Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Taking my bike back -- Opinions on the next option?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Taking my bike back -- Opinions on the next option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 01:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The thing that is missing from the video is any information about what stresses, crashes or whatever caused these failures. I doubt these were spontaneous failures, even from age. There are plenty of similar photos of the failures of all bike materials. Surely perhaps at higher stress loads, but still failures. The narrator says, when you crash carbon, you must inspect it before using it again. That about sums it up.
Old 05-12-13, 08:03 PM
EnsitMike

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The thing that is missing from the video is any information about what stresses, crashes or whatever caused these failures. I doubt these were spontaneous failures, even from age. There are plenty of similar photos of the failures of all bike materials. Surely perhaps at higher stress loads, but still failures. The narrator says, when you crash carbon, you must inspect it before using it again. That about sums it up.
You are completely right, and I keep these things in mind. When I look at this video, the force it takes to hit a delamination point does not seem that much when you take repetitive ride forces into account. Again if we are going to be analytical I know we don't know the manufacture and so on and so forth, but as a general reference. There are just lots of little things that make carbon fiber a more complex material, and it is a hurdle I am just going to have to get over. I just don't want to make the newbie mistake of thinking carbon is better just because, well everyone else is doing it, when really it is a luxury material that sacrifices reliability for weight. Many seem convinced that this is not the case and that carbon will last, and many peoples' carbon bikes have.

The mystery of the material doesn't help. It is new on the scene, relatively, and everyone has different opinions.

Old 05-12-13, 08:29 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you are worried about a carbon frame from a well know maker failing then you are worry about nothing.
Your biggest worry should be getting the fit right.
Then worry about putting 100k on and finding a crack.
Old 05-12-13, 08:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by EnsitMike
I did try a 56, and i felt ok though it's on the long end. Being in the middle, I decided that Id rather have a bit longer stem than to shorten it. I like the handling stability that comes along with that.
There you, smart shopper.

I've been riding carbon frames for 6 or 7 years now without a serious failure. There was a Giant that gave me a cracked seatpost and eventually died of micro-tears in the resin, but I'd bought it used and I've had two people tell me that lots of Giants from that period did that. Newer carbon bikes have improved through extremely high compression in the molding process, modular construction, and better resins.
Old 05-12-13, 10:01 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were buying a carbon bike, I would buy it from Competitive Cyclist- who offers a LIFETIME return-it-at-any-time-no-questions-asked warranty and have some great deals.

Manufacturer's warranties, from what I've heard, are not that great- i.e. they often deny claims; or they only give you partial credit towards a new frame which you have to purchase from them or one of their dealers, at retail price...so you really don't end up saving anything on the replacement over what you could just buy one for, elsewhere.

And as others have said: Nothing wrong with Tiagra. One of my bikes is D/A...and my other is Sora(gasp!)- and they boith work equally well, as I keep them both in good tune (Which is not hard on either).
Old 05-12-13, 11:09 PM
Condor637

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if carbon is not an option than wood is an alternative .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
renovo5.jpg (57.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-12-13, 11:24 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you're getting the cannondale, save your money and get the CAAD10. Best bike Cdale makes.

The SST and Altamira are great bikes. Both are pro team frames and used in the pro peloton. They are also great riding frames.
Fuji also has the Gran Fondo which is a full carbon sport bike in your pricepoint.
Old 05-13-13, 12:56 AM
EnsitMike

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
If you're getting the cannondale, save your money and get the CAAD10. Best bike Cdale makes.

The SST and Altamira are great bikes. Both are pro team frames and used in the pro peloton. They are also great riding frames.
Fuji also has the Gran Fondo which is a full carbon sport bike in your pricepoint.
If I am going aluminum my only option is CAAD8 unfortunately, and no one has recommended that over their supersix.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
There you, smart shopper.

