Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

'05 Speciialized S-Works E5 question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

'05 Speciialized S-Works E5 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 03:22 PM
Billywa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'05 Specialized S-Works E5 question

Ok gang, I should know the answer to this and maybe I'm just overthinking it but...

A neighbor handed me a 2005 Specialized S-Works E5 in anodized silver, with Dura Ace and Mavic Ksyrium rims and hubs. To be honest, save for a few scuffs on the frame and fork here and there (likely from being laid in a pickup bed) this thing appears almost brand new, though it obviously sat in a garage somewhere. The Dura Ace chain is still shiny silver (though bone dry) and the nibs are still on the tires. Only element that tells me it's not brand new is someone put interruptor levers on the tops.

Now the mystery: I measure this frame at 17" center to top which equates to a 43 or 44cm frame give or take. That's all well and good, except Specialized didn't make this bike in any size smaller than 50cm (which I confirmed with a call to Specialized). This one has a 100mm head tube (which is what the 50cm model has, it goes up 10mm for every 2cm of frame size). So my question is, am I missing something in my measurement? Given this is defined as a compact frame, should I be measuring something else to get to 50cm? The Spesh S-works carbon seat post has a 2-3" insert that obviously isn't made to go down into the tube, should I account for that?

Only other theory both my LBS (a Specialized dealer) and the Specialized rep I spoke to had was this might have been a demo model. Again, I may be overthinking this but, as my modern frame knowledge stopped evolving with Italian steel, I'm wondering if I missed something. Anybody have any further insights or info? Thanks!

Last edited by Billywa; 08-04-14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 09:42 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Compact frames are sometimes measured from the center of the crank to the center of the theoretical intersection of a level top tube and the seat tube. Break out your level if you want to try and measure this yourself. I am nearly certain that this is how Specialized sizes their frames.
Old 08-04-14, 09:33 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a 50cm. They had sloping top tubes. I had a 56 '05 Sworks E5 and it was around 52cm to center of the top tube.
Old 08-06-14, 11:42 PM
Billywa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Measuring to the center of that imaginary straight horizontal tube does indeed get us to a 50 cm frame size. BUT, to throw a bit more mystery into this, another call to Specialized had a guy telling me that they did indeed make an 05 S-Works E5 with a 17" c-t frame that they considered a 47 cm frame size. Again however, the 05 catalog they have online says the smallest size they made of said model was 50cm. Asked the guy to email the catalog he was looking at and what I received was a pdf link to their 2003 catalog (not 2005), showing an S-Works frame with 17" (43 cm, 430mm) seat tube and 100 mm head tube that they defined as a 47cm, which he said was the same as the 05. Think I'm gonna call it a 50cm and call it good!
Old 08-07-14, 12:45 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pics of bike, please!!

If you can.....with tape measure from center of crank to top tube (theoretical or just run it up past the seat clamp)

Sounds like a cool bike, regardless.....ESPECIALLY if he just gave it to you!!!
Old 08-07-14, 01:47 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Billywa
Thanks for the responses guys. Measuring to the center of that imaginary straight horizontal tube does indeed get us to a 50 cm frame size. BUT, to throw a bit more mystery into this, another call to Specialized had a guy telling me that they did indeed make an 05 S-Works E5 with a 17" c-t frame that they considered a 47 cm frame size. Again however, the 05 catalog they have online says the smallest size they made of said model was 50cm. Asked the guy to email the catalog he was looking at and what I received was a pdf link to their 2003 catalog (not 2005), showing an S-Works frame with 17" (43 cm, 430mm) seat tube and 100 mm head tube that they defined as a 47cm, which he said was the same as the 05. Think I'm gonna call it a 50cm and call it good!
I'm not saying this is the case here but SOME manufacturers make frames that are nearly identical except for the standover height, and only on the dinky frames. So a 47 and a 50 would be nearly identical except for the angle of the top tube and the length of the seat tube.

Specialized seems to use virtual measurements these days, so it's harder to verify but easier to shop for if you're a consumer.