Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many BF posters have cracked a bike frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How many BF posters have cracked a bike frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-23, 11:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have neither the strength nor the crash probability to break a frame. Yes crash could happen, but I avoid them at all costs. So I've never damaged a bike frame in over 60 years of riding.
None of the frames I broke were crashed. The first one did suffer a hard landing but the other 3 had no abuse. Most of the people I know who have cracked frames did not crash those frames.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-24-23, 10:19 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
I have a 72 Raleigh Sports (3 speed). I don't ride it all that much (hard to do hills on a 3 speed) and the frame is fine. I had a 97 or 98 Bianchi Volpe. In 2011 or 2012 I was riding it, and making a right turn, I heard a "sproing" and then the handling became squirrelly. I thought I had broken a spoke. With only a half mile to get home, I kept going. Closer inspection showed the right chain stay had broken just in front of the dropout. So I got a 2012 Trek 520. I was run off the road, hit a curb straight on and did a face plant. The only damage was to the fork which was bent so the front wheel overlapped the down tube. A new fork fixed that one and I still have it. (It took some work by a plastic surgeon to fix my nose.) I also bought another 520 (in 2020), kind of as a reward for surviving the crash. While it was still under warranty, the little piece of the seat tube that's above the top tube and has the clamp for the seat post broke completely off (so you could just lift the seat off the bike). The bike had never been crashed or abused in any way. Since it was still under warranty, Trek replaced the frame and the bike shop where I bought it transferred all the components.
Old 11-24-23, 10:25 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
I have neither the strength nor the crash probability to break a frame. Yes crash could happen, but I avoid them at all costs. So I've never damaged a bike frame in over 60 years of riding.
Mine broke just riding along. I've never been a particularly strong rider, and had not crashed the bike. I weighed about 175 lbs at the time; my lowest adult weight. The bike frame was Columbus SL steel (see above).

Some frames have defects. They warrantied it (replaced it with an SLX), so I guess that means it was one of them.
Old 11-24-23, 10:26 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Took a car to crack my frame.... and the bike frame too.

Pretty sure neither is designed for that kind of stress.

Never broke on the trails tho.
(cursed statement if I ever saw one)
Old 11-24-23, 10:28 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Does the steer tube count? I guess that’s not technically part of the frame. Last year I hit a bump and cracked the aluminum steer tube on my vintage Vitus.

Dan
Old 11-24-23, 11:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Let's see:

Lambert fork - yup, that fork.

Peugeot UO-8 - chainstay broke behind the bridge at mile 22,000 and after dozens of crashes. Bike was bent and re-bent many times and just tired out. (Rode it home.)

Fuji Pro - BB shell at the seatstay. A known defect in that run of bikes. Fuji gave me a hand built replacement! (In a race. Rode it to the finish.)

Cheap hi-ten Sekine - fork blade midway, just above the LowRider U-bolt clamp. No clue why. I rode it home.

TiCycles ti fix gear (my avatar photo) - fork blades (both) cracked at the crown. (A combination of decisions adding up to a metallurgy no-no. A minimal, very light fork crown with no scalloping - my call. Nickle plating a Columbus SL fork and not heat treating it after. (Dave Levy happened on the SL and used it without a cost upgrade. I was thinking 531 but hardly complained! Plater knew you HAD to heat treat nickle plated hi-strength steels and said nothing. It would have been an additional $60 which I would have coughed up with no hesitation. Cracks showed up at 8000 miles. I had an angel that day.)

Sport Reynolds 501 Peugeot - had been hit hard by a car. Week 3 I saw cracks in both chainstays behind the bridge. Did a CF wrap that stiffened the BB beyond anything Peugeot ever made. Retired the bike at 8000 miles because I don't know what other damage it might have.
Old 11-24-23, 11:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Thanks all. In reading here, it seems that the unfortunate end of a frame (and other components) is a lot more common than I thought!

I don't feel so bad now. On the bright side, I now have room in my stable for fancy new rides

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-24-23, 12:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think you win.
If for no other reason than that he remembers each one.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-24-23, 06:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts

I did bend the front wheel of my first bike when I let my older brother ride it to school when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade with me on the front handlebars (remember that?) My foot went into the wheel and it got bent. My dad, as punishment (we weren't supposed to do that), made me ride the bike with the bent wheel for as long as I remember.

