Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

best replacement road shoe insole for tingling toes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 09:04 PM
mpetruzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new pair of giro trans road shoes. I had a pair of pearl izumis that were too narrow and after 10 miles my right foot went numb, not my right. I went to every local bike store and tried on all different types and brands of shoes. They all gave me a tingling sensation on the toes in my left foot when I walked in them. I'm feeling the sensation under where my cleat is. I know the new shoes aren't too tight because I was professionally fitted.

I'm thinking I need to replace the insoles with something that provides metatarsal support. I wasn't sure if I need to buy new insoles or if there was an insert I could put on the insole that would make my toes relax while pedaling.

Is there something I can do to "massage" my foot after a ride?? I've seen some balls with little knobs that have been recommended after a ride that help keep tendons loose.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!!
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Google "Specialized BG insoles" and see if what they say may help your situation. They have a "foot-o-meter" to determine which model.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the specialized. Just the wedges that came in it are golden. I got a pair of sidi's pro 5 and LG carbon 300 something. I can go forever in the sidis now and LG's 15 miles before worrying about adjusting my foot position in them before noticing anything. Prior the LG it was 5 miles and had to actively hold a foot position.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My favourite is the yoursole heat thin sport heat moldable insoles.
Old 01-31-13, 10:06 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Or, try heat moldable. I've found them to be better than Specialized.

https://www.orthoticshop.com/sole-thi...FVSSPAod6V8A1g
Old 01-31-13, 10:06 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get custom orthotics. No combo of shoe+insole helped me until I had some custom insoles made.
Old 01-31-13, 10:08 PM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just get wider shoes and toss in some insoles from a pair of running shoes.

Fancy? no.

Works insanely well? Yes.

I wear 13eeee shoes. or 49wide... depending on your size system.

Currently wear some Shimano shoes, I have never had a problem with them. 6-8 hours? no worries.

NB: I've suffered from chronic ingrown toenails for over 20 years... surgery required every couple years to remove toenails I can't remove myself. I remove my own toe nails with a pair of pliers every few months.

Until you pull out your own toenails with pliers... HTFU.

Quit buying shoes that are too small.

Last edited by BigJeff; 01-31-13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 10:37 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJeff
I just get wider shoes and toss in some insoles from a pair of running shoes.
When I started riding hard wider shoes were simply not available, so the damage is already done. But these days shoes are built around many different lasts, so it should not be too difficult for most guys to find shoes that are wide enough.

I do find there is too much cush in running insoles, though, which lets my feet move around and causes hot spots around the upper.

A metatarsal bum helps spread the flanges away from the nerves, so I highly recommend that. Specialized BG and Giro insoles have it. Lately I prefer the Giros because you get one footbed with three different medial arch cookies.
Old 01-31-13, 11:04 PM
kaimat
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will offer more support for Specialized BG. I had some foot issues when I first started riding (hot spots, not tingling, so maybe take this with a grain of salt) but the BG inserts cleared up everything and I haven't had any problem since.

Any chance the socks are too tight??
Old 02-01-13, 03:58 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMO your feet are swelling more than you think they do. THats the reason of the tingling sensation, new insoles will work but the only way to dodge the problem is just go straight to larger shoes.

In a fit session the guy can fix a lot of stuff but in the road is when the things get tough because is not the same ride in a trainer than in the road.

The giro shoes are narrow, I would go straight with shimano or specialized shoes. In at least 1 extra number. You can return specialized shoes if they dont work, brand policy just dont go rock climbing with them.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-13, 08:44 AM
mpetruzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses! I am pretty sure that they aren't too narrow. My feet are definately not as scrunched up as they were in my old shoes. I think I need to find an insole with a metatarsal bump. No matter what shoes I try on as soon as I stand up I'm experiencing the tingling feeling. I spent about 30 minutes trying on all different shoes and sizes and they all had the same result.

I'll do some research from the insoles that have been recommended, thanks!
Old 02-01-13, 08:47 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NB: I've suffered from chronic ingrown toenails for over 20 years... surgery required every couple years to remove toenails I can't remove myself. I remove my own toe nails with a pair of pliers every few months.

Until you pull out your own toenails with pliers... HTFU.

Quit buying shoes that are too small.

damn, WTF! dude!! that's flippin HARD man!!!

respect.
Old 02-01-13, 08:54 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get custom molded insoles if you can afford them. I wish I had started right there instead of haphazardly learning that I need two different insoles (Specialized BG Fit blue on the left, BG Fit red and two varus toe wedges for my right foot).
Old 02-01-13, 09:13 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i like shimano shoes. nice and wide.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-01-13, 09:22 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
Get custom molded insoles if you can afford them. I wish I had started right there instead of haphazardly learning that I need two different insoles (Specialized BG Fit blue on the left, BG Fit red and two varus toe wedges for my right foot).
Going custom right away would have saved me soooo much time and money. A qualified podorthist or podiatrist will be able to do these, and in some cases insurance may cover it.
Old 02-01-13, 09:26 AM
mpetruzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
From everything I'm seeing I need something with a metatarsal bump. I've gotten quite a few recommendations for heat molded insoles. Would those provide that metatarsal support or do I need to get something that actually has that bump to relax the tendons.
Old 02-01-13, 09:45 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just get wider shoes and toss in some insoles from a pair of running shoes.....
.....Quit buying shoes that are too small.
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
When I started riding hard wider shoes were simply not available, so the damage is already done. But these days shoes are built around many different lasts, so it should not be too difficult for most guys to find shoes that are wide enough.....
Most cyclists seem to buy shoes based more on brand loyalty or a quick "walk-in-a-circle" fit for some reason, so it is no wonder that so many cyclists have issues with "hot spots" as well as knee pain. And while I recognize that the OP's issue is not necessarily width-related, it is important for every cyclist to purchase a cycling shoe that fits your feet properly in foot size and width first, and then make further corrections with standard or custom orthotics if better fit is required.