I've been riding carbon frames for 6 or 7 years now without a serious failure. There was a Giant that gave me a cracked seatpost and eventually died of micro-tears in the resin, but I'd bought it used and I've had two people tell me that lots of Giants from that period did that. Newer carbon bikes have improved through extremely high compression in the molding process, modular construction, and better resins.
6-7 years and those are your only failures? That is a track record that could make me a confident carbon rider. How do you normally ride though? I'll definitely be ridding city streets as well as the local track.
Old 05-13-13, 06:13 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I am going aluminum my only option is CAAD8 unfortunately, and no one has recommended that over their supersix.

6-7 years and those are your only failures? That is a track record that could make me a confident carbon rider. How do you normally ride though? I'll definitely be ridding city streets as well as the local track.
Carbon bikes are ridden down mountains. Your city isn't going to hurt it.

The vast majority of broken carbon you see comes from serious crashes or collisions. A superlight alloy frame like the CAAD isn't going to hold up well to that either. Do you know how thin that tubing is?

Many years ago, there were a whole host of people who were convinced that aluminium was a completely unsuitable bike material and riding it was a deathwish - aluminium alloys are permanently damaged by small stresses and can fail suddenly and without warning when stressed over time - and you can see how that turned out.

Carbon is actually incredibly resilient to normal stresses - more so than alloy. It's the sudden, hard shocks that can damage it.

Last edited by Nerull; 05-13-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 08:23 AM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've got over 30k on my 2009 Specialized Roubaix. Cracks are the least of my concerns as the entire bike needs a new group now.
Warranty?
This is about the relationship you have with your LBS. If my frame ever cracked I know my LBS would go to bat for me and I would get a new replacement. It pays to shop local.
But I plan on putting another 70k on this frame and then hang it on my wall.
Old 05-14-13, 04:12 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did try a 56, and i felt ok though it's on the long end. Being in the middle, I decided that Id rather have a bit longer stem than to shorten it. I like the handling stability that comes along with that.

I do have to say, running into this made me feel a little uneasy though. Other videos talk about delamination and other maintenance-- doing some more research on carbon wear and tear this evening.
In a CF bike, your odds of seeing that situation are slim to none -- I'd venture no more than you are likely to have stress-related issues from aluminum or anything else. Delamination is most likely to occur after a CF bike has been crashed and since it's difficult, if not impossible, to predict in advance, some manufacturers suggest disposing of wrecked carbon frames.

But personally I wouldn't worry about this likelihood one bit and I ride a CF frame. Life isn't perfect, but the goal is to enjoy the ride so to speak. Given that anything can fail because of poor materials or improper workmanship, you just have to evaluate the odds and since the odds are extremely slim, I wouldn't worry about it. If CF bikes work for racers putting them under much more demanding situations than a normal rider ever will, they'll work for you too.
Old 05-14-13, 06:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Not sure how you can say you got a great deal if it doesn't fit, this should be the #1 priority for any bike.
Absolutely

That said, you can always make a small bike bigger, with stem & seatpost adjustment, just look at the stem length at the Giro this year, they are getting real long again.
That's true only so far. If you recall, OP said he already had a bunch of spacers under the stem and still felt the bars are too low. Without getting a high angle stem or getting a steer tube extender, that is one factor that you can't correct on a frame that is too small.

I personally think he's headed in the right direction in checking into a larger frame, especially if he can now return that bike, and using his new knowledge and experience, participate intelligently in selecting a new frame.

I also think it's wrong to cite the way pros are setting up their bikes as an example of how to get a fit. In fact, my personal opinion is that most people, when "in between" frame sizes would be much better off sizing up rather than down. Because most riders, even fast, enthusiastic recreational riders and amateur racers, would be better off with a more comfortable fit as opposed to maximizing saddle-bar drop in the thought of being "aero". Most aren't physically able to handle it comfortably and overall speed will suffer. Or - if one wants to get as aero as his/her hips and physique will tolerate, get in the drops and bend the elbows. A slightly larger frame gives more options for the majority of non-pros. IMHO of course.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-14-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 07:08 AM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Absolutely

That's true only so far. If you recall, OP said he already had a bunch of spacers under the stem and still felt the bars are too low. Without getting a high angle stem or getting a steer tube extender, that is one factor that you can't correct on a frame that is too small.

