Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I got booted from my group ride because I'm a triathlete (seriously).

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 12:28 PM
rpeterson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I've been riding 3 mornings a week with the same group since early February. Good group, 5-10 people usually, Cat 3/4 types, and early risers (we go out around 5). The entire time I've ridden with them I've used my tri/tt bike with no issues, just the unspoken rule that I stay out of aero in the pack. Well, last month some of them started hassling me about riding in aero when I'm pulling, saying things like I don't make a good draft or that I won't be able to avoid things well (bs). When they were there I just didn't get into aero when pulling, no problem, no one else said anything. Finally last week a few more said that I needed to get a real road bike or stop riding with them, and today they basically told me I wasn't welcome riding with them on my bike anymore.

So WTF? I don't up the pace when I get to the front (except when they wanted me to), I don't ride them through glass and pinecones, I have the best headlight, I'm the only one who consistently brings a pump and tool kit, and I'm smoother in the group than most of them. So seriously, why hate on the bike? I did recently order a road bike (shop will get it in this week), but right now I'm thinking **** them and finding a new group to ride with.
Old 07-25-11, 12:31 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by rpeterson
but right now I'm thinking **** them and finding a new group to ride with.
^^^This!

But I'm going ****, just in case
Old 07-25-11, 12:35 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This should be good.

..and I have to ask, where exactly do you do triathlons in Utah?
Old 07-25-11, 12:35 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Uh... eff 'em I say.
Old 07-25-11, 12:38 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KendallF
This should be good.

..and I have to ask, where exactly do you do triathlons in Utah?
There are plenty of places, tons of local reservoirs and mountain lakes. There's a good Olympic distance race at least every week, and 2 or 3 small pool swim sprints every weekend. Good long season to, open water races from April to October.
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should keep riding at the same time as them, but do the ride backwards.
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
we hate on tt bikes in our group...maybe youre one of the guys riding a tt bike who actually has handling skills. Maybe the guys in your group have had similar issues that we've had. Like them not being able to go around corners, point out debris without swerving, etc...we do everything we can to drop the tt guys as quickly as possible. Which usually doesnt take long because they have no acceleration. Ive never understood the idea of buying a bike that was made for solo riding and taking it to a group ride.

EDIT: credit due for ordering a road bike.
Old 07-25-11, 12:41 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the aerobars, you can't effectively point out obstacles and warn folks of hazards that are coming. You can't get to your brakes as quickly. If you want to ride a tri/TT bike in a group situation, you absolutely should stay out of the aerobars.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-25-11, 12:42 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hammy56
we hate on tt bikes in our group...maybe youre one of the guys riding a tt bike who actually has handling skills. Maybe the guys in your group have had similar issues that we've had. Like them not being able to go around corners, point out debris without swerving, etc...we do everything we can to drop the tt guys as quickly as possible. Which usually doesnt take long because they have no acceleration.
My cycling background comes from mountain bike racing, handling is no problem, I even learned to bunny hop in aero. And all the races I do are solo events, hence the bike, but why shouldn't I do group rides when it's easily some of the best training you can do?
Old 07-25-11, 12:42 PM
marcosbullock
Jinja

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...but right now I'm thinking **** them and finding a new group to ride with.
That about covers it. Just make sure to wave when you blow by them at races. ;-)
Old 07-25-11, 12:45 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
So I've been riding 3 mornings a week with the same group since early February. Good group, 5-10 people usually, Cat 3/4 types, and early risers (we go out around 5). The entire time I've ridden with them I've used my tri/tt bike with no issues, just the unspoken rule that I stay out of aero in the pack. Well, last month some of them started hassling me about riding in aero when I'm pulling, saying things like I don't make a good draft or that I won't be able to avoid things well (bs). When they were there I just didn't get into aero when pulling, no problem, no one else said anything. Finally last week a few more said that I needed to get a real road bike or stop riding with them, and today they basically told me I wasn't welcome riding with them on my bike anymore.

So WTF? I don't up the pace when I get to the front (except when they wanted me to), I don't ride them through glass and pinecones, I have the best headlight, I'm the only one who consistently brings a pump and tool kit, and I'm smoother in the group than most of them. So seriously, why hate on the bike? I did recently order a road bike (shop will get it in this week), but right now I'm thinking **** them and finding a new group to ride with.
I thought tri-bikes were bad etiquette in group rides? Some people consider the horns unsafe as well, you're lucky they let you join at all.
Old 07-25-11, 12:46 PM
marcosbullock
Jinja

Bikes: Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive never understood the idea of buying a bike that was made for solo riding and taking it to a group ride.
Eh...it happens.

Old 07-25-11, 12:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,930 Times in 4,162 Posts
They sound like a bunch of pricks.

I do know that a clueless rider on a TT/aero bike is dangerous, but you've been riding with them for a while so that doesn't really explain it.