Unfortunately most "name brand" cycling shoe makers such as Shimano or Specialized ignore width differences entirely except in their high-end shoes, so most of their shoes will only fit people with "D width feet properly. Sidi however has always done a great job of explaining shoe fit, and they make most of their shoes in a "standard size" (basically a "D" width), a "narrow size" (a B/C width), a "mega-size" (an EE/EEE width).

BTW: Another "old school" trick is to soak your shoes over night in a bucket of warm water, and then wear them until they dry so that they will form fit to your feet's particular nuances. I started doing this over 40 years ago because my cross country running coach was a bit of a shoe-fit facist, and I have continued to do it with every pair of my cycling shoes as well as all of hiking, rock climbing, and snowshoeing boots.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 02-01-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 12:09 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Agree wider and a bit of looseness across the forefoot helps a great deal. As far as soaking them and stretching them, I've worn many of the bike shoes I got in soaking wet conditions and continued riding until they dried. None stretched or changed shape significantly due to being made entirely of synthetics and composites (Nylon, Lorica, plastic...etc.). It may be worth a try, but in my experience I wouldn't expect much.
Old 02-01-13, 12:12 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
BTW: Another "old school" trick is to soak your shoes over night in a bucket of warm water, and then wear them until they dry so that they will form fit to your feet's particular nuances. I started doing this over 40 years ago because my cross country running coach was a bit of a shoe-fit facist, and I have continued to do it with every pair of my cycling shoes as well as all of hiking, rock climbing, and snowshoeing boots.
That might work 40 years ago but not today. The OP shoes have carbon fiber soles and synthetic microfiber uppers. All soaking will do is make a mess and won't change the shape one bit.
Old 02-01-13, 12:17 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I had a similar problem with a pair of SHimano shoes.
I would get a burning sensation on the ball and outside edge of my foot.
My solution was to just remove the insole altogether.
Fixed the problem.
Old 02-01-13, 12:22 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forget the sole, get a shoe with a wider toe box. I love these and will replace with the same.
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1094755_-1
Old 02-01-13, 04:24 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shoes too tight, many people dont realize that feet get swollen. Mines started with the problem when i was 38 y/o and took me like 4 months to nail the problem. Using 1.5 sizes bigger shoes now, problem gone forever. Heard about people taking the insoles out, that kind'a prove the point.

Originally Posted by shadoman
I had a similar problem with a pair of SHimano shoes.
I would get a burning sensation on the ball and outside edge of my foot.
My solution was to just remove the insole altogether.
Fixed the problem.
Old 02-01-13, 04:29 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also encourage you to get an overall fit if you haven't. I have a teammate that had issues with his right foot and come to find out it was a saddle issue,too narrow.
Old 02-01-13, 04:48 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Shoes too tight, many people dont realize that feet get swollen. Mines started with the problem when i was 38 y/o and took me like 4 months to nail the problem. Using 1.5 sizes bigger shoes now, problem gone forever. Heard about people taking the insoles out, that kind'a prove the point.
A lot of people also don't realize that your feet continue to grow even after you're an adult. From age 35 to age 50 my feet grew from a US 9 to a US 11.
The main reason I tried removing them was that my old Dettos and Looks from the 80's didn't have an insole and they never seemed to miss them...
Old 02-01-13, 05:21 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
.....None stretched or changed shape significantly due to being made entirely of synthetics and composites (Nylon, Lorica, plastic...etc.). It may be worth a try, but in my experience I wouldn't expect much.
If your shoes already fit your feet well, they are of course unlikely to change at all.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
That might work 40 years ago but not today. The OP shoes have carbon fiber soles and synthetic microfiber uppers. All soaking will do is make a mess and won't change the shape one bit.
Nearly all of my cycling shoes have partial leather, synthetic leather or woven synthetic fabrics uppers, and they actually do take on a new shape quite easily. I am not familiar with the OP's shoes, but in my experience, almost any shoe with leather or woven fabric uppers will more closely mold to your foot's shape and volume if each foot has unique characteristics to it's shape or volume. The sole material is irrelevent though, because it is the innersole that will take on the new shape, not the outersole.

Additionally, when you buy your shoes or check your sizing, you should try them out for fit at the end of the day, because your feet will actually widen out and even increase in volume by the end of the day.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 02-01-13 at 05:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.