Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Montreal to Maine or to NH

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 09:46 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I plan on doing a 4-5 touring trip in October, just before it gets cooler and certain parks close.

I plan on doing most of the biking as much as possible in day, so that I can rest of the time hike to either Katahdin or Mount Washington. I am more familiar with Maine as I have drove countless times through there and hiked Katahdin and parts Baxter state park. I plan on camping but can stay at motels if affordable, but perhaps a mix of both but freecampsites.net is useful and it shows me the free campsites, but I will have my camping gear with me. I plan on carrying only around 20 pounds maybe 15. I think the ride to NH is the easier choice since I have so little time, and less biking to do but seems like it might be a lot of climbing tho. What do you guys think?
Old 09-27-23, 03:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
If the second route involves some trail miles in northern VT, you should check official websites for trail damage due to flooding this summer.

BTW…It’s more helpful to post something like a RWGPS map. You can’t see much detail on a screen shot. Also, Google Maps is not always your friend. I’ve found its elevation data to be off. Way off sometimes compared to RWGPS.
Old 09-27-23, 06:50 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I live near Mount Washington NH and have cycled from Montreal several times. Here is my route to Crawford Notch ...

I would always cross the border at the Frelighsburg QC/E Franklin VT station and camp at Lake Carmi SP the first night. Take the longer route through Enosburg Falls if you need supplies. From there I'd continue east to Brighton SP at Island Pond VT. From there to Crawford Notch NH and then home. Not sure how late into October these parks are open.

You might need winter gear even in October to climb Mt Washington.

Last edited by BobG; 09-27-23 at 09:45 AM. Reason: map correction
Likes For BobG:
Old 09-27-23, 07:41 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
You can rent a pack, boots, and crampons from the IME store in North Conway. Leave your bike there and hitchhike to Mt. Washington. Camp at Hermit Lake and hike up the next morning. Try not to break a leg up there.
Old 09-27-23, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobG
I live near Mount Washington NH and have cycled from Montreal several times. Here is my route to Crawford Notch ...

I would always cross the border at the Frelighsburg QC/E Franklin VT station and camp at Lake Carmi SP the first night. Take the longer route through Enosburg Falls if you need supplies. From there I'd continue east to Brighton SP at Island Pond VT. From there to Crawford Notch NH and then home. Not sure how late into October these parks are open.

edit: You might need winter gear even in October to climb Mt Washington.
Stayed at Carmi and Brighton during ACA's Cycle Vermont tour back in 2010. Stayed at Brighton again (for two nights) in 2022. Nice places.

BTW...Do you remember Jerry, the former CHiP on our NT tour? Emily told me he was killed in a motorcycle accident. (The irony.) Not sure when, but likely it would have been a while ago because he'd be in his 80s now.
Old 09-27-23, 07:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Baxter and specifically Kahtahdin is in usually in winter hiling mode after 10/1. Check the website for requirements to hike. They are very specific and stringent. As well, the Maine state campogrounds are closing on 10/9, some (in the south) might be open till 10/15, again check the websites and/or call for details.
Old 09-27-23, 09:49 AM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If the second route involves some trail miles in northern VT, you should check official websites for trail damage due to flooding this summer.

BTW…It’s more helpful to post something like a RWGPS map. You can’t see much detail on a screen shot. Also, Google Maps is not always your friend. I’ve found its elevation data to be off. Way off sometimes compared to RWGPS.
Oh yeah you are totally right, there were even road washes in Maine too.

Originally Posted by Yan
You can rent a pack, boots, and crampons from the IME store in North Conway. Leave your bike there and hitchhike to Mt. Washington. Camp at Hermit Lake and hike up the next morning. Try not to break a leg up there.
That is a good idea, but do I really need crampons in october like 5 to 9th Oct?

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Baxter and specifically Kahtahdin is in usually in winter hiling mode after 10/1. Check the website for requirements to hike. They are very specific and stringent. As well, the Maine state campogrounds are closing on 10/9, some (in the south) might be open till 10/15, again check the websites and/or call for details.
​​​​​​​
Yes was looking at that, it all varies but I will be leaving (going back home by) Oct 9.
Old 09-27-23, 09:51 AM
Frenzen

This is what RWGPS showing me:

I am thinking maybe depending on how roads are looking to pass through Newport instead and follow BobGs map once reached Newport.
Old 09-27-23, 10:22 AM
indyfabz

Link to the map so we can focus in would be more helpful. If that's the trail south from Richford, I rode it last year. It was not the greatest. Often felt like riding in a rut with high growth around. The latter would likely not be an issue in October. Also, there are a zillion crossings of the highway where you have to stop and make sure the coast is clear.

Newport has a nice camping spot along the water, but I don't know how late it's open. The middle tent site of the three is the best because it provides some shelter from the wind. And there is a nice restaurant very close to the park entrance.
Old 09-27-23, 10:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I hiked three days in the White Mountains as a 13 yo long ago,l staying in the AMC huts so no tent or cooking gear. Night two was at the hut at Lake of the Clouds 1000' below the summit of Mt Washington. The "lake" was a small pond behind the hut. ("Hut" being a building as large as the "lake" was small.)

