Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 10:20 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can't help but chuckle at that. I can only hope that they did it in the name of blind obedience to the law rather than thinking the were accomplishing anything in the name of safety. I have a hunch when they drive their cars they won't be so blindly obedient to the law though.
Maybe they thought a car would come up out of nowhere to get them once they stepped onto the street.
Old 05-20-16, 10:23 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Can you quote the person that said that?

He can't, because nobody said it.

People have said it's rare, sure, but literally nobody said it doesn't happen ever. He is one of those people who thinks their point is so important, that it's OK to lie when trying to convince others of it.
Old 05-20-16, 10:52 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I disregard laws quite frequently in the name of safety, and it is not BS. I'll give you an example. I want to get from my house on Pasadena Ave in Metairie LA to the MS River MUP. I pedal south on Pasadena to its intersection with West Metairie Rd. I need to get to Houma Ave. I have two choices. I can take a right onto W. Metairie travel west all the way down to the next U turn then come back to Houma. That would put me on a high volume narrow 4 lane road that rarely sees any bicycle traffic with 40-45 MPH vehicular traffic for a total of about a half mile. Or I can take a quick right on W Metairie, shoot across the the nearby U turn then wait for a break in traffic and go the wrong way down W Metairie for about 100 yards to Houma. The way the traffic lights are timed, I can always get a reasonable break in traffic to do the 100 yard wrong way sprint. Take a look at it on Google maps and you will see what I am talking about. I can assure you it is much safer for me to go down the wrong side of the street for 100 yards than it is for me to try to mingle with traffic for that half mile. I can go on and on giving examples of how breaking the law is safer than complying.
I prefer to be honest with myself when taking liberties, I see too much evidence of people believing their own BS.
Old 05-20-16, 10:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I prefer to be honest with myself when taking liberties, I see too much evidence of people believing their own BS.
So what did you think about the situation I laid out? Would you ride the extra distance with the masses of fast moving vehicles or would you wait for a break and do a 100 yard wrong way sprint?
Old 05-20-16, 11:20 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So what did you think about the situation I laid out? Would you ride the extra distance with the masses of fast moving vehicles or would you wait for a break and do a 100 yard wrong way sprint?
I won't try to assess a situation without actually being there, so my answer is a question. Is there absolutely no possible way to get from A to B that's both safe and legal?
When I take liberties, its because it's quicker, and easier than doing the right thing.
Old 05-20-16, 11:22 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Since you asked. I'd go on Anthony Street. There's even a curb cut.

(p.s. The speed limit on W. Metairie is 35 mph.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-20-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-20-16, 11:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I won't try to assess a situation without actually being there, so my answer is a question. Is there absolutely no possible way to get from A to B that's both safe and legal?
When I take liberties, its because it's quicker, and easier than doing the right thing.
Safe is a tricky term to define. The alternatives involve riding for a short period of time on Airline highway. I do NOT want to do that. Other alternatives involve using the sidewalk for a short distance. I don't mind using the sidewalk for short stretches, but I don't like the sidewalk adjacent to Airline as there are a number of parking lots. When I take the wrong way leg it is absolutely because it is the safest route. When I ride, I ride for exercise, so to take a shortcut because it's less work is nonsensical to my way of thinking.
Old 05-20-16, 11:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Since you asked. I'd go on Anthony Street. There's even a curb cut.

(p.s. The speed limit on W. Metairie is 35 mph.)

-mr. bill
Thanks for putting effort into your response by looking at the map. If you hop onto Anthony you have to ride across a short stretch of grassy area. It appears to be maintained by the homeowners across Anthony St as the grass gets cut at the same time. I don't want to risk riding across a person's private property. A satellite map will show you what I am talking about. Trust me when I tel you traffic moves at 40-45 on W Metairie.
Old 05-20-16, 12:15 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for putting effort into your response by looking at the map. If you hop onto Anthony you have to ride across a short stretch of grassy area. It appears to be maintained by the homeowners across Anthony St as the grass gets cut at the same time. I don't want to risk riding across a person's private property. A satellite map will show you what I am talking about. Trust me when I tel you traffic moves at 40-45 on W Metairie.
lol...a guy from Massachusetts telling the guy in Louisiana which route he should to take to ride safe. If that doesn't beat it all...
Old 05-20-16, 12:28 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
lol...a guy from Massachusetts telling the guy in Louisiana which route he should to take to ride safe. If that doesn't beat it all...
I looked at the map, and saw just that, a map showing countless options without any context to support any opinion. I'll just say I have a hard time believing there's no viable routes available for someone unconcerned with time, distance, or effort.
Old 05-20-16, 12:44 PM
mr_bill

That's an unbuildable lot by zoning. It's too small for a residential dwelling, and it's zoned for a residential dwelling.

Also, I totally trust you that traffic goes faster than 35 mph.
I also trust you aren't the only sprinting salmon in Louisiana.

