Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What's your current situation?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 10:24 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts

Hello there !

I'm actually wondering what type of people are touring the most.
Or in which situation.

For example, I'm currently dreaming of touring, however, there's a wife and 2 little children (2y 4y) I can't just leave home for a couple of months touring.
And they don't want to travel along (with the bike).
Technically I could leave, but it would be quite selfish to let her alone with our 2 children to take care for. I don't want that as I love my family, so that won't be an option.
(I maybe do later on in my life when they're older, so than I have now lots of time to plan journeys in advance)

I know a few other people touring around, but they all are single or couples or friends who are kind of free to travel without strings attached.
They easily can leave their job, home or family for a long time.
But once you're settled, mortgages, children, things get more difficult.

So, tell me what's your situation?
And if you're in a more difficult situation, how did you get out? (without much damage)

Last edited by bulevardi; 09-21-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 10:57 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Although I have done extended trips in the past my *current* situation is I'm self employed (have been for almost 40 yrs) and I can only leave for single, over night trips. Therefore, I now regularly bikepack or backpack to off road trail camps in the local mountains.
Old 09-21-16, 11:17 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Empty nester but still fully employed and my vacation time is usually pretty booked up with other obligations. This summer I talked a friend into biking the Mississippi River Trail through Minnesota with a short stint in Wisconsin and ending on the Iowa border. We did weekends and stayed in hotels, a cabin, or stayed at his place when we were closer to the cities. Not full out touring but credit card touring isn't a bad option. Plan a long trip over multiple weekends. Your wife can drop you off and meet you at a hotel with a pool for the kids on Saturday night and pick you up at your end point on Sunday. We had a lot of fun on our trip and gained some valuable knowledge for when we decide to stay out on some extended touring to finish the MRT.
Old 09-21-16, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by bulevardi
For example, I'm currently dreaming of touring, however, there's a wife and 2 little children (2y 4y) I can't just leave home for a couple of months touring.

It doesn't have to be a choice between a couple of months or nothing. I just got back from a nice, week-long tour in New England, NY, NJ and PA. Rode the bike to the Philly Amtrak station, caught the train to VT and rode home. In June I spent 11 days touring in Montana. And I usually take a few three-day weekend trips from my house every year. I have already taken one three-day this year. If this fall is anything like last fall, I should be able to get in another one. We had a 70+ degree weekend back in early December so I did a three day down towards the NJ shore. It was quite odd stopping for breakfast and seeing Santa entertaining kids at the eatery across the street while I was enjoying an omelet al fresco in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

I have a full-time job so I can't simply take off for months. Having no wife or kids certainly helps, but maybe tour wife would be supportive of you taking short trips. In return, she could get away "with the girls" while you stay home.

Back in '99 I was downsized at my request and took nearly two years off from the working world. During that time, I took three extended trips, with the longest being nearly four months. I am not in the position to do that now, but if I get lucky I might be able to retire in four years (at age 55) and take some longer trips. Unless and until that happens, I am content with hitting the road when I can for as long as I can.
Old 09-21-16, 11:28 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
49 year old. Recent empty nester but the kids are still in college. Getting antsy... ;-) The groundwork for long distance touring trips has been set. In 4 years I'll be completely free.
Old 09-21-16, 11:31 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Almost all tourism, and leisure activities including cycling, sailing, scuba diving, etc. are seeing a material shift in their demographics to older folks, usually retirees.

In the USA the most limited commodity is time, and most adults have little to spare until children are grown college tuitions are paid, and they're either retired or at least have enough seniority to get more vacation time than they did before.

If you travel, the people you meet are older, or ex-military, police or fire, or teachers, all of which have more time off and/or can retire relatively young.

To tho OP, try not to hold out for longer tours when retired. Instead talk to the wife and see if you can open up some time for short trips of a few days to a week or so now. It doesn't have to a regular thing, and hopefully things can be worked out so she gets equal consideration for what she wants.

Or consider family vacations someplace where everybody can be happy, you do day rides in the area, dividing time so the family is together but nobody loses anything. I scuba dive, and meet plenty of younger divers who bring the family to an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel. Some of these resorts offer very nice child care and activities so both parents can dive together.

Likewise, from the beginning the Cozumel triathlon was popular with many doing it as their only event because they could combine it with a family vacation and everybody was happy.

My point --- don't wait find ways that you can tour and the entire family can be happy at the same time. Also, though your children are probably too young now, father and child bike trips can be an amazing bonding and growth experience.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-16, 12:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
[LEFT]So, tell me what's your situation?
Im 35 and have a 9yo and 5yo...so in the same general boat as you. I mostly do short overnight or weekend trips.
Tomorrow I am doing a 3 day trip with a relative and thatll be about the longest(time wise) trip I take at this point in life.

As mentioned already, involve your family if possible. Be that the whole family or just one of your kids, it can get your touring itch scratched while also being a great experience for your kids.

I have done a few s24o trips with my family and a handful with just my kids.

