Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

loud-ish hub has become quiet ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 01:16 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Not sure what is going on.. my rear hub used to have a fairly loud buzz but it has disappeared. I don't think it has affected the function but i'm wondering if something need an adjustment.
Old 10-14-13, 01:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Not sure what is going on.. my rear hub used to have a fairly loud buzz but it has disappeared. I don't think it has affected the function but i'm wondering if something need an adjustment.
Gee, it was so loud I could recognize it all the way here via internet......

How about some specifics?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-14-13, 01:23 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Isn't he just referring to "ratchet racket"? It might be time to clean out the accumulation grime from the hub!

If it works, that's all that matters, I would think...
Old 10-14-13, 01:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Isn't he just referring to "ratchet racket"? It might be time to clean out the accumulation grime from the hub! If it works, that's all that matters...
I have no idea. Don't even know if it's an IGH, freewheel, or freehub. Then it might be related to the freehub ratchet systems design.

Without specifics, it's a non-starter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-14-13, 01:29 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, please - freewheel, cassette, internal gear, any "problems" other than it's quiet?. Most people would be grateful for your issue. If you lubricated the freewheel/cassette recently that will tend to quiet the pawls, as will aging/thickening of the oil.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 10-17-13 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 01:30 PM
Jakedatc

not sure what else there is to say.

used to sound like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_HJ88svi8

now there is almost no noise. just weird that they went from being fairly loud to almost dead silent. i actually like a bit of noise.. comes in handy in some spots..

BH hubs, sram 1070 cassette, considerably new wheels so aging isn't a factor. 1800mi on them since May.

Last edited by Jakedatc; 10-14-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 01:53 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

This link may help
Old 10-16-13, 06:04 PM
Jakedatc

Ok i'm back with some videos from before and after.

first video from before.. skip to the last few seconds to hear the wheel spin out. (RD was shifting crappy due to a bent hanger)
https://youtu.be/GCOh35vcIGY?t=34s

2nd video just now.. https://youtu.be/2fz802Mjr3I
Old 10-16-13, 08:38 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

You still have given us no info about the equipment or its age, but judging by the amount of cogs is must be a cassette. There's nothing to adjust. If it's working properly (not taking too long to engage, not slipping under pressure) you can do one of two things:

Don't worry until you see some sort of effect on operation.

Replace the freehub body if you are unable to stop worrying about it.
Old 10-16-13, 08:44 PM
Jakedatc

I did tell you. Post #6 BHS hubs, 10 speed SRAM cassette, 1800mi

you've been less than helpful, you can ignore this thread

edited

Last edited by Jakedatc; 10-16-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 09:00 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The safest first step is to pull apart the rear hub, clean and lube all the bits of the freehub and re-assemble. If you do it yourself, it only costs as much as the lube you use on the freehub. Each manufacturer specs something different for lube so check with them to see what they recommend but it is usually some type of light oil or very light grease.
Old 10-16-13, 09:02 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In post 6, you said you had bh hubs, so I wasted some time trying to figure out which model of BH bike you were rolling on....https://bhbikes-us.com/

Now, I see that was just a typo, and you've got some of these, yes? https://www.bikehubstore.com/ BHS hubs.

These have 6 pawls, which should give pretty nice engagement and, presumably, a decent buzzing sound. If the sound has decreased, it is likely a sign that the pawls may be a bit gummed up. I've never seen a BHS hub in the flesh, let alone rebuilt one, but you might wanna see if BHS will give you any tech docs. At any rate, the pawls are the little fin-type things you see in the pic below:

Towards the bottom left-- six of them arranged radially outside the blue cartridge bearing? Those things prolly have some sand/grease/mung/gunk in there. If you can liberate the freehub body, it'd be easy to get at 'em.... Clear the mung, hit em with some lightweight grease, and reassemble. Based on these pictures, I imagine the freehub body is easily disassembled. But, like I said, I've yet to meet one of these hubs. Here's a link to a generic DIY freehub overhaul: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...freehub-23757/

HTH. PS- please don't call cny the D-word. He's a big help; folks around here just get understandably frustrated if they haven't gotten enough info to help effectively.

regards
-rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SL211-4T.jpg (34.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by surreal; 10-16-13 at 09:04 PM. Reason: forgot several words
Old 10-16-13, 09:11 PM
Jakedatc

Rob, thanks for the info. I will do that after my ride tomorrow (meeting a friend in the AM so i won't mess with it at 11pm) I think i should be able to get it off with a few allen wrenches on either side.