(p.s. The sidewalks to nowhere on the north side of W. Metairie are somewhat amusing. No matter - you would apparently walk in the street.)

-mr. bill
Old 05-20-16, 12:46 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by baron von trail
Some of us have been in more than one place on this planet. The idea that one salmon has the one true way to navigate is absurd.

And I didn't tell him what to do. I told him what *I* would do.

-mr. bill
Old 05-20-16, 01:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I looked at the map, and saw just that, a map showing countless options without any context to support any opinion. I'll just say I have a hard time believing there's no viable routes available for someone unconcerned with time, distance, or effort.
Any other option puts you on Airline. I will not ride on Airline. I live in a really crappy area to just hop on the bike and go. I'd love it if there were a viable option.
Old 05-20-16, 01:49 PM
mr_bill

Start at 5:50.

-mr. bill
Old 05-20-16, 02:07 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
No, one or two occurrences can be "written off" as being "anecdotal," but when it IS observed on numerous occasions it does to most people become a fact.
No. To no reasonable person does it become fact. At absolute best, it becomes motivation to develop a testable hypothesis (which it already has), so that data can be collected in a systematic manner and rigorous analysis can be done. That has already happened. Your observations have proven to be inconsistent with the data.

IF it isn't happening then how do you explain so many people having the same experiences?
The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with confirmation bias.

Okay, thank you very much YOU have just admitted that you are NOT performing a "true" Idaho Stop, as from EVERYTHING I've EVER read in regards to the Idaho Stop a person IS required to come to a full stop at a red light NOT to yield but to stop.
I always yield when required by the laws of man or physics. I don't stop unless necessary to yield. That's the ideal, and is an approximation of the Idaho stop. However, it's not easy to succinctly codify, while the actual Idaho stop law is. I ride to maximize my safety without detriment to other road users, which requires that I disregard some traffic laws.

You'd know, had you read the evidence I've previously studied, that some of the research considered yielding without stopping, not exactly obeying Idaho stop laws. No evidence was found for increased risk.

And you have said that it was more dangerous for a cyclist to stop at a red light or a stop sign.
It is more dangerous than yielding without stopping, which is a relative comparison. That doesn't imply that stopping is dangerous in absolute terms. Bicycling in the US is drastically more dangerous than bicycling in Amsterdam, but in absolute terms, riding on US streets is quite safe.

And based on your screen name I think that we can safely presume that you also jaywalk, which I do believe is also illegal in most if not all places.
Yet, despite being illegal, jaywalking across a street between intersections is frequently the safer option when compared to crossing at an intersection.

So why should we be listening to and taking advice from someone who even though they appear to be supporting the Idaho Stop they are NOT in fact practicing it the way that it is intended?
I have consistently supported approximations of the Idaho stop law.

And again IF it is oh so "dangerous" for a cyclist to stop for either a red light or a stop sign why can you NOT see that it is because of cyclists such as yourself who run red lights and stop signs?
That's nonsensical, even for you. I yield when required, thus it is literally impossible for my riding to negatively affect other road users. If you don't get that, then you truly don't understand the whole concept of yielding without stopping.

Why can't you see that the reason that some motorists "freak" out around cyclists is because of the unpredictable actions of cyclists such as yourself?
If another road user is entitled to the right of way, I yield to that road user. If the right of way is mine, then a proceed more quickly than I would otherwise be able if I came to a full and complete stop first. It doesn't get any more predictable than that. My way simply gets everyone through the intersection more quickly.

You on the other hand do not seem to be willing to accept data that contradicts YOUR deeply held belief that your version of the Idaho Stop is "always" safe, so given that you are NOT truly performing the Idaho Stop as described in the law of the Idaho Stop why should we be listening to you?
That's a nice straw man you've built up there. And your accusation that it's me that has ignored the data is truly laughable, especially coming from you, who has acknowledged disregarding data in favor of anecdotes, which is among the most egregious errors in objective research.

Also how do you explain that no one that I talked to, at any of the TV stations recalls reading any police report where in the primary cause of the crash was listed as the cyclist stopping at either a red light or a stop sign?
There are a few reasons, not the least of which is that you're attempting to tear down another straw man that you've built up. Perhaps if you worked on your reading comprehension, you could address the claims I've actually made.

The bottom line is as has been said here many times and NOT just by myself but by PLENTY of others that the roads ARE safest when we ALL use the same playbook.
Yes, I get that even though research has shown it to not be true, yours is a common misconception. Personally, I trust objective research.

Congratulations! Your inability to apply basic logic and reason to your posts has made you the first person ever on my block list!
Old 05-21-16, 11:15 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can you quote the person that said that?
I am NOT going to go digging through all of the posts but it IS there either Jaywalker or Equnox(sp) or both of them have repeatedly tried to tell us that we didn't see what we thought we've seen or that we've somehow have "misinterpreted" what we've seen. Just go back and look for yourself, because I seriously doubt that you'll believe it unless you do.
Old 05-21-16, 11:17 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is always a stupid debate supported by a few self centered people.