We have left from home and ridden to campgrounds in town and also driven to a spot then ridden to the destination camp spot.
My 9yo can carry some stuff on her bike at this point, but I have done a couple trips with my youngest and the first was when she was 4. It was just 15mi to a campground, but she rode in the WeeHoo attached to my bike and we packed up gear and food and went.

With the right approach(low expectations and high patience) the trips are a lot of fun and the shorter trips help for planning longer trips. For example, I have changed how I pack and what I pack in panniers vs toss into a dry bag on top of the rack.

Kids typically love the idea of camping and have this idyllic view of it, so capitalize on that willingness if you can!

I doubt I will ever take 2 months away from my every day life to tour. Wanderlust is a driving force for most people who bike tour(or hope to), but I have accepted and am happy to keep the bike touring to a limited geographic region(my state and the surrounding states) and timeframe. Perhaps its me convincing myself, or perhaps its legitimate, but I love exploring close to home. There is so much detail to whats around you when you look for it.
Old 09-21-16, 12:22 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Don't think of it as all or nothing. Married, 2 kids both out of college, one @ home. All my tours have been 3-5 days. Do an over nighter on a weekend. The kids are young enough, got a trailer? Try camping hub and spoke tour. Go some where and set up camp. Do a family day trip, go back to camp, repeat. Get a trail a bike for when they are older. Start there.
Old 09-21-16, 12:33 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
work part time for last 17 years. I'm on call with my job. Little money but lots of happiness. No kids, no wife (so maybe not super happy).
time trumps money any day.
Old 09-21-16, 01:00 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I toured in my late 20's. I started a business, married, and had kids in my 30s. So for 25 years touring was not part of my life. Touring wasn't a priority for me at the time, so I didn't miss it, I had plenty to do! When my kids had grown and I was an empty-nest bachelor, by way of divorce, I thought I'd try touring again. Now at 63 I have done 9 late-life tours (17,500 miles) and still expect to do more.

Last edited by BigAura; 09-21-16 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 01:25 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Keep dreaming. You're screwed. You ain't going nowhere for the next 20 years.
Old 09-21-16, 01:40 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I'm a life-long Mustachian. I retired when I was 40 (59 now) and have spent much of my retirement on long hikes and bike tours. My wife and I put more miles on our bikes every year (5,000+) than we do on the car we share. A few years ago I made my first cross-USA tour and loved it, and will probably do that again soon. I commuted to work by bike, so I always stayed in shape, and am still in good shape. I see no slowing down yet, and I feel more suited mentally for long rides than I ever have been.
Old 09-21-16, 01:41 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Student loans, new in a professional job, new GF, not going anywhere... except for some week/ weekend trips. One bonus is actually having vacation time and a living wage that affords me some opportunity to travel. before that i had time and was prepared to just go and live of the land if i had to rather than sit there doing nothing and not making any money.

Was half hopping my probationary review would go bad and i could go back to being a troubled miscreant except this time with a savings account. Another year or two and i'll have 2-3 years experience most people want and can either 1) move, travel get another job elsewhere and 2) maybe do some extended traveling in between.

Approaching 40 and just starting to work for more than minimum wage. My generation got shafted, the boomers didn't retire and now their kids wont hire us.
Old 09-21-16, 02:34 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by alan s
Sadly I have to agree with this. Unless you're able to rally the entire family to focus their lives on-and-around touring your circumstance ain't gonna work.

Back-To-Me: During my 25 year hiatus I never had a vacation longer than a week and that was always devoted to kids & family.

The-Positive-Side: 20 years will pass faster than you're feeling it will right now
Old 09-21-16, 03:04 PM
BigAura

Ahhh... I did just notice that you (OP) are in Europe that means you'll probably have a few more vacation days than we in The States. BUT wife & kids are still the same so, you'll more than likely be spending your longer vacations with them.
Old 09-21-16, 05:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I don't know how folks do any significant touring when they still have to work. I would suggest finding a more accessible way to enjoy riding. Charity rides and supported centuries are a quick and easy way to ride in different places w/o having to plan routes.
Old 09-21-16, 08:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know how folks do any significant touring when they still have to work. I would suggest finding a more accessible way to enjoy riding. Charity rides and supported centuries are a quick and easy way to ride in different places w/o having to plan routes.
We save our money.
Old 09-21-16, 08:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Currently, Rowan and I are focussing on randonneuring/audax events ... and thus doing short hub-and-spoke style tours as a part of it.

I am hoping that as spring and summer come we'll be able to do a few overnight or long weekend tours. Partly to train for randonneuring/audax events and partly to see more of Tasmania.

See other short tours here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...ort-tours.html
Old 09-21-16, 09:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
...... Charity rides and supported centuries are a quick and easy way to ride in different places w/o having to plan routes.
I suspect that for most people the opposite is true. They can squeeze out some time on a computer or checking areas out via the net, easier than scraping up the dough for charity rides (unless they work for large corps. that make funds available for things like that).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-16, 09:19 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
[LEFT] there's a wife and 2 little children (2y 4y) I can't just leave home for a couple of months touring.
Line of action #1 - you find common grounds. My wife has no particular interest in cycling, but found value in touring on a bike. Kids were not into cycling, but the younger (5yo) wanted to see Legoland. The older (11yo) wanted to see Amsterdam. So we spent the summer vacations biking across (part of) Europe. This past summer "might" have been it, but we have agreed in principle to another summer-long tour in two years. I should underline the fact that our pre-teen fell to the ground in tears at one point (long, steep hill on a hot day. We were covering 60kms+/day). Asked if she could call it quits and wait for us at her grand parents' place. We said yes, but that she should probably stay a few more days with us. She did. And is now very proud of her achievement. Has been a life lesson. Perseverance. She can now climb the steepest hill while smiling when she overtakes me.

