Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Alexrims Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 11:22 AM
pjoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Alexrims Question

I have an eight-year-old specialized hard rock. It has an Alexrim and it’s marked HRD double wall 629 x 17. I don’t see any other markings on the rim. There’s a maxis tire that says tubeless ready.

How do I know if the rim is tubeless ready?

There’s nothing on Alexrims website and specialized is completely unhelpful organization.
Old 12-04-23, 11:37 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Not sure about that specific rim but it’s probably safe to assume the stock rims on an 8 year old Hard Rock are not tubeless ready.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 12-04-23, 11:55 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Probably not, But you can put a tubeless tire on a regular rim if you use a tube.
Old 12-04-23, 12:03 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by pjoc
I have an eight-year-old specialized hard rock. It has an Alexrim and it’s marked HRD double wall 629 x 17
629 x17 or 622 x 17? This is why we cannot yet get humans to Mars.
Old 12-04-23, 04:37 PM
pjoc

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
629 x17 or 622 x 17? This is why we cannot yet get humans to Mars.
I don’t want to go to Mars. I just wanted help with a bicycle rim issue. Thanks for your support.
Old 12-04-23, 07:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
What size is the tire?
Old 12-04-23, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I don’t want to go to Mars. I just wanted help with a bicycle rim issue. Thanks for your support.
I think what they had written went far over your head. You had listed the ISO diameter as 629 which is not a size...630 would be the ISO diameter for old 27" rims and tires and for 700c/29er stuff it would be 622.

The ISO is the most useful number in all of this because the sizing can be quite variable as if I said 26" that could refer to potentially 4-6+ different ISOs whereas if I list the correct ISO it will only refer to that one size and make it easier.

They were making a joke on the sizing issue not saying you wanted to go to mars but because we cannot get simple numbers and math correct we cannot go to Mars. However back to your question more than likely the 8 year old bike at the lower end to bottom of their mountain style range is NOT going to be tubeless ready. These days you can get a bit luckier in that but back than it was unlikely those bikes would have them however with the correct tubeless tape and tire you can sometimes get older rims to seal but in the end I wouldn't put a ton of money towards the bike especially if the tourney equipped version just ride it till you can get the bike you want and convert that to tubeless. Tubeless is fine it is not a bad thing but spending a lot of money for the bike is not really a great financial decision. I generally would keep a bike like that running safely as cheaply as possible till I could buy the bike that better suits my needs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-04-23, 07:52 PM
pjoc

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think you’re right. Just thought I’d check. Was tubeless even a thing back then?
Old 12-04-23, 07:53 PM
pjoc

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks! He nailed it. I missed typed. It is 622.
Likes For pjoc:
Old 12-04-23, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I think you’re right. Just thought I’d check. Was tubeless even a thing back then?
Tubeless was a thing but it was less common and still is less common on the lower end bikes but will probably spread at some point. However I ride with tubes and don't really mind. I don't find tubeless to be that important. For a mountain bike I want to buy one with a good air suspension at the front and then a good drivetrain and brakes but usually they will all come with the better air suspension.