Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Are the best days of fixie/SS behind us?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Are the best days of fixie/SS behind us?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 02:22 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I am still riding my SS stuff, but the FG stuff is collecting dust. I didn't mind the uphill grinding as much as the exhausting downhills.......way worse!

The FG is is fun on a flat bike path, but once you get out into the wild, the FG becomes a chore sometimes. Gearing down a SS, so that steep hills are more chill, and just having fun working on some RPM drills on the flats (can't really go fast) is a nice break on an "off" day like today. I am going to do a pretty gonzo ride in 2 days, so chilling on a mellow SS just might be the ticket for today's ride.
A SS has it's place, but unless you are in a Velodrome, a FG is just a toy. That's how I look at it, anyway.
Old 01-25-24, 02:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
oh yeah, I forgot about the downhill! FG is way worse going downhill. I can't hang.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-31-24, 12:09 AM
BT7274

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Except this hi-ten steel bikes have been around for a long time, back when fixed gear bicycles were way more popular in the mainstream there were like 10 different online companies at least offering cheap "customizable" hunks of metal that looked like a bicycle. You also had a lot of cheap stuff elsewhere that maybe wasn't the "customizable" stuff but was made of cheap pipes and even cheaper parts.

Agreed on Surly but I have to imagine sales were down a bit especially now after people bought everything out during the early stages of the endemic but that is the case across the board.

Speaking of clean lines though (not new but not that old):
https://www.rencycles.com/yarak

The Hi-Ten Retrospec bikes with the cheapo "Deep V" dayglo rims started cropping up at the tail-end of the fixie craze. Right up until then, most fixed gears were 4130 chromoly or aluminum at worst. Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Jamis, etc. they all had their fixed- kind of wish I grabbed a Jamis Satellite back then, I remember them being 631 Reynolds.
I remember going to the Raleigh page a couple of years ago, to see if they still had their Rush-Hour. It went from chromoly to Hi-Tensile steel.
Old 01-31-24, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by BT7274
The Hi-Ten Retrospec bikes with the cheapo "Deep V" dayglo rims started cropping up at the tail-end of the fixie craze. Right up until then, most fixed gears were 4130 chromoly or aluminum at worst. Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Jamis, etc. they all had their fixed- kind of wish I grabbed a Jamis Satellite back then, I remember them being 631 Reynolds.
I remember going to the Raleigh page a couple of years ago, to see if they still had their Rush-Hour. It went from chromoly to Hi-Tensile steel.
No there was plenty of hi-ten stuff back when fixed gears were most popular. Certainly during brokie mania there were plenty of slightly nicer to really nice options but hi-ten was still very much a thing. Bigshot, Kent Thruster, Fuji Declaration and certainly others existed but I cannot recall all the names but tons of online stuff like Bigshot.

I wanted a Satellite as well still would consider one at the right price but then again now I want something fully custom in titanium so...
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-31-24, 11:31 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Trends come and go, perhaps the next one has more umph, or not?
Old 02-01-24, 01:11 AM
BT7274

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No there was plenty of hi-ten stuff back when fixed gears were most popular. Certainly during brokie mania there were plenty of slightly nicer to really nice options but hi-ten was still very much a thing. Bigshot, Kent Thruster, Fuji Declaration and certainly others existed but I cannot recall all the names but tons of online stuff like Bigshot.

I wanted a Satellite as well still would consider one at the right price but then again now I want something fully custom in titanium so...
I remember the progression that I saw were the conversion craze because there wasn't much out there, aside from Surly, Bianchi, and IRO. Then things started stepping up with the EAI Bareknuckles, the Super Pistas, the Merciers, with the big brands coming out with there fxied gears, and I guess it started peaking with the MASH Frames, That Kent Ronald McDonald fixie came in, I don't know, 2008? But by then, there were plenty of Pakes and Leaders as a better alternative. Now the Carbo-Steels rule the landscape.
The fact that this thread updates every 3 days should be be proof that yes, the best days of fixie/SS are behind us. Unless there's some Tik-Tok trend of kids riding their dad's ancient bikes that have no disc brakes, wifi shifting, or motors.
Old 02-01-24, 04:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by BT7274
I remember the progression that I saw were the conversion craze because there wasn't much out there, aside from Surly, Bianchi, and IRO. Then things started stepping up with the EAI Bareknuckles, the Super Pistas, the Merciers, with the big brands coming out with there fxied gears, and I guess it started peaking with the MASH Frames, That Kent Ronald McDonald fixie came in, I don't know, 2008? But by then, there were plenty of Pakes and Leaders as a better alternative. Now the Carbo-Steels rule the landscape.
The fact that this thread updates every 3 days should be be proof that yes, the best days of fixie/SS are behind us. Unless there's some Tik-Tok trend of kids riding their dad's ancient bikes that have no disc brakes, wifi shifting, or motors.
Yes the higher end was there and has been but like I said the low end has been around for the same times. Of course yes many bikes were better than the low end that is the case with most bikes.
Old 02-06-24, 07:21 AM
ron521