Line of action #2 - you take a few weekends on your own. (most likely your kids will want to tag along, eventually). Probably healthy to agree on activities that do not always involve everyone. Obviously, expect that your wife will also take some time for herself.

Line of action #3 - Two months -- I assume that you are a teacher. if your wife is also in that kind of business, see #1. If you are not free to take 2 months off (i.e. a long tour means quitting your job) you may want to start talking about something really out of the ordinary (I raise, from time to time, the idea of riding the Silk Road. One of my students, this semester, comes from Urumqi. Might be the trigger that we needed.) By taking the idea of bike touring to the next level, it could become the trip of a lifetime. I mean, riding from Nantes to Berlin made for a great summer vacation. But riding the Silk Road is something entirely different. Something that I would not consider with a 3yo. But this (or another outrageous plan) may motivate your family to take steps in that direction.

---

I don't know... here we pin a map on the wall and start dreaming...
Old 09-21-16, 10:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm currently dreaming of touring, however, there's a wife and 2 little children (2y 4y) I can't just leave home for a couple of months touring.
I grew up in a cycling family. We cycled around our local neighbourhood, and also did hub-and-spoke tours.

For example ...

From the time I was 10-ish until I was about 17, my family would rent a cabin in the Canadian Rockies, mostly in Banff, for about a week.

On a few days we would go hiking together and on a few other days we'd cycle.

When we hiked, we would all go together, but when we would cycle we would do it something like this ...

My father, the strongest and fastest cyclist would head out early in the morning and cycle past the destination my mother, younger brother, and I were aiming for. Meanwhile my mother, younger brother and I would sleep in a little bit then get going ourselves. We got pretty good at the timing so that we would meet my father, on his way back, at our destination or near to it. Then, because he'd had a good, hard ride ... we would all ride together on the way back to the cabin.

The thing is, even if your family isn't up to a tour yet or isn't all that keen on cycling, maybe you can pick a location with things everyone would like doing. Spend a day doing something with the kids. Spend a day with your wife. Spend a day out cycling while they go off and do something else. Or be creative and if your wife and kids are going to drive out to a tourist destination, you leave early and cycle there and meet them ... then cycle back.

That way you all get to enjoy somewhere different.
Old 09-21-16, 10:21 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My girlfriend and I are both in grad school. We like our simple life; small apartment, single car, four bicycles.

We get a month off in the summer to tour. If we save all year and choose our destination wisely, and camp the entire way, we can spend a lot of time on the bike. This year, we spent a month in Iceland.
Old 09-22-16, 12:45 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 238 Posts
Hello there !

Or in which situation.

Technically I could leave, but it would be quite selfish to let her alone with our 2 children to take care for. I don't want that as I love my family, so that won't be an option.
(I maybe do later on in my life when they're older, so than I have now lots of time to plan journeys in advance)

I know a few other people touring around, but they all are single or couples or friends who are kind of free to travel without strings attached.

And if you're in a more difficult situation, how did you get out? (without much damage)

living dreams is not selfish, go for short tours, 10 days, 4 weeks, thats what I do, my wife is happy when I am happy. family (we have three children) is not everything, one should still have time to do own things.
Old 09-22-16, 05:31 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Old 09-22-16, 06:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Or in which situation.

During college and postgraduate education, my girlfriend-now-my-wife did week-long tours in Michigan and Ontario, a cross-country cycle tour honeymoon of the US in 1977, and weeklong tours in New England, until our son was born in 1988. Fortunately, Metro Boston is a great place to cycle, and exploring it the first few years was a form of touring. Even now, cycling here is satisfactory, though I do miss the novelty of touring. I have posted about my fantasy of riding the perimeter of the country.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I win the big lottery, I want to buy a luxury RV as my sag wagon and cycle the perimeter of the country,so I’ll need a driver [my wife].

I have daydreamed about it to the extent of defining the perimeter as riding within 50 miles of the border all around the country. The only other definition I know of is in the motorcycle community,where I have read the definition as traveling from the cornermost towns in the country..

In the course of my fantasizing, I have discovered The Perimeter Bicycling Association of America Inc.which maintains perimeter cycling records for various political and geographic entities. For the USA, the record is 12,092 miles in180 days held by Richard DeBernardis (date not specified).
FYA, on the Fifty-Plus Forum is a current great series of posts by recently retired @jppe with day-by-day descriptions of his cross-country ride from Oregon to Boston, with his wife driving a support van.

Finally, for a contrarian point of view, see this thread, “What do you find hardest about cycle touring now we aint spring chickens any more?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-22-16 at 06:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.