I think I might have broken a trike when I was 5. I remember my dad taking it with us to my grandparents' house one weekend and my grandpa brazing something to fix it. I put out a lot of wattage on that trike! Or, more likely, playing "bumper tag" with my brother on his trike.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Crashes aren’t really a cause of frame breakage. I do have the crash probability as I crash with frightening regularity. I even crashed a bicycle into the side of a car long ago. That didn’t break the frame…bent the hell out of it but it didn’t break. I wouldn’t expect any bike to not be bent by running it into the side of a car but I really doubt that any frame would actually break during such an event.
None of the frames I broke were crashed. The first one did suffer a hard landing but the other 3 had no abuse. Most of the people I know who have cracked frames did not crash those frames.
I didn't intend to imply that crashing caused most frame breaks or any breaks being discussed. I was saying that I have nowhere near the strength to break a frame, and although it is unlikely in my case to crash because I'm old and cautious/chicken, that would be the only possible way I could break a frame. I guess one could break one under normal use, but I would have to assume it was a defect, not my strength
Old 11-24-23, 06:51 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
1974 Raleigh Grand Sports, 531 double butted main tubes. Down tube fatigue crack originating in the brazed joint between the down tube and head tube. There was an area of the interface between the lug and tubes which was not filled fully with braze metal, it looked like the crack originated there. Cracked in 1990 after quite a few miles; safe, slow failure mode with creaking sound and slow growing crack long before it got near wanting to fail fully.
Old 11-24-23, 06:54 PM
big john

I guess one could break one under normal use, but I would have to assume it was a defect, not my strength
You're not going to break them with that attitude. Time to be more positive, be a "can do" type of rider.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-25-23, 03:47 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I had an aluminum Trek 7.3FX in daily commuter service for about 12 years that developed a crack in the seat tube near the bottom bracket. The way I found it was my rear rim brake was rubbing but only when I was applying higher power. I spent a couple of sessions straightening the rim but the rub-on-power wouldn’t go away. Careful inspection of the frame revealed the crack.
Old 11-25-23, 06:20 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have a Mercier Formule in 971 that has cracked at the top/seat tube junction. I still have it and cannot bring myself to part with it. The only other bike that has cracked was a chopper in the late 70's I used to take over jumps. Not bad considering I have had 50+ bikes in 45 years of riding.
Old 11-25-23, 06:29 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
1984 Bottecchia, down tube below lug. They were known to fail because of poor chroming methods. Bike Friday “dropout” at the seatstay cluster. So manufacturers and design defects. When I had my shop I saw some heinous failures mostly from abuse.
Old 11-25-23, 08:04 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
1979 Schwinn Super LeTour - seat tube cracked about 1984. This was a hi ten steel frame that had taken me on self supported Atlanta to New Hampshire to Milwaukee trip with spouse in 1981. Schwinn gave me a double butted cro mo frame.
2007 RANS titanium V3 long wheelbase recumbent. I had ridden it since 2016 when I bought the the frame from a fellow who had got it from RANS as NOS not long before. In 2020 noticed both ‘seat stays’ cracked near where they connected to main tube. Not fixable. The frame became wall art.
Old 11-25-23, 08:20 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
If for no other reason than that he remembers each one.
Pretty sure that I may have forgotten a couple.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-25-23, 08:39 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
My first Miyata 1000 (1987 I think?) had to be retired due to a cracked chainstay. It was a great bike and had served me well, but I think my decision to ride it through the winter was the cause of its doom.
It has since been replaced by a 1985 model, and my winter bike is now aluminium. Live and learn I guess.
Old 11-25-23, 08:39 AM
big john

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
. Not bad considering I have had 50+ bikes in 45 years of riding.
You're spreading the load to multiple bikes.
Old 11-25-23, 09:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I've never broken a frame myself, but I've fixed a few that others have broken.
Old 11-25-23, 10:21 AM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Trek Domane. Not a crash. Operator error. I failed to properly seat it on a turbo. I mounted up, clipped in, and put power down. Right chain stay snapped just before the dropout. As I toppled over it also snapped the left chain stay. It was a negative experience.

Mike
Old 11-25-23, 10:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
Trek Domane. Not a crash. Operator error. I failed to properly seat it on a turbo. I mounted up, clipped in, and put power down. Right chain stay snapped just before the dropout. As I toppled over it also snapped the left chain stay. It was a negative experience.

Mike
Did exactly the same thing to a carbon frame bike, the first time I used my new smart trainer. Right seat stay cracked just above the dropout. The bike still works on the trainer, but it's unusable on the road.
Old 11-25-23, 12:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Which goes to show that steel is real, but aluminum is a close second!

Old 11-26-23, 05:15 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
You're spreading the load to multiple bikes.
HAHA I need to these days !
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 11-26-23, 06:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts

Mike
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Did exactly the same thing to a carbon frame bike, the first time I used my new smart trainer. Right seat stay cracked just above the dropout. The bike still works on the trainer, but it's unusable on the road.
Were these wheel-on trainers? If not I’m just wondering how you could do this on a direct drive trainer.
Old 11-26-23, 08:02 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts

Mike
Originally Posted by Trakhak

that is why I only ride rollers indoors...no chance of doing any damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.