I accidentally put in BH.. i couldn't remember exactly and they have no graphics. I had to go back to the thread where i bought the wheels on here to find it.
Old 10-17-13, 05:50 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

I did tell you. Post #6 BHS hubs, 10 speed SRAM cassette, 1800mi

you've been less than helpful, you can ignore this thread
What can I say - you're right. I somehow scrolled by that info at the bottom of your previous post. I did mention the mechanism could be gummed up but neglected to suggest you clean or lube it.
Old 10-17-13, 01:20 PM
Jakedatc

Well this might explain it... there is no retention wire or whatever around the pawls.. they were just sitting in there. I don't think there is anywhere for that to go so maybe it was built without and it has somehow worked this whole time? I'm going to call BHS to see what he says.

Old 10-17-13, 01:21 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
spooky
Old 10-17-13, 01:38 PM
Jakedatc

Brandon from BHS is going to send me a new wire spring thing. we're both really confused as to how they are still working.. i did 32mi at 19.5avg today lol maybe my power will go up once i have forward gear
Old 10-17-13, 04:52 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Or maybe it'll increase drag and drop your avg speed? Maybe that'll be the next hott mod--- get BHS hubs, pull the retention spring, and then you can go fast like Jakedatc.
Old 10-17-13, 07:05 PM
Jakedatc

Originally Posted by surreal
Or maybe it'll increase drag and drop your avg speed? Maybe that'll be the next hott mod--- get BHS hubs, pull the retention spring, and then you can go fast like Jakedatc.
Gahh.. this could all go terribly wrong then! In looking up stuff i did find videos of people removing pawls to decrease friction... i'm not sure if that is a worthy mod or not
Old 10-17-13, 07:27 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Impossible for me to say; I take pride in riding slow. My fastest bike has Tiagra hubs. But I will say that Chris King has begun offering hubs with 45 teeth (as opposed to their standard 72 tooth) in the ringdrive for less engagement/less drag. Surprising to me, as King hubs built their rep on the near-instant engagement of the 72tooth system, but I guess that's for mountainfolk. The r45 is marketed primarily to road creatures.
Old 10-18-13, 09:23 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The sharp edges of the pawls that engage the teeth look rather rounded compared to those I've seen. Could they be prematurely worn from erratic engagement due the missing spring?

Agree that it is amazing it's been working at all...
Likes For Looigi:
Old 10-18-13, 10:32 AM
Jakedatc

I'm not sure. i was focusing on the freehub so the pawls are probably out of focus so it is hard to tell. once the springs get here i'll pull it apart again and see what they look like. BHS has been super fast in returning emails and talking on the phone yesterday. I am hoping their newer freehub will fit in the same hub body so if i need to replace things in the future it will be a simple swap and no rebuilding.
Old 10-21-13, 03:04 PM
Jakedatc

Spring came today. I put it all back together and there is a light buzz in there now. Not as loud as the first video but i'd guess that is because i used more grease when i put it back together. could also be what Looigi said and the tips are dulled a bit and not as snappy. either way it should work better at least.

and if i feel it needs to be replaced the newer freehub will work without rebuilding anything so for 40 bucks i can be a pretty cheap swap.

Last edited by Jakedatc; 10-21-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 03:15 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Gahh.. this could all go terribly wrong then! In looking up stuff i did find videos of people removing pawls to decrease friction... i'm not sure if that is a worthy mod or not
The only time that pawls create a small amount of friction is when the wheel is freewheeling.
A mechanic removed half of them from Tyler Hamilton's wheel and when it locked he went over the handle bars.
Old 10-21-13, 03:18 PM
Jakedatc

ha good to know.. i just smeared it all with pedro's grease and called it a day. i'm just happy to have all of the pieces back. i'm guessing the old spring broke and got chewed up to nothing because it was 100% gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.