Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just got Campagnolo Chorus 11 but...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 10:24 PM
Lacie123401

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just put an order in for campagnolo chorus groupset. I already have a shimano dual platform clipless pedal https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53...pr_product_top

and was wondering if this wouldn't have any issue with the chrous crank in regards to getting stuck, sizing.. problems.
I already invested in shoes for SPD stuff, so it would save me some money but I also don't want to risk damaging the chorus set.
Any recommendation or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 03-18-13, 10:29 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
No, it should not be a problem...Shimano should work just fine.
Old 03-19-13, 02:28 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
The threads on all road/MTB pedals are exactly the some unless you are shopping at WallyWorld.

Buy with confidence and enjoy the heck out of your new group set.

Old 03-19-13, 06:29 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd advise against getting Campy Pro-Fit pedals if you were ever considering them. They're heavy, have a small platform and are hard to clip into without looking down. Shimano pedals both spd and spd-sl are easier to use and cheaper to find cleats for.
Old 03-19-13, 03:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacie123401
I just put an order in for campagnolo chorus groupset. I already have a shimano dual platform clipless pedal https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A53...pr_product_top

and was wondering if this wouldn't have any issue with the chrous crank in regards to getting stuck, sizing.. problems.
I already invested in shoes for SPD stuff, so it would save me some money but I also don't want to risk damaging the chorus set.
Any recommendation or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
FYI if you are doing the build yourself, you shouldn't need the special Campy tool ($$$$) for fastening the two sides of the crank spindle inside the bottom bracket. I did it for a friend with a deep socket if I remember correctly. I know for sure we didn't buy the tool.

Unfortunately that is not quite as true for the chain tool. The cheapest I think you can get away is with Park stuff. With Park you need two tools, a narrow chain tool to break the chain so you can make it the right length, and a pin peening tool. I think these are all one when you buy Campy, but the Park pair comes out cheaper. And if you choose to use an 11 speed KMC chain with a master link, you don't need the peening tool. I can't say how it would work with Campy drivetrain, but I know KMC does make an 11 speed chain. And their 10 speed SL chain is the best, quietest I have ever used. I hope this is helpful.

Robert
Old 03-19-13, 09:00 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Enjoy the group set and the pedals will be fine. I use Look on all my bikes, for instance. Then again, I also do crazy stuff like using a Chorus crank with a Shimano group. Regarding the chain, either get the KMC or just always leave it on. If I need to preform maintenance on my rear der, I usually disassemble the derailleur around the chain, clean it and then put it back on.
Old 03-20-13, 04:29 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
FYI if you are doing the build yourself, you shouldn't need the special Campy tool ($$$$) for fastening the two sides of the crank spindle inside the bottom bracket. I did it for a friend with a deep socket if I remember correctly. I know for sure we didn't buy the tool.

Unfortunately that is not quite as true for the chain tool. The cheapest I think you can get away is with Park stuff. With Park you need two tools, a narrow chain tool to break the chain so you can make it the right length, and a pin peening tool. I think these are all one when you buy Campy, but the Park pair comes out cheaper. And if you choose to use an 11 speed KMC chain with a master link, you don't need the peening tool. I can't say how it would work with Campy drivetrain, but I know KMC does make an 11 speed chain. And their 10 speed SL chain is the best, quietest I have ever used. I hope this is helpful.

Robert
It's isn't necessary to use the KMC chain if you don't want to. I'm running the KMC Missing Link with a Chorus chain. No problems...

I used to run a Wippermann chain and Connex Link when I had the Centaur drivetrain, but so far they have not made an 11-spd version. Being a travel bike, it was easier to disassemble the chain, pack in it's own bag and keep it from getting other things dirty and scratched.
Old 03-20-13, 05:51 PM
Italia6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The KMC 11S Missing Link works fine on a Chorus chain. Ultra-Torque cups and cranks are easy to install - follow the Campy instructions carefully, although they are confusing in some places. Note that Power-Torque (Athena, etc) is completely different - don't follow those instructions!
Old 03-20-13, 06:26 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
+1

Old 03-20-13, 08:46 PM
Lacie123401

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the great tips. Really really appreciate all your help.
Old 10-09-13, 06:59 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacie123401
Thank you all for the great tips. Really really appreciate all your help.
Sorry for the thread bump, but I'm considering doing exactly what the OP has done, ordering a Chorus group. How did the install go? How's the group running? What frame do you have it all on? What wheels did you get? How did you solve the chain issue in the end?

Anyone who's also approached these problems, please also chime in.
Old 10-09-13, 07:58 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Sorry for the thread bump, but I'm considering doing exactly what the OP has done, ordering a Chorus group. How did the install go? How's the group running? What frame do you have it all on? What wheels did you get? How did you solve the chain issue in the end?

Anyone who's also approached these problems, please also chime in.
I switched to Campagnolo last year and started with Chorus 11. Installation was no different than the previous Sram Red components I had before although you'll need a T-25(Torx 25) tool to install the shifters and the rear derailleur.

I chose Chorus 11 for the De Rosa and have never thought about going back to Sram ever since. To date, I now have SR11-EPS on both the Ridley and De Rosa; the drivetrain on both bikes are the only components that are not Campagnolo but work and shift flawlessly. I'm also using KMC X11SL chains on both bikes and doesn't require a propeietary tool to install and remove the chain.
Old 10-09-13, 08:10 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Thanks Primov. When you say your drivetrain is all that isn't Campy, do you mean your cranks, chain and cassette?

Is the Torx-25 a big issue? I mean, they're easy enough to find, right? I think I have a screwdriver bit set with some lying around.
Old 10-09-13, 08:22 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
In regards to the drivetrain, I just wanted something different. Since Campagnolo didn't have a bb30/pf30 crankset at the time, I stuck with my Rotor 3D+ crank and added Praxis Works chainrings, Recon cassette and a KMC X11SL chain.

The drivetrain on the De Rosa is similar with the exception of newly added FSA 386EVO Gossamer crankarms.

You may actually have a T-25 bit laying around. I went and bought a folding Torx set and didn't realize I had a T-25 bit already in those screwdriver bit sets I had in the garage.
Old 10-09-13, 09:51 AM
TommyBing
Banned

Bikes: Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
It's isn't necessary to use the KMC chain if you don't want to. I'm running the KMC Missing Link with a Chorus chain. No problems...

I used to run a Wippermann chain and Connex Link when I had the Centaur drivetrain, but so far they have not made an 11-spd version. Being a travel bike, it was easier to disassemble the chain, pack in it's own bag and keep it from getting other things dirty and scratched.

To further the point, a KMC link works on Chorus and Record 11 speed chains.

And most importantly, you definitely DO NOT need $100 of tools to pop a Campy 11 speed chain pin.

Lezyne makes a fabulous mini tool that will pop a pin AND serve as a peening tool if you are not using a missing link. The Lezyne tool will also work on a KMC 11 chain (and I suspect Shimaon/SRAM too, though I never tried.) The Lezyne tool I bought on eBay for $20.