While there, I took a stroll around the pond. On the back side was a small cairn with a cross and plaque. Read the plaque. A hiker who died in a whiteout. The date? Before the hut was opened but after it was built. And as soon as it was built, the shed in back was stocked with emergency supplies for hikers just like this one. He died not knowing that everything he needed was 50' away.

Next day I got to see the concrete buildings at the top steel cabled to granite rocks. Years later; my racing days, the hill climb was stopped short of the finish for freezing 60 mph winds and whiteout. In September. That mountain demands respect.
Old 09-27-23, 11:23 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Are you joining the new Lamoille Valley Trail. I think you probably are from looking at your maps

Old 09-27-23, 04:03 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
That is a good idea, but do I really need crampons in october like 5 to 9th Oct?
Mt. Washington is one of my main climbing areas. It varies year to year. The guys at IME will be able to advise you on the trail conditions. You might not need them.

Weather forecast here:
https://www.mountwashington.org/

Mt. Washington sees multiple fatalities every year. People have frozen to death in all twelve months of the year. Someone froze to death on it in late June 2022.

In October, afternoon high temperatures on the summit will be not far above freezing. Night temperatures will be well below freezing. Dress warm and pick a fine weather day. It's not particularly challenging when it isn't windy. Bring a balaclava and ski goggles just in case. Good idea to wear a helmet too.

IME has a huge used gear section. You can buy everything there affordably. I think they also run paid group hikes. Only bad thing about the group hikes, they start and end in the parking lot all in one day. It's a lot, and you miss the nice camping.

It's a great hike. Enjoy.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/06/xi-chen-massachusetts-hiker-who-died-after-mt-washington-rescue-remembered-as-passionate-man-who-loved-living-life-to-its-fullest.html

Last edited by Yan; 09-27-23 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-28-23, 03:45 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Re-posting Yan's links ...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/0...s-fullest.html

https://www.mountwashington.org/

Our local radio station also streams a live summit conditions weather report from the Mt Washington Observatory every morning at around 7:50 AM, valley report begins at 7:45 ...

https://www.wmwv.com/listen-live/
Old 09-30-23, 05:45 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
First, I second Indyfabz's advice to check trail conditions since there are probably washouts.
For flatness and interesting riding you could leave Montreal via the Jasques Cartier Bridge and take the Velo Route 1 to Chambly, along a nice canal path, then south to the Noyan/Alburgh crossing. From there, continue down route 2 on the Champlain Islands; nice riding, with the lake on both sides with the Greens and the Adirondacks in the distance. The Champlain Bike Path takes you into Burlington. There you pick up the Cross Vermont trail, 60 miles to Onion River campground, and 30 more to Wells River on the state line. Across the bridge, in Woodsville, NH, is the beginning of the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail, 40 miles to Israel River Campground, and 40 more to Bethel Maine. Both cross state routes have websites and maps.
Bon Voyage!
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-30-23, 08:58 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
...Cross Vermont trail... Across the bridge, in Woodsville, NH, is the beginning of the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail, 40 miles to Israel River Campground, and 40 more to Bethel Maine. Both cross state routes have websites and maps.
Thanks for this. Now all that's needed is a 'Cross Maine' trail.

Things have progressed since I last rode through northern New England 50 years ago. One of my closest calls ever was on Maine Route 2, all up, down, left, right, heavy traffic and no shoulder. At least that's how I remember it. Had my front wheel slide out in sand when I was forced off the pavement by one of the countless big trucks going by inches from my ear. We finally gave up and hitched a ride in the back of a pickup truck 60 miles to Bangor. I see that there is now a pretty good shoulder in many parts, though other parts still without.
Old 10-01-23, 04:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
First, I second Indyfabz's advice to check trail conditions since there are probably washouts.
For flatness and interesting riding you could leave Montreal via the Jasques Cartier Bridge and take the Velo Route 1 to Chambly, along a nice canal path, then south to the Noyan/Alburgh crossing. From there, continue down route 2 on the Champlain Islands; nice riding, with the lake on both sides with the Greens and the Adirondacks in the distance. The Champlain Bike Path takes you into Burlington. There you pick up the Cross Vermont trail, 60 miles to Onion River campground, and 30 more to Wells River on the state line. Across the bridge, in Woodsville, NH, is the beginning of the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail, 40 miles to Israel River Campground, and 40 more to Bethel Maine. Both cross state routes have websites and maps.
Bon Voyage!
Part of the CVT was severely damaged during flooding this summer. The OP should definitely check. If it’s rideable, Stillwater State Park is a nice place to camp, but I question whether it will be open.

Just checked. Camping season ended on 9/12.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-01-23 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-03-23, 09:53 AM
Frenzen

Hello everyone, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44605312

This is the route that I would take to NH but it is supposed to rain and have snow showers during the days that I would bike (5 oct - 9 oct), and I checked that all the roads were open using this website https://newengland511.org/ (but that was 4 days ago). Unless the weather gets better, I will have to wait for another long weekend, but I will save the route potentially for spring. Unless there is no snow on x-mas and new years, which is my next long weekend.

Either way biking to Maine has similar weather with rain this weekend which is unfortunate