Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Drop Bars?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Drop Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 12:35 PM
kg6gkg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop Bars?

I am new to the whole drop bars idea. Every time I try to go into the drops it seems like I am bending over to far. Should I raise the bar up or is it something that I will get used to?

I haven't rode a bike in almost ten years and even then it was a wal mart special mountain bike.
Old 05-08-11, 12:51 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kg6gkg
I am new to the whole drop bars idea. Every time I try to go into the drops it seems like I am bending over to far. Should I raise the bar up or is it something that I will get used to?
Its both. If you are not used to drops, it will take some time for your body to adjust. In the meantime, if you have an adjustable stem or something try putting that on to see if it helps.

I have rarely used the drops on my bike. I'm mostly on the hoods or tops. Recently i've been contemplating switching over to trekking bars instead.
Old 05-08-11, 12:56 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the late 70's early 80's, I rode with drops. I quit riding for about 25 years, started riding again, found out drops weren't much fun for me. I discovered trekking bars, my body is much happier with them. YMMV.
Old 05-08-11, 01:07 PM
Oil_LOL
Green Tea Lemonade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had drops on my bike, with a flipped stem. I found I never rode in the drops, always on the hoods. Then, I put the stem back up, and I now mostly ride in the drops, unless I'm feeling tired or something.
Old 05-08-11, 01:41 PM
kg6gkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Its both. If you are not used to drops, it will take some time for your body to adjust. In the meantime, if you have an adjustable stem or something try putting that on to see if it helps.
I think I may try raising the bar and see if that helps. If not well I may have to find a plan b.
Old 05-10-11, 01:36 PM
c3hamby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plan B-take it to the local bike shop for a professional fit-there may be some other things going on with the fit, like seat position. Up/down/front/back. I love the drops, much more aerodynamic. But I see a lot of guys converting to straight bars, so either way is valid.
Old 05-10-11, 01:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Something like this will run you about $25, and let you move your bars up and down at will. It might be that your bike is too aggressive for you (low bars = aerodynamic profile) and you need them higher, or it might be that you'll get used to it with time. If it's the later, you can put them as high as you like now, and lower them slowly.