Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

With the rise of throttle e-bikes, e-motorcycles, mopeds etc. on the MUPs....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 11:23 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts

Have you shifted more of your spare time to other hobbies and recreational pursuits?
Old 04-22-24, 11:44 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 795 Posts
Nope, because I don't ride on MUPs. However, I am curious how the ebike issue, including on MUPs, evolve over time. They certainly are getting faster and no need to pedal to get up to speed. I can spot an ebike a mile away, even if the rider is pedaling "pedaling".

Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-22-24, 12:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
Why would I?

In my area they don't seem to be a bother. Those I've seen on the MUP and elsewhere are all being ridden at a leisurely pace. There was one guy on a really heavy fat-tire e-bike that tried to stay with me on a climb, but he wasn't able to keep up with me. Don't know why, he never caught back up in the other six miles I had remaining for the day.

I don't know if any of them have been the type of e-bikes that should not be called e-bikes.
Old 04-22-24, 02:19 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 789 Posts
One of the popular MUPs in this area has a speed limit of 15mph. Due to complaints about some people on 'throttled' e-bikes (which are really electric motor scooters, IMHO) the police have been setting up radar traps alongside the path, and stopping and ticketing those that are well over the limit and/or riding in a manner that endangers others on the MUP.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-22-24, 05:18 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Don't ride MUPs very often. Lucky to have lots of country roads to ride with not much traffic.
Old 04-22-24, 05:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,039 Times in 2,694 Posts
Please don't call throttled vehicles e-bikes, e-bikes DO NOT have throttles. Sadly yes though more throttled vehicles are getting into MUPs or bike lanes and is frustrating but nobody enforces the laws or rules. If someone did enforce the rules it would be great but it could lead to mistaken enforcement of legitimate cyclists.

The only place a throttle belongs is on normal roads with cars then they are fine or on motorcycle trails. Throttles themselves aren't bad they just aren't needed in pedestrian and bicycle spaces.
Old 04-22-24, 08:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,998 Times in 1,928 Posts
nope. Just do less waving.
Old 04-23-24, 06:18 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Please don't call throttled vehicles e-bikes, e-bikes DO NOT have throttles. Sadly yes though more throttled vehicles are getting into MUPs or bike lanes and is frustrating but nobody enforces the laws or rules. If someone did enforce the rules it would be great but it could lead to mistaken enforcement of legitimate cyclists.

The only place a throttle belongs is on normal roads with cars then they are fine or on motorcycle trails. Throttles themselves aren't bad they just aren't needed in pedestrian and bicycle spaces.
That's not my understanding. I'm not sure how old these definitions are, but there are already ebikes that can hit 40+MPH and they have pedals.

https://www.wheelworld.com/articles/...cles-pg278.htm

1) TYPE 1 E-Bike: Pedal Assist, is an electric bicycle on which you must pedal in order to use the motor. It's just like a conventional bicycle except that there's a motor that senses that you're pedaling and kicks in to aid the pedaling effort. It feels like you have the best tailwind of your life on a permanent basis. This class/type of E-bike may or may not have a throttle. (Pedal Assist, may or may not also have a throttle, Max. Speed 20mph, no need for driver’s license, no age limit.)

2) TYPE 2 E-Bike: Throttle Only, is an e-bike equipped with a motor controlled by a throttle. On these electrics, you don't have to pedal to benefit from the motor. When you want power, just crank the throttle and away you go. You'll be able to accelerate in the middle of a corner thus increasing traction. Of course, the less you pedal, the sooner you run out of juice in the battery. (Throttle Only, Max. Speed 20mph, no need for driver’s license, no age limit.)

3) TYPE 3 E-Bike: Pedal Assist 28mph. this Class/Type is the fastest “legal” E-bike with a maximum speed of 28mph. Still considered a “bicycle” and does not require a driver’s license, license plate, ect. It’s legally considered a bicycle….. and man is it fun! By law a helmet is required. Typically this category would be best for someone commuting on their bike.(Pedal Assist, may or may not also have a throttle, Max. Speed 28mph, no need for driver’s license, must be 17 or older, helmet is required.)
Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-23-24, 07:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,039 Times in 2,694 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
That's not my understanding. I'm not sure how old these definitions are, but there are already ebikes that can hit 40+MPH and they have pedals.

https://www.wheelworld.com/articles/...cles-pg278.htm
Having pedals and a throttle makes it a moped which has basis in bicycles but a bicycle is pedal only. If people want to ride them and all of that, totally fine, go for it, plenty of roads all over the U.S. for motorized throttled vehicles they just don't need to be mis-defined as a bicycle nor be on trails and paths designed for bicycles or pedestrians.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-23-24, 07:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 1,065 Posts
It varies under local laws and ordinances. Here in Parts Unknown, by the book any ebike with a throttle is legally a moped and like any moped requires an operator's license, registration with a license tag and liability insurance. It is illegal to operate one on an MUP.

In reality, it's sort of 'wild west'/libertarian on the ground. The LEOs are oblivious and most likely will remain so until some child gets hit/hurt by a speeding electric moped.
Old 04-23-24, 08:14 AM
Troul 

next we'll be seeing stuff like the "phatmoto" zipping down the MUPs...

https://www.phatmoto.com/
Old 04-23-24, 08:18 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Having pedals and a throttle makes it a moped which has basis in bicycles but a bicycle is pedal only. If people want to ride them and all of that, totally fine, go for it, plenty of roads all over the U.S. for motorized throttled vehicles they just don't need to be mis-defined as a bicycle nor be on trails and paths designed for bicycles or pedestrians.
I don't disagree with you, but sadly what I listed are the official definitions now. People seem to not equate mopeds/scooters with throttle-controlled ebikes. I'm afraid that as the technology advances that there will be more throttle-only function available on bikes with pedals. I'm sure one day the laws will catch up and we will change the definitions of ebikes and such, but for now the bike industry calls them ebikes and the laws follow.

