Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Favorite Sufferfest vid?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Favorite Sufferfest vid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 02:41 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite Sufferfest vid?

Alright so I am looking at investing in the Sufferfest videos and just want an opinion on which one people suffer the most at

Or just your favorite one for whatever reason. I want to start with one, see how I like it and then perhaps get the rest but I am unsure of which one to get I am currently debating between Angels and Fight Club, fight club sounds interesting because it sounds a little more unexpected and high powered but I can say I have not seen any of them yet so any recommendation is appreciated.
Old 12-07-10, 10:36 AM
RMMJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 4 of the 5. between the two you listed, fight club is more varied, angels has three 8 minute climbs, plus some other stuff.
Old 12-07-10, 11:53 AM
mellum76
Mashing towards happiness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have:

Angels
Downward Spiral
Fight Club
Revolver

I've been gravitating more towards Angels and, now, Revolver these days. Angels will hurt b/c of the long climbs and Revolver b/c it calls for repeating, short & nasty intervals.
Old 12-09-10, 04:25 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feel like I should update and note that I got Fight Club a few days ago and got a shot at it today. I really like the format of it with the recoveries built into the laps. The attacks don't seem all that long to me but they certainly begin to eat you up in the 4th / 5th lap.

I definitely will go with another video but now I guess it is between angels and Revolver (Part of me wants revolver just because it has some CX video footage in it).

One thing I want to ask is if any of the videos has more 1st person footage. I particularly enjoy sections where you feel like you are the actual rider, makes time pass faster.

Regardless it helps to know that people refer most to Fight club, angels, and revolvers. I think I may just get them all eventually.
Old 12-19-10, 06:55 PM
Tango6

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5, 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Downward Spiral, The Hunted, Angels, and Fight Club. I also have three of the earlier "podcasts" saved. I like them all but I think my favorite is "The Hunted" seems to be a harder workout that the others.

If David is reading this thread, please make some more soon. It is hard enough to ride on a trainer, at least these make it go by a little faster.
Old 12-22-10, 03:26 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Angels, Revolver and Fight club and all of them are tough if you really put your heart into it. I think revolver is the toughest since doing all out intervals for 60 sec 16 times is really tough. Those same 60 seconds on recovery seem so short!
I am also using the added flywheel with all of my training making it tougher still.
I like fight club because of the "race" feel. It's quite close in feeling to some of the crit races I do.
Angels is good too, less attacking and the last time I did it I was a bit lazy with my efforts..my 8/10 were not as hard as they should be. This is where you notice when you are training hard or not.
I'm you don't sissy out and put some real resistance and crank the cadence, you will have an excellent workout.
Old 12-24-10, 05:45 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got Revolver aswell. I have to say that it is definitely living up to it's name. I went with that as my second video because I wanted a shorter video for when I had less time on my bike.

One thing that may seem trivial is that I much prefer the warm-up on Revolver to the warm-up on Fight club. Has a much more racer-esque feel and I preferred the sound track. The ride along the Yarr in Fight Club just felt extremely slow going and gave me no motivation to get the rpms up.

Now my next debate is between Angels and The Hunted. The Hunted sounds interesting because it looks like it never gives you a true recovery (Something I both dread and worship) since sometimes I feel a little bad when I hit a recovery.

One big thing for me is that I have noticed the videos give me alot of motivation. Seeing other nearby racers cranking out some hurt helps, and so does viewing a race or ride from the handlebar cams, also some beautiful Vistas never hurt.

I will probably end up buying all of these videos eventually.
Old 12-25-10, 09:01 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've got Angels and Revolver, and compared to Spinervals and CTS they are about 100 times more motivating. Makes indoor training much more bareable.

I especially like the music and warm up in angels. The warmup is on a Velodrome and I've always wanted to ride on one, but never had the chance, this may be as close as I get.

The Cyclocross racing in Revolver is very well filmed and the first time I've really watched Cyclocross.

You can't go wrong with these videos.
Old 12-26-10, 11:30 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just finally bought the last 2. I've used Angels, Fight Club, and the Hunted. In order of calories burned, it goes: Angels, Fight club, then the Hunted. Here are some links to my Garmin 500 data (I know, I'm weak, but it's fun!)

