Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

water bottles that don't make their contents taste like poop?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

water bottles that don't make their contents taste like poop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 03:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
The missus is pretty underwhelmed by any/every water bottle she's tried, claims that they all make their contents taste like poop. Me, I have no sense of taste so I just use the Camelback Podium Chill model. But she's wondering if there's anything out there that's conspicuously better. Anybody?
How in the world would a princess know what poop tastes like?
Old 11-26-20, 08:12 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
They are a little heavy but I switched to stainless steel bottles, keeps the contents colder or hotter for longer and no after taste.
Old 11-26-20, 10:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Any water bottle that has any smell to it is putting chemicals in your water you dont need.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-07-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-05-20, 08:19 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Stainless bottles and chilled distilled water. Always tastes great. bk
Most will say that true distilled water has no taste at all! Usually described as “flat”. If distilled water “tastes great” perhaps it’s NOT distilled . Occasional consumption of distilled water is unlikely to be harmful but regularly drinking distilled water could lead to mineral deficiencies. Dissolved minerals (as well as other components) in water are what gives water its “taste”. These dissolved substances vary from region to region worldwide. So, the water bottle used may only be part of the problem (or solution). Where I live, the water is heavily chlorinated and I can barely tolerate drinking it straight out of the faucet. Nearly all of the water that my wife and I consume goes through a Brita filter AND is let to stand for several hours before consumption! (We have several Brita pitchers in use all of the time). To be completely honest, I’m of the belief that “stand for several hours” is the part of our treatment that make our water “tasty”!
Old 12-06-20, 07:25 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I have three of the Specialized Purist bottles. The first one I got for "free". I was standing around minding my own business at the after event following the "B-B-BRRR" and one came flying down from the balcony of Great Northern Bicycles. They were giving some away and one literally hit me in the chest and lodged under one arm. I used it a several times, and the water really didn't take on a plastic taste, so I bought two more of them.

Unfortunately for me, that coating seemed to wear out, and mine wound up being just another polyethylene bottle. Mostly mine carry iced tea, so it is not too bad. That may also be why the coating failed. My favorite from a taste perspective is a cheap Contigo Ashland Chill stainless steel bottle which has a grab loop that makes it easy to pull out of the cage, and an easily opened and closed valve and a straw so you don't have to invert it to drink from it.
Old 12-12-20, 08:29 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I used to use stainless but switched when I read they were more dangerous if dropped and pulled into a wheel. Geraint Thomas at the Giro proved that plastic water bottles are just as dangerous!

Now use Camelback Podium bottles. Washed them thoroughly with the hottest water my hands could take before first use and I don't detect any plastic (or poop) taste to them. I have one set for water only and one for flavored drinks.
Old 12-16-20, 10:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I casually mentioned to my sons that I was looking for a SS bike bottle with the necked down cage area. They hit their smart phones and found some. So I am probably going to get 1 or 2 for Christmas. Problem solved.

Yup----------------- up date, got a really nice one for Christmas.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-30-20 at 10:42 AM.