Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cervelo R3 2013 BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cervelo R3 2013 BB

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 11:20 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by AvantGarden
I just noticed that in addition to ruined BB bearings the BB axle is very scuffed. Not replacing it will put load and destroy the new BB bearings.
I wan't able to find any catalog for rotor axles.
The only thing I know is that the axle is 30mm in diameter and 123mm in length (including the hidden thread).

Who told you that?
Old 04-24-24, 11:24 AM
AvantGarden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Who told you that?
Who told me what ? That the axle is damaged ?
I know that axles are not supoised to have round scuffs, leading to uneven diameter and zero lubrication...

Last edited by AvantGarden; 04-24-24 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 02:06 PM
Kontact

Who told me what ? That the axle is damaged ?
I know that axles are not supoised to have round scuffs, leading to uneven diameter and zero lubrication...
That it will damage the bearings. The spindle doesn't move in the bearing. The inner bearing race turns with the spidle. A few grooves isn't going to cause their largely static relationship to cause bearing wear.

It's like a steerer in a headset.
Old 04-25-24, 12:36 AM
AvantGarden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
That it will damage the bearings. The spindle doesn't move in the bearing. The inner bearing race turns with the spidle. A few grooves isn't going to cause their largely static relationship to cause bearing wear.

It's like a steerer in a headset.
You were right Kotact! As always...
I did some measurements and found that the "wear" in the BB axle was actually due to machining and was not in the place where the BB bearings sit. Where the BB bearings sit there is a miniscule cloudy wear that is no issue.
So I am only left with the following question:
One of the cranks has a nut/spacer threaded onto it. The thread is a bit worn out. I can tighten the spacer to a close but If I tighten it with force it will slide on the thread.
2 options:
1. Leave it as is : slightly closed, assuming that the pressure from both sides will keep it in place.
2. Close it and apply loctite thread locker.

Last edited by AvantGarden; 04-25-24 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-25-24, 06:33 AM
Kontact

You were right Kotact! As always...
I did some measurements and found that the "wear" in the BB axle was actually due to machining and was not in the place where the BB bearings sit. Where the BB bearings sit there is a miniscule cloudy wear that is no issue.
So I am only left with the following question:
One of the cranks has a nut/spacer threaded onto it. The thread is a bit worn out. I can tighten the spacer to a close but If I tighten it with force it will slide on the thread.
2 options:
1. Leave it as is : slightly closed, assuming that the pressure from both sides will keep it in place.
2. Close it and apply loctite thread locker.

See post #13.