Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hex key skewer made by BBB siezed after using blue threadlock

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hex key skewer made by BBB siezed after using blue threadlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 08:54 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Because Loctite has become the ketchup of the bike world.
along with carbon paste and Isopropyl Alcohol

/markp
Old 10-25-23, 10:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Threads don't necessarily need adhesives.
Some threads absolutely adore adhesives, like those used in cheap steel bed frames.

I swear, if the bolts come loose again on this thing, I'm moving on to JB Weld.
Old 10-25-23, 11:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Some threads absolutely adore adhesives, like those used in cheap steel bed frames.

I swear, if the bolts come loose again on this thing, I'm moving on to JB Weld.
Not a problem for sleeping.
Old 10-26-23, 11:27 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
WHY is anyone treating threadlocker on a skewer as reasonable?

It's a ridiculous idea.
Because it's advised to check the skewer tightness before every ride.
Old 10-26-23, 12:20 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
I don’t know anyone that does this, nor anyone whose skewer has come out by itself.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-26-23, 12:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
After reading the initial post again, I see that this might be a thru-axle. Skewer's, AFAIK are typically the quick release or cam lock levers we use to use on wheels.

Others of you may have already figured that out. I didn't when I made my earlier reply.

Still, I don't see any need to put thread locker on a thru-axle if the manufacturer of the thru-axle doesn't say to use it. And I don't know of any that do.

Nor would I expect the colors of one brand of thread locker to mean the same thing as the colors of another brand of thread locker. There is no entity that tells them they have to match colors with each other.
Old 10-26-23, 05:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Skewer tightness is a measure of then tension on the skewer rod, not the difficulty of turning the thread. They are different concepts.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-26-23, 10:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I don’t know anyone that does this, nor anyone whose skewer has come out by itself.
I do it -- in a somewhat related way -- by quickly checking hub adjustment with a wiggle of a raised wheel. Probably not before every ride, but often enough.
Old 10-26-23, 11:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Skewer tightness is a measure of then tension on the skewer rod, not the difficulty of turning the thread. They are different concepts.
Agreed. Better to check by tucking on the QR skewer lever to see if it could be undone too easily.
Old 10-27-23, 12:12 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
20 plus years ago Grant Peterson had an arcticle in a Rivendell Reader about using bee's wax as a threadlocker.
I purchased a little dixie cup of the stuff from Rivendell, I even still have some left.
I use it on stuff like rack bolts then tend to vibrate loose.
In over 20 years of use I've never had a bolt or nut come loose.
It also protects against corrosion.
2 thumbs up.
Old 10-27-23, 01:08 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Iride01
After reading the initial post again, I see that this might be a thru-axle. Skewer's, AFAIK are typically the quick release or cam lock levers we use to use on wheels.

Others of you may have already figured that out. I didn't when I made my earlier reply.

Still, I don't see any need to put thread locker on a thru-axle if the manufacturer of the thru-axle doesn't say to use it. And I don't know of any that do.

Nor would I expect the colors of one brand of thread locker to mean the same thing as the colors of another brand of thread locker. There is no entity that tells them they have to match colors with each other.
Yeah that last point is important. I guess manufacturers might follow loctite to avoid upsetting customers but it’s a big assumption.

I knew it was a TA but called it a skewer through idiocy. Still don’t know anyone that checks every ride but actually I just remembered I do know of one that worked loose during a ride. Oops.

Last edited by choddo; 10-27-23 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 01:32 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Because Loctite has become the ketchup of the bike world.
so don't put loctite on my hot dogs... got it.
but is it any good on Fries?

Old 10-27-23, 03:02 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
A possibility is that the no-name TL is blue but may not be the same strength as the blue from big companies that make quality products and who knows what the chemical composition is?? Note that TL's usually have an expiration date after opening which can be found on the websites from most companies so large quantities may be false economy if not used up in time.
Spot on CC.

Threadlocker, like grease, like anti-seize, like oil has its place. Don’t dismiss it, it is a bloody marvel for the right place. In my opinion the Swiss Army knife of TL is Loctite 243. That is the one you want. Tolerant to light oil coverage. I use it at work, but one day work decided to try a cheaper one, well what a difference. I use it for some grub screws and the cheap version is definitely (or should that be defiantly) stronger, and takes a little warming to start moving. It also flows a little more gloopy. Get the smallest bottle unless you are working on a production line! It can go off. Also look up on line about “fake” bottles, even with close wording, ie two “T’s” in the word Loctite, I have seen many on that on-line auction site advertised. Loctite have patented a bottle design to try and stop fake bottles. Look it up on;