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Those who are interested in Wabi cycles might find some of the videos by Zach Gallardo interesting. He's a fixie rider whose channel is sponsored by Wabi, and he has some good videos on building up several of their bikes, as well as a factory tour. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+gallardo+wabi
Old 03-01-24, 12:45 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I still see them around, but I live in SF, CA.. home of MASH

I even see some young folk on em here and there.

Personally, my fixed gear is my errand bike/rain bike/town chill bike. I keep it mostly cause I still like the feeling of riding fixed but no longer race on a track. Also I like being able to track stand at lights, purely because I think it looks cool. I suck and can't do it on a bike with a freehub
Old 03-01-24, 03:39 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Fixies were all the rage years ago with the younger crowd. Now I see them riding the big ripper style bikes. BMX with 29ers
Likes For cweb99:
Old 03-02-24, 09:17 PM
BT7274

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
Fixies were all the rage years ago with the younger crowd. Now I see them riding the big ripper style bikes. BMX with 29ers
In this respect, the kids are keeping it alive.
Old 03-09-24, 08:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I feel like there was already chatter about fixed-gears being "played out" when I built mine 12 or so years ago. So that's 12 years of not giving a **** whether it was popular or trendy or whatever. As long as I can keep getting cogs and 1/8" chains, I'll be happy.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-12-24, 10:20 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Damn lol, I thought 12 years ago was near the height!

The nice thing is that there will always be a non-zero demand of track parts/bikes because it is an olympic sport.

I don't think I'll ever fully drop riding fixed gears. I love the simplicity and reliability of them. In a world of electronic everything, it's nice to just disconnect on a bike
Likes For Jaytron:
Old 03-24-24, 01:44 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Wabi amid the ruins

the hipsters are checking out (have already) and the Zoomers & Email have decimated the messengers > not to worry tho cause the coming earthquakes and civil war and pandemics and urban gridlock and electric car derangement and the lack of aspirated engine mechanics will revive interest in the bikes that rarely fail
Old 04-11-24, 07:27 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I am actually about to get my flabby 60-odd-year-old self back into shape over the coming year, and a large part of that involves riding fixed-gears. Plural. Two of them are battered but high-quality road frames from the early 70s, and the third was a custom-built Mercian that, alas, I made some poor choices while specifying what I wanted. Live and learn.

Are the kool kids riding them? No. And who cares? It's kinda like around here suddenly they're hosting the Greenwood Gravel Grinder for all those folks who've splurged on 1xwhatever drive trains and disc brakes to ride the same fire roads my best buddy and I rode 20 years ago on fixed-gears running 28-32 mm tires.

If you are a fixed-gear lifer, - and I confess I fit into that category - then your model ISN'T the early 21st Century fixie craze - it's the British club cyclist mode, wherein you just ride your bike, period, and focus on strength - and very much on skills and technique - to become a better rider. All of those social rides, where maybe you DO go all Rough Stuff Fellowship and carry the bike some, or long rides where you stop somewhere and have tea and socialize before mounting up to ride on to the destination, or even carry a light load and crash at a B&B or something, or maybe a very Spartan encampment without all the gear people think they need.

Fixed will endure, though some bits we like may become unobtanium - 17/19T Surly Dingle fixed-cogs, anyone? - because in the end there will always be a core group of those who prefer them and will ride them no matter what the trends are.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 04-23-24, 09:40 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
the hipsters are checking out (have already) and the Zoomers & Email have decimated the messengers > not to worry tho cause the coming earthquakes and civil war and pandemics and urban gridlock and electric car derangement and the lack of aspirated engine mechanics will revive interest in the bikes that rarely fail
whoa