I personally think he's headed in the right direction in checking into a larger frame, especially if he can now return that bike, and using his new knowledge and experience, participate intelligently in selecting a new frame.

I also think it's wrong to cite the way pros are setting up their bikes as an example of how to get a fit. In fact, my personal opinion is that most people, when "in between" frame sizes would be much better off sizing up rather than down. Because most riders, even fast, enthusiastic recreational riders and amateur racers, would be better off with a more comfortable fit as opposed to maximizing saddle-bar drop in the thought of being "aero". Most aren't physically able to handle it comfortably and overall speed will suffer. Or - if one wants to get as aero as his/her hips and physique will tolerate, get in the drops and bend the elbows. A slightly larger frame gives more options for the majority of non-pros. IMHO of course.
This I agree with ^^^
Old 05-15-13, 07:35 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, so why is a caad8 your only option in AL?? why not a caad10? not that a caad8/105 is a bad bike or anything, just curious
Old 05-15-13, 11:02 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All bikes fail. We'll be seeing more carbon failures because more carbon bikes are being sold. Back when aluminum was super popular, I could show you lots of aluminum failures. The material is fine. A friend still rides his Tarmac everywhere that is a 2007 with 5 race seasons on it, 3 crashes and about 10K/ year. Another guy I know ran into a post at low speed and cracked the chainstay. I could go on and on with anecdotes, but that's all they are. This material is good, it is durable, and it's here to stay.

Buy the bike and get a fitting if you can swing it too.
Old 05-15-13, 03:42 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
All bikes fail. We'll be seeing more carbon failures because more carbon bikes are being sold. Back when aluminum was super popular, I could show you lots of aluminum failures. The material is fine. A friend still rides his Tarmac everywhere that is a 2007 with 5 race seasons on it, 3 crashes and about 10K/ year. Another guy I know ran into a post at low speed and cracked the chainstay. I could go on and on with anecdotes, but that's all they are. This material is good, it is durable, and it's here to stay.

Buy the bike and get a fitting if you can swing it too.
No, sorry.....but back when there was only steel and aluminum, I'd never even heard of anyone who had a busted frame among recreational [non-racing] riders, unless they got mangled by a motor vehicle. Today, a busted CF frame is pretty common...all it takes is a crash....not even necessarily a bad crash- it's just a matter of how it hits. Or sometimes the CF starts delaminating through no fault of the owner; or gets a gouge or a chip or abrasion, which degrades into more serious damage. These things simply didn't happen before CF came on the scene.
Old 05-15-13, 04:56 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I do have to say, running into this made me feel a little uneasy though. Other videos talk about delamination and other maintenance-- doing some more research on carbon wear and tear this evening.

Ignore all the scare-videos out there. The same has been pretty much said about aluminum, and even thin-walled butted steel tubes at one point or another. Fact is, modern carbon frames and components are strong, lightweight, and very durable. BTW, we're similar in height and inseam (I've got maybe a 1/2" on you in both), and I find I fit great on 54's and 55's (depending on the manufacturer). Sounds like you made a good choice.
Old 05-15-13, 05:26 PM
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget about your gear.

Bibs, Jerseys, Helmet, Frame pump, patch kit, spare tubes.
Clipless pedals and shoes.

Good luck. I'd go Supersix, then again I'm biased because I own one. You will most likely want to upgrade later; good for you Caad10's and SS's have a good resell as opposed to Fuji which is slightly less
Old 10-02-13, 10:27 PM
SirKronan
SirKronan

Bikes: Raleigh M50, 2012 Fuji SST 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did you end up getting, Mike?