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/au/...%20to%20verify
Likes For awac:
Old 10-27-23, 06:45 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
Threadlocker, like grease, like anti-seize, like oil has its place. Don’t dismiss it, it is a bloody marvel for the right place. In my opinion the Swiss Army knife of TL is Loctite 243. That is the one you want. Tolerant to light oil coverage. I use it at work, but one day work decided to try a cheaper one, well what a difference. I use it for some grub screws and the cheap version is definitely (or should that be defiantly) stronger, and takes a little warming to start moving. It also flows a little more gloopy. Get the smallest bottle unless you are working on a production line! It can go off.
I would also suggest looking at the stick versions of the Henkel threadlockers. They are often easier to apply than the liquid versions. On the pneumatic but also hydraulic/plumbing side their thread sealant 545 is a marvel.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 10-27-23, 08:13 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Pretty sure OP is dealing with a hexkey skewer, not some variation of a QR skewer. Hex key, torx key, security hex or torx key, or proprietary key, etc. I have used those as a semi-security device, at least compared to a QR skewer. Thief can't steal my wheel unless they have a hex key, etc with them. (But most keys are available at any hardware supply source. Never once considered using threadlocker with those skewers and never had one come loose. And didn't tighten them excessively. (I used them on front wheels, mostly.)
https://www.amazon.com/wileoone-Lock...248&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by JanMM; 10-27-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 08:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Pretty sure OP is dealing with a hexkey skewer, not some variation of a QR skewer. Hex key, torx key, security hex or torx key, or proprietary key, etc.
yes I agree here. Ok, he got it stuck on there with some kind of "sealant" and then the pot metal screw rounded out thanks for the worn out hex key

brings to mind the concept of "tolerance stackinig".

/markp
Old 10-27-23, 11:30 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by mpetry912
yes I agree here. Ok, he got it stuck on there with some kind of "sealant" and then the pot metal screw rounded out thanks for the worn out hex key

brings to mind the concept of "tolerance stackinig".

/markp
The hex key wasn't rounded. It was just a hex bit from a Cyclo tools torque wrench set.
It was just a combination of shallow bolt head and requirement for high torque. It was impossible to turn the bolt without loud cracking noise.
Old 10-27-23, 11:32 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by JanMM
Pretty sure OP is dealing with a hexkey skewer, not some variation of a QR skewer. Hex key, torx key, security hex or torx key, or proprietary key, etc. I have used those as a semi-security device, at least compared to a QR skewer. Thief can't steal my wheel unless they have a hex key, etc with them. (But most keys are available at any hardware supply source. Never once considered using threadlocker with those skewers and never had one come loose. And didn't tighten them excessively. (I used them on front wheels, mostly.)
https://www.amazon.com/wileoone-Lock...248&th=1&psc=1
I tightened them to 7.5 Nm. 8.5 Nm was a rated maximum torque.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-27-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 11:43 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by choddo
Yeah that last point is important. I guess manufacturers might follow loctite to avoid upsetting customers but it’s a big assumption.

I knew it was a TA but called it a skewer through idiocy. Still don’t know anyone that checks every ride but actually I just remembered I do know of one that worked loose during a ride. Oops.
It's wasn't a trough axle. Currently avoiding them due to reports of frequent rounding out of bolts, siezed threads or worn threads in dropouts. At least when using trough axle hammering in hex key deeper as red on mtbrforum won't damage the bearings since all of the shock load is goin trough the axle in to the dropouts only.
Old 10-27-23, 11:45 AM
Kontact 

The hex key wasn't rounded. It was just a hex bit from a Cyclo tools torque wrench set.
It was just a combination of shallow bolt head and requirement for high torque. It was impossible to turn the bolt without loud cracking noise.
​​​​​​When you loctite a high torque bolt you removal torque is going to be much, much higher. That's why you use grease - so you can get to proper torque without interference and you can loosen the bolt without over torquing the hardware.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-27-23, 01:45 PM
choddo

It's wasn't a trough axle. Currently avoiding them due to reports of frequent rounding out of bolts, siezed threads or worn threads in dropouts. At least when using trough axle hammering in hex key deeper as red on mtbrforum won't damage the bearings since all of the shock load is goin trough the axle in to the dropouts only.
Oh. Never seen a hex keyed bolt for a skewer hence my assumption. I don’t know what you’re reading but I’d stay away from those fearmongers thru-axles are great and in daily use on millions of disk brake bikes.
Old 10-27-23, 03:25 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I would also suggest looking at the stick versions of the Henkel threadlockers. They are often easier to apply than the liquid versions. On the pneumatic but also hydraulic/plumbing side their thread sealant 545 is a marvel.
I have used that in the past on plant hydraulics and 542, I agree with you.

I always found the liquid easier to use on small screws and the stick on bigger threads, but while upside down no contest! Lol.
Likes For awac:
Old 10-27-23, 03:38 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
If it isn't a thru axel, I'm curious enough now I would like to see pictures.

Old 10-27-23, 08:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
... Also look up on line about “fake” bottles, even with close wording, ie two “T’s” in the word Loctite, I have seen many on that on-line auction site advertised. Loctite have patented a bottle design to try and stop fake bottles.
1. The letter t does appear twice in Loctite; what am I missing?
2. I highly doubt a design patent on the bottle is going to stop a counterfeiter selling fake Loctite. The counterfeiter can easily copy the bottle as well.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-27-23, 11:21 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
If it isn't a thru axel, I'm curious enough now I would like to see pictures.
This is one common style:

Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.