, I went out on the patio to cool off and felt so good, I went for a half hour spin through the 'hood. I kind of had to force myself to ride for a half hour, but I was on a comfortable but somewhat heavy high tensile Takara and not my more modern aluminum Trek. Since the end of my running, I have gained too much weight, I'm hopeful that the medication once dialed in will allow me to enjoy running again and the weight can come off making the cycling more enjoyable. And of course, hopefully the Covid stays away from me so I don't have any more setbacks.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-10-24, 05:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
I don't have words bad enough for Covid, and you've been in barrell three fking times!

I've had it twice, both times during a 6 month structured training plan. With all that data I can tell that a week with covid took me about 8 weeks of work to get back to my pre-sick fitness level. Right after covid my HR was probably 20-25 bpm higher than it was previously on any little workout, and big workouts were Not Happening. I had the SOB mid January this year and now I'm finally back to a decent fitness. During the recuperation time, any bit of overdoing the bike work would result in a setback of a couple days. So that's my Covid Kicked My Ass story.

I've been on Lisinopril for years but I know this drug affects people differently, so not sure why I even mention it, just morning rambling...

Keep the faith Chuck.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-10-24, 06:48 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 451 Posts
If I feel like I am coming down with something, I try to do three things:

Cold Eeze
Vitamin C
Extra sleep

Sometimes it works...
Old 04-10-24, 01:56 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Until COVID, I had not had a vaccination since I was a child, maybe 50+ years. Now I am very diligent about keeping current. Hope it works,
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-11-24, 06:55 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,115 Posts
I had to google C25K.
Old 04-11-24, 07:29 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 450 Posts
feel fortunate that I've dodged the Covid bullet three times when wife and kids got it that many times. I'm def going to keep up with my boosters, zinc and vitamin C. They all had strep last week too, and I dodged that. Prior to boosters, I got everything the kids got.
Likes For RB1-luvr: