Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vertical Bike Storage

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vertical Bike Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 11:47 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Vertical Bike Storage

Guess it's time to upgrade my storage.
I've been using a cheap gravity stand that leans on the wall and it's good for 2 bikes and kind of... meh.
My goal is to store 6 bikes (one of which is a fat bike) vertically hanging by the front wheel and am looking for suggestions.
Right now I'm considering a simple wide hook from a hardware store for each bike into a stud.

Is there a better solution?

(didn't find a recent vertical storage thread)
Old 12-17-23, 02:01 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I use this type:

It works fine. Unlike hooks you don't have to drill anything and you can move the stand around as needed.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-17-23, 07:31 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Hang by the rear wheel. Getting the front into a hook is a righteous PITA and getting it out even worse
JMO of course
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 12-17-23, 07:31 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I use Gladiator GearTrack panels and hooks. It’s sold at Lowe’s. Inexpensive and has a finished look.
Old 12-17-23, 07:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Right now I'm considering a simple wide hook from a hardware store for each bike into a stud.)
Look no further. You can spend much more money and go to much more trouble for inferior solutions.
Old 12-17-23, 07:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Hang by the rear wheel. Getting the front into a hook is a righteous PITA and getting it out even worse
JMO of course
I don't find it any sort of challenge to hook my front wheels, but why would it be any easier to hook up a rear wheel?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-17-23, 08:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't find it any sort of challenge to hook my front wheels, but why would it be any easier to hook up a rear wheel?
I was thinking the same. It is a routine thing to stand a bike on the rear wheel to wheel it around the shop or anywhere in tight quarters. Quite quick and easy. From there it is an easy lift. I have a hard time picturing how you would easily lift the rear wheel to a hook.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-17-23, 08:02 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts

Something like this, spaced approx 30cm apart, alternate the bikes up and down, works great.
Old 12-17-23, 08:14 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Old 12-17-23, 08:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
^^ Very nice set up. I store my bikes in a conventional bike rack in my shop where my machines are . I keep one or two bikes at my house . Usually one of them is on the stand for maintenance. Vertical storage makes more sense for residential storage .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-17-23, 08:28 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I was thinking the same. It is a routine thing to stand a bike on the rear wheel to wheel it around the shop or anywhere in tight quarters. Quite quick and easy. From there it is an easy lift. I have a hard time picturing how you would easily lift the rear wheel to a hook.
I have my garage hooks set at a height that doesn't require lifting the bike off the ground. Just pop it up on the back wheel and roll it against the wall, hooking up on the front wheel. I have hooks set at a couple of different heights for smaller and larger bikes. Simple and effective.
Old 12-17-23, 08:32 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Because the front wheel flops around, so you have to control it and line it up while you're hanging it up. With the rear wheel you can grab the frame literally anywhere and just lift it up and onto the hook, without worrying about the front wheel. If the bike is light enough you can do it with one hand.

Try it both ways. You'll see.
Old 12-17-23, 08:42 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Because the front wheel flops around...
Not if you're holding the bars while navigating the front wheel onto the hook.
I suppose if the hook is high enough this would be a problem though.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-17-23, 08:47 AM
PeteHski

Because the front wheel flops around, so you have to control it and line it up while you're hanging it up. With the rear wheel you can grab the frame literally anywhere and just lift it up and onto the hook, without worrying about the front wheel. If the bike is light enough you can do it with one hand.

Try it both ways. You'll see.
I just pop bikes up on the back wheel while holding the bars. I can see what you mean if you have to actually lift the bike up off the ground, but I don't have to do that with my wall hooks. The back wheel stays on the ground.
Old 12-17-23, 08:48 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts

I have so much room now, I need more bikes.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-17-23, 08:51 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I hang a couple of rim brake bikes by the wheels from the garage ceiling, but beware if you don’t know, hydro disc brakes don’t always react well to being upside down.
Old 12-17-23, 09:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I just pop bikes up on the back wheel while holding the bars. I can see what you mean if you have to actually lift the bike up off the ground, but I don't have to do that with my wall hooks. The back wheel stays on the ground.
I have had the same situation. Also I have had one where the hook was on a wall and higher up over something that the bike had to be lifted over. I find it easier to roll the back wheel over the bench, generator, machine, or whatever obstruction. Also I am likely to have to roll the bike down a narrow obstructed aisle to get to the wall it hange on and rolling it vertically makes sense.
Old 12-17-23, 11:26 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by sweeks
Not if you're holding the bars while navigating the front wheel onto the hook.
I suppose if the hook is high enough this would be a problem though.
Obviously. The point is that if you hang it by the rear wheel, you don't have to do that. But whatever works for you is what you should do.
Old 12-17-23, 11:27 AM
Jeff Neese

Yes, my comment was for situations where you have to lift it off the ground. Your setup looks easy to use. How do you accomodate different types of bikes, with different wheelbases? I'd need to accomodate 700c and 26" wheels, and even within those groups there's a variety of lengths. Seems like a setup with adjustable hook height would be nice.
Old 12-17-23, 12:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I stand the bike on the rear wheel, wheel it into position, and put my knee into the back of the seat for leverage. Easy to use a tilt of the foot to lift the bike while holding the bars ... bike goes right onto the hook. Lifting a heavier bike by the rear wheel has not proved to be as easy---I tried both ways. Also, harder to find a secure grip on an inverted bike--a hand can slide on the top tube pretty easily.

All my bikes hang clear of the floor ... because I have bikes of different lengths (plus my wife's bike) I would have to adjust each hook to each bike ... and I like to switch the hanging order so the bikes I am riding more are nearer to the end. Also, no studs---straight cinder-block wall. I decided to build an overhead shelf/rack combination. It was great when I built ti, but now there is so much stuff in the garage it takes a wrestling match with an octopus to extract a bike.

What I wanted was sort of what @ridelikeaturtle has. What I got looks like three chimps on speed got into the power tools. Oh, well.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-17-23, 01:18 PM
PeteHski

Yes, my comment was for situations where you have to lift it off the ground. Your setup looks easy to use. How do you accomodate different types of bikes, with different wheelbases? I'd need to accomodate 700c and 26" wheels, and even within those groups there's a variety of lengths. Seems like a setup with adjustable hook height would be nice.
I simply have a few hooks set at different heights but they are adjustable on a long slot. I find that they don't have to be set super accurate for different frame sizes. There's quite a lot of leeway in where the front wheel is actually hooked. We have bikes ranging from XS to L.
Old 12-17-23, 01:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Guess it's time to upgrade my storage.
I've been using a cheap gravity stand that leans on the wall and it's good for 2 bikes and kind of... meh.
My goal is to store 6 bikes (one of which is a fat bike) vertically hanging by the front wheel and am looking for suggestions.
Right now I'm considering a simple wide hook from a hardware store for each bike into a stud.

Is there a better solution?

(didn't find a recent vertical storage thread)
This Amazon.com: Leonardo Bike Rack Wall Mount with Tire Tray by Delta Cycle – Elegant Vertical Hanger Hook Design Provides Easy Bicycle Storage Access – Hassle-Free Installation – Vertical Mount Holds Up to 40 lbs : Home & Kitchen

... works better than something like this: Project Source 1-Bike Horizontal Bike Hook in the Bike Racks & Storage department at Lowes.com
Old 12-17-23, 03:48 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Look no further. You can spend much more money and go to much more trouble for inferior solutions.
this. just space the hooks 16" apart and alternate front and back wheel in the hook, head to foot so to speak

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-17-23, 04:59 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
In the shop we hung them by the front wheel. Conveniently, bikes come with these built-in hand holds that allow for easier lifting.

Last edited by smd4; 12-17-23 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-17-23, 05:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I hang two short wheelbase recumbent bikes on a wall with supports from Amazon - very similar to what I’ve seen in home improvement stores. Rear wheels not far above the floor, which makes it much easier to hang up compared to ceiling mounted hooks.
https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Verti...8&sr=1-16&th=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.