Angels: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/59097369 Avg. power 226W, Max power 398W, total kJ 3265
Fight Club: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/60311212 Avg. power 222W, Max power 495W, total kJ 3163
The Hunted: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/59170848 Avg. power 225W, Max power 443W, total kJ 3359

Can't wait to try the last 2! I imagine revolver will burn less, as its 45 min vs. 60 minutes like the others. Hope that's useful information!
Old 12-27-10, 08:27 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
did Downward Spiral today, This is what it looks like:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/60842634 Avg. power 235, max power 554W, total KJ 3534
Old 12-30-10, 09:23 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Finally, Revolver:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/61218275 Avg. power 229, max power 526, total KJ 2734
Old 01-05-11, 09:40 AM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your KJ are a little high!
Old 01-12-11, 09:16 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bought Fight Club the other day and tried it out today. I'm very much used to the Spinerval format, so the change was nice. The warmup with the basket was a little goofy, makes it hard to really get into it. The music is the only saving grace in that department.

But once you get into the laps - its amazing. The 5th lap chasing Fabian was intense. I found myself leaning into the corners on my Rock and Roll - awesome!!

Definitely going to get another vid in the near future.

For those interested with Macs, iDVD converts them directly into the format compatible for DVD/Blu Ray players. Had mine up on the 56" with home theatre.
Old 01-16-11, 05:39 PM
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, that's part of the package....the silly things at the beginning and end are the funny bone nature of the serious workout of SF videos.

i still hate/respect the immensity of Revolver...if you think it's 'easy' then you aren't going all out. of course, it's 'perceived' effort.

lately a friend and i are trading off, buying the whole collection slowly but surely. Descending Spirals is a great format, tough but easier than Revolver by far.

can't wait to up the ante once my rollers come in.

Originally Posted by simonaway427
Bought Fight Club the other day and tried it out today. I'm very much used to the Spinerval format, so the change was nice. The warmup with the basket was a little goofy, makes it hard to really get into it. The music is the only saving grace in that department.

But once you get into the laps - its amazing. The 5th lap chasing Fabian was intense. I found myself leaning into the corners on my Rock and Roll - awesome!!

Definitely going to get another vid in the near future.

For those interested with Macs, iDVD converts them directly into the format compatible for DVD/Blu Ray players. Had mine up on the 56" with home theatre.
Old 01-18-11, 08:02 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sufferfest Local Hero: Avg. Power 229W, Max power 559W
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/64069471
Old 01-20-11, 02:34 PM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything with Richard Simmons in it will surely make you suffer.
Old 01-28-11, 04:02 PM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Off topic a little bit but need to ask: Those with Garmin 500, I assume you have a magnet setup on your rear wheel. Do you need to turn GPS function on/off based on trainer ride/ outdoor ride, etc. or do you just use the magnet the whole time.

FWIW: I have a Garmin 500, setup with GPS (no Magnet) and the TREK duotrap sensor. I would like speed to show up on my indoor rides. THanks for the help!
Old 01-28-11, 07:19 PM
Kevinative

Bikes: GF Level Betty FHO, GF Paragon, Raleigh Tomac, DB Interval, Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I discovered these a few months ago and now have them all. I'd rank Local Hero the best, then The Hunted followed by Angels and then 3 way tie for 4th. The narrative aspects of LH and The Hunted make them much more interesting and motivating.
Old 01-29-11, 11:57 AM
simonaway427

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KDTX
Off topic a little bit but need to ask: Those with Garmin 500, I assume you have a magnet setup on your rear wheel. Do you need to turn GPS function on/off based on trainer ride/ outdoor ride, etc. or do you just use the magnet the whole time.

FWIW: I have a Garmin 500, setup with GPS (no Magnet) and the TREK duotrap sensor. I would like speed to show up on my indoor rides. THanks for the help!
Is the trek sensor ANT+ compatible? If not, you're out of luck and you'll need the Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor.
Old 01-31-11, 11:05 AM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes the doutrap is ant+. It is just a candence/wheel sensor that goes into the frame vs. a unit that has to be clipped on top.
Old 01-31-11, 06:22 PM
simonaway427

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just tried Revolver. Ouch. I'd have to say I like the soundtrack to Fight Club better, but the Track and CX footage is super cool in Revolver.