Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Spin bike help please

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spin bike help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 09:37 AM
Atxspin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin bike help please

I bought a used spin bike (Keller racer), but can’t seem to get it pedaling smoothly. I can dial up the tension, but it goes from easy to very hard quickly. And if I have the tension at medium, I can get pedal with some resistance, but as soon as I stand it feels like there is no tension at all. I am hoping this is a simple adjustment. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Old 09-09-20, 10:03 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Is the resistance controlled by magnetic resistance or a felt/cloth pad? Never heard of a Keller? Kettler maybe?

I guess check to see if the felt pad is worn, and replace if it is.
If it’s magnetic make sure the magnets move closer to the flywheel without touching and the movement is smooth when turning the resistance dial.
Old 09-09-20, 12:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If it is a Kettler Racer,

there appears to be a complicated function that might be the issue.

"Pressing “P = Fix/Var” will shift from rotation-speed independent to rotation-speed dependent operating mode.A double-headed arrow in the pedal rate display shows the rotation speed dependent operating mode. The limitation of performance is canceled. A change is only possible during training."
Old 09-09-20, 01:39 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I tried a spin bike once. Had to quit because I got too dizzy...
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-09-20, 02:00 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Fanciest looking coat rack I've ever seen

Likes For hillyman:
Old 09-09-20, 05:18 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Spin bike riding doesn’t transfer to out door riding gains for me. Would rather have a smart trainer.
Old 09-10-20, 12:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
https://www.kettlerusa.com/fitness/e...3677?fullSite=

Computer manual---https://s3.amazonaws.com/kettler-manuals/fitness/exercise%20bikes/7988-727.A.pdf

As far as how quickly the resistance ramps up, I have no idea ... that could be idiosyncratic to that machine. Check the manual, make sure all the tolerances are correct, contact the manufacturer (Phone:
866.804.0440 Monday thru Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST ---- email: parts@kettlerusa.com) and ask the pros.

Pretty obviously you put out more power when you stand (you are dropping your body weight onto the pedals plus the force of your muscles) so you can spin stiffer resistance than you can sitting---just as you would need (generally) to shift up when standing on a bike when climbing and switching from sitting to standing, you would want to increase the resistance when standing.--or spin the same resistance with higher revs, depending on how you wanted to exercise.

I did a lot of spinning when I wanted to train for a cross-country charity tour several years back. The work doesn't seem to translate directly, but you are using similar muscles in similar ways, and I found it to be an enjoyable workout, so it worked. Also, on a spin bike (or a trainer) you can go all-out because if your body gives out, you are at home, not 20 miles from home. On the spinner I was willing to work to failure--complete exhaustion---because I could ride by time, not distance---I never went anywhere, so I never had to ride back. Also, when weather refuses to cooperate, the spin bike is always ready to go.

Hope you work out your issues and enjo your opurchase.
Old 09-10-20, 04:52 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Spin bike riding doesn’t transfer to out door riding gains for me. Would rather have a smart trainer.
spin bikes can give you a nice workout if you have a decent one.