Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fall Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 06:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Fall Cycling

so where did you ride and how was it? how did the fall season affect the ride. was it a good ride for the fall? if so, how come?

I like rides near the beach but I think this time of year it would be too cold and windy. I've got a 30+ mile loop from stow to carlisle to bedford to concord then back through acton to home again. it's a good fall ride cuz of the rural country roads. it has hills but nothing to ruin the ride. it has traffic but very little so I can take the lane getting out of the leaves in the shoulder. most of the roadway paving is now in very good condition too.

haven't been on the bike in months and I'm setting myself a time limit of 1 week, meaning back on the bike before next saturday morning.
Old 10-30-10, 08:13 AM
mcgreivey
STFD

Bikes: '80 Windsor Carrera Sport, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, '10 Giant Escape 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More wind makes it harder, but it can give you more of a workout, which can be a positive. As long as the wind doesn't make your ride unsafe (by blowing you into traffic or something), it might be a positive. Maybe.

I keep fallen leaves in mind this time of year. They can be slippery.

Haven't had time to ride in weeks, myself, though. Bah.
Old 10-30-10, 08:05 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcgreivey
More wind makes it harder, but it can give you more of a workout, which can be a positive. As long as the wind doesn't make your ride unsafe (by blowing you into traffic or something), it might be a positive. Maybe.

I keep fallen leaves in mind this time of year. They can be slippery.
We also have acorns to deal with. They hurt when getting hit with them at 20 mph.

I went for a 25 miler today full of killer uphills and fun downhills. It was tough at times, but the cool weather was nice for the ride. At least I wasn't dripping sweat during the uphills. The wind picked up with a headwind at the end and my quads were burning, but it felt good when I finished. I felt like I accomplished something. I have a mountain bike with 1.5" inverted tread tires so leaves and sticks don't matter much as long as they aren't wet.

I do wish I had aero bars on the bike though. It would have made the end of the ride a bit easier.

I'm trying to ride as much as possible before winter. The shorter days mostly mean that I have to remember lights when I ride after work. Getting caught in the dark without them really sucks.
Old 10-31-10, 06:32 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fall cycling is very pleasant to me. It's the time of year when I can dress and never actually sweat on a commute -- which doesn't happen in DC summers.

Nothing really changes for me, I just wear an extra t-shirt or cheap wind pants depending on the temp.