Another problem I see coming, as the technology advances the true ebikes will become faster without an increase in pedaling force. What then?

Old 04-23-24, 08:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
People seem to not equate mopeds/scooters with throttle-controlled ebikes..
'People' might not, but where I live, the law does.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-23-24, 08:37 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by tcs
'People' might not, but where I live, the law does.
I understand, there are places where the laws are attempting to catch up, but still a lot of gray areas and the technology is still advancing, there are a lot more areas of concern than just MUPs. Curious, where do you live? I'm curious of the laws/ordinances.

Old 04-23-24, 09:08 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Have you shifted more of your spare time to other hobbies and recreational pursuits?
Not at all. Though I am seeing more ebikes and the like (e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-motorbikes), they are still not that prevalent that I would encounter even a single one per day on the roads and trails that I use. What I do see regularly is these e-vehicles being ridden on the sidewalk. That's a concern, obviously, because some of them are being ridden to the max speed.

City of Toronto apparently has a ban on e-scooters, but that hasn't stopped anyone from owning or riding one around town, because there is zero enforcement. I don't ride downtown often, but when I do notice there are lots of e-scooters on the road, bike lanes, and paved trails. I try to stick to gravel trails to avoid them.
Old 04-23-24, 03:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked 2,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
I try to not let externals keep me from doing what I want. This doesn't mean that I don't adapt to reality, just that I have a bias.

Moreover, I rarely use bike paths or trails, so the presence of E-bikes is less of a factor for me than it might be for others.

That said, I believe that the various agencies involved made serious mistakes in defining E-bike classes. IMO the E-bike designation equating them to bicycles should be limited to pedal assist versions that will not go unless you're pedaling, and the assist should phase out at something slightly below 20mph. I believe that ANY 2 wheel vehicle that can move by motor power alone is by definition a "motorcycle", and should be regulated accordingly. I've no issue with creating a class of light motorcycles, which would cover the throttle E-bikes, and formulating appropriate regulations, ie. plate required, along with bike (not MC) helmet, but no special DL needed. Here in NY, I see far too many E-bikes operating more like MCs and am concerned that related issues will end up causing a clampdown that might end up including pedal assist E-bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-23-24, 03:55 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 416 Posts
We don’t have many MUP’s in Tokyo or Japan, but any e-bike which can move without pedaling must have a license plate, and is not allowed on a MUP. These bikes are all over Tokyo, and the police are clamping down hard on them, citing them for not having license plates, and citing riders for not wearing proper motorcycle helmets and/or operating a motor vehicle without a license. Getting a plate is not at all hard, but a drivers license in Japan costs a lot of time and money to get.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-23-24, 03:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,189 Posts
I tend to avoid MUT’s, not so much due to illegal (in NY State) throttle mopeds, but general congestion with runners, walkers, dog walkers, baby walkers 3 abreast, etc…. On the occasion. I head to the beach on a MUT, definitely many more e-bikes and otherwise illegal mopeds. When I commuted in Brooklyn and Queens on MUTs, there were a lot of Vespa style motorcycles as well as delivery folks in throttled mopeds.
Old 04-24-24, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Liked 4,913 Times in 3,042 Posts
Thread title reminds me of this:-

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-24-24, 05:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3699 Post(s)
Liked 5,515 Times in 2,794 Posts
My crystal ball tells me the artificial and silly distinctions between types of e-motor bikes will become irrelevant. People will choose the most power and functionality for their $. Vestigial pedals may remain, depending on how long the legal loopholes exist. Who knows how much disruption it would take before authorities think "Hmm, motor/ no motor. How easy to solve this."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-24-24, 05:48 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I ride mostly MUP. I see maybe 2 or 3 e-bikes a ride and I am doing around 25-40 miles. Not a problem at all since I am doing this for fun. Most e-bikes/e-scoots I see are young teens going to middle school. I ride a loop around the high school and still see regular bikes being pedaled up the hill to class.
Old 04-24-24, 07:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
No.
Old 04-24-24, 07:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
next we'll be seeing stuff like the "phatmoto" zipping down the MUPs...

https://www.phatmoto.com/
Next? I’ve already seen contraptions like that on trails here in Philly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-24-24, 09:53 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Next? I’ve already seen contraptions like that on trails here in Philly.
the homemade stuff is out there, but I haven't seen the commercially produced ones yet.
Old 04-24-24, 09:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
I've never paid them much mind. I see mostly aging boomers who couldn't pedal around the block on a regular bike going long distances on Rail-Trails riding E-bikes. The day might come when I'm too puny and weak to pedal a conventional bicycle so maybe an electric one is in my future. All of the bike rentals (bike share and rental companies) are using E-bikes these days in New Orleans where I lived for decades and Greenville, SC where I live now. I've never been terribly bothered by them.

I've owned motorcycles and bicycles. Never an E-bike. I believe if I had the irresistible urge to go fast and far I would just purchase another motorcycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.