Maybe you can find another group?
Old 07-25-11, 12:48 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe there's some personality clash going on, and they're just not being honest about it?

I've seen groups split up because of problems in social dynamics. Just because it's supposed to be about riding bikes, doesn't mean they're above treating this like it's high school all over again.
Old 07-25-11, 12:54 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
we hate on tt bikes in our group...maybe youre one of the guys riding a tt bike who actually has handling skills. Maybe the guys in your group have had similar issues that we've had. Like them not being able to go around corners, point out debris without swerving, etc...we do everything we can to drop the tt guys as quickly as possible. Which usually doesnt take long because they have no acceleration. Ive never understood the idea of buying a bike that was made for solo riding and taking it to a group ride.

I ride with a couple of yahoos, on road bikes, that do that same crap.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-25-11, 12:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Props on ordering a road bike. There is a difference and you're acknowledging that you know the difference.

Props on bringing pump etc on rides. It's annoying when someone flats and they didn't have the responsibility to bring their own stuff.

Now, the group ride bit. I have a feeling it's more than just the tri bike thing. Are you significantly stronger than they are? Do you have to constantly ease?

You seem pretty centered. Make sure that you really are more smooth than they are, or at least as smooth as possible. Smooth doesn't just mean pedaling, it means being predictable, not swerving, etc. You probably know that but as I've learned the hard way, it's hard to self-critique. You can ask one of the more sane riders for honest feedback if there is such a thing.

good luck. If none of that helps then find a new group. It's stressful enough to have to get to the ride on time and all that. No one needs to deal with clique infighting and such.

cdr
Old 07-25-11, 12:58 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Makel
I thought tri-bikes were bad etiquette in group rides? Some people consider the horns unsafe as well, you're lucky they let you join at all.
Ditto. I've never lived in an area where a TT bike would be allowed in a group ride.
Old 07-25-11, 12:59 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I ride with a couple of yahoos, on road bikes, that do that same crap.
no doubt, I do as well. imagine if those same guys were on tt bikes.
Old 07-25-11, 01:00 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoelS
From the aerobars, you can't effectively point out obstacles and warn folks of hazards that are coming. You can't get to your brakes as quickly. If you want to ride a tri/TT bike in a group situation, you absolutely should stay out of the aerobars.
+1

we hate on tt bikes in our group...maybe youre one of the guys riding a tt bike who actually has handling skills. Maybe the guys in your group have had similar issues that we've had. Like them not being able to go around corners, point out debris without swerving, etc...we do everything we can to drop the tt guys as quickly as possible. Which usually doesnt take long because they have no acceleration.
Ive never understood the idea of buying a bike that was made for solo riding and taking it to a group ride.

+1. I seriously hope you ordered the road bike because it is something you have been wanting and not because of "peer pressure", which sadly sounds like the case.

So WTF? I don't up the pace when I get to the front (except when they wanted me to), I don't ride them through glass and pinecones, I have the best headlight, I'm the only one who consistently brings a pump and tool kit, and I'm smoother in the group than most of them. So seriously, why hate on the bike? I did recently order a road bike (shop will get it in this week), but
right now I'm thinking **** them and finding a new group to ride with.
I think you found your answer!

More than likely, you having aero bars is not the reason but rather an excuse. Either you have missed all the clues or they are a bunch of ****** bags!! Either way, I wouldn't want to be there, so move on.
Old 07-25-11, 01:01 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you rode with some BF members. Seriously find another group to ride with.
Old 07-25-11, 01:08 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
further adds to my opinion that group rides are not for me. ill stick to my solo death climbs.
Old 07-25-11, 01:10 PM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
Sounds like you rode with some BF members. Seriously find another group to ride with.
This. I did my first rides a year ago on an 87 Centurion Ironman with DT's.

A young rider who I know well now voiced his dismay in safety, and didn't want us riding with them.

His father explained they did it safely, why couldn't I? I eventually upgraded, but I bet the OP's situation is Sandbox 101; he looks different than us thus does not belong.
Old 07-25-11, 01:11 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the title a bit misleading?

So you knew there was an unwritten rule to stay out of aero on the group ride, you decided to ignore that rule and they came back and said "you will have to ride a bike where you cant do that."

Is that about it?
Old 07-25-11, 01:17 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
It's stressful enough to have to get to the ride on time and all that. No one needs to deal with clique infighting and such.

cdr
+1 I wouldn't be surprised the real underlying issue is you are outperforming your group. Your TT bike is quite possibly the scapegoat.
Old 07-25-11, 01:23 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They did the right thing. You belong to a different dicipline. The member who posted the pic of the htc team forgot to take into considration the fact that these guys are all trained together, riding the same kind of a bike a in a closed non climbing relativley short course. You don't see mix and match here. If you want to hang out with your rodie friends, htfu and get a proper road bike. Don't bring a T-Ball set up to a baseball game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.