I won't claim to never take liberties, but claiming its ok, and correct to blow lights for "safety" reasons is total BS. What a few are able to get away with because they're an anomaly doesn't represent what works for the greater good.
+1,000,000

Some just don't seem to get that.
Old 05-21-16, 11:22 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
He can't, because nobody said it.

People have said it's rare, sure, but literally nobody said it doesn't happen ever. He is one of those people who thinks their point is so important, that it's OK to lie when trying to convince others of it.
I suggest that you go back and re-read it, I was referring to those who have said that I somehow "misinterpreted" what I seen while out on my bike.
Old 05-21-16, 11:49 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
No. To no reasonable person does it become fact. At absolute best, it becomes motivation to develop a testable hypothesis (which it already has), so that data can be collected in a systematic manner and rigorous analysis can be done. That has already happened. Your observations have proven to be inconsistent with the data.
You do know that data is generally collected through PERSONAL OBSERVATION, right?

The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with confirmation bias.
While I've looked this up, I haven't read enough about it.

I always yield when required by the laws of man or physics. I don't stop unless necessary to yield. That's the ideal, and is an approximation of the Idaho stop. However, it's not easy to succinctly codify, while the actual Idaho stop law is. I ride to maximize my safety without detriment to other road users, which requires that I disregard some traffic laws.

You'd know, had you read the evidence I've previously studied, that some of the research considered yielding without stopping, not exactly obeying Idaho stop laws. No evidence was found for increased risk.
As I said, I'd read what you posted, but it doesn't hold up to what not only myself but others have observed. Yet, that doens't seem to matter to you.

It is more dangerous than yielding without stopping, which is a relative comparison. That doesn't imply that stopping is dangerous in absolute terms. Bicycling in the US is drastically more dangerous than bicycling in Amsterdam, but in absolute terms, riding on US streets is quite safe.
Hmm, first you and I believe Equnox(sp) have said that stopping for every red light or stop sign was more dangerous and now you appear to be attempting to quantify it. On the majority of the roads that I use it would NOT be safe to use either the proper Idaho Stop. Let alone an "approximation" of the Idaho Start. IF I would get hit, as the vast majority of them do have active intersections and they're the only way to get to where I want to go.

Yet, despite being illegal, jaywalking across a street between intersections is frequently the safer option when compared to crossing at an intersection.
Again, I see far too many people who are jaywalking and narrowly avoiding getting hit. One of the most recent was a person who had jaywalked, and I heard the squealing of tires and saw them flying through the air. Admittedly I do believe that they actually got hit as no cops were called nor did an ambulance arrive on the scene. But had he NOT been jaywalking he would NOT have "flown" through the air.

I have consistently supported approximations of the Idaho stop law.
No, you were supporting the Idaho Stop and when it was pointed out to you that you are NOT performing a true Idaho Stop you've changed what you're supporting.

That's nonsensical, even for you. I yield when required, thus it is literally impossible for my riding to negatively affect other road users. If you don't get that, then you truly don't understand the whole concept of yielding without stopping.
The problem is that the law, even the Idaho Stop law requires you to stop.

If another road user is entitled to the right of way, I yield to that road user. If the right of way is mine, then a proceed more quickly than I would otherwise be able if I came to a full and complete stop first. It doesn't get any more predictable than that. My way simply gets everyone through the intersection more quickly.
More justification from you on why it's "okay" to break the law.

That's a nice straw man you've built up there. And your accusation that it's me that has ignored the data is truly laughable, especially coming from you, who has acknowledged disregarding data in favor of anecdotes, which is among the most egregious errors in objective research.
Again, data comes from personal observation. How many people have to observe the same thing before you accept it?

There are a few reasons, not the least of which is that you're attempting to tear down another straw man that you've built up. Perhaps if you worked on your reading comprehension, you could address the claims I've actually made.
I have I've told you that where I live it is far too dangerous to try to attempt the Idaho Stop, but for whatever reason you refuse to believe the person who actually lives there.

Yes, I get that even though research has shown it to not be true, yours is a common misconception. Personally, I trust objective research.
I trust what I have witnessed, and I have witnessed far too many people entering active intersections without looking or slowing. Is it always going to result in death, no of course not. But it does cause everyone involved too much stress.

Congratulations! Your inability to apply basic logic and reason to your posts has made you the first person ever on my block list!
Consider the favor returned.
Old 05-21-16, 12:31 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
This is a common statement made by motorists about bicyclists. I contend this virtually never happens.About the only time I see anything close to this happening is on the streets of Manhattan with bike messengers(mostly) but that place is Thunderdome, so that doesn't count.
When a motorist makes this statement, I have to wonder what we're talking about. I absolutely blow through red lights safely all the time. I'm out on Sunday morning at 8am. I approach a 4-lane 55mph road with a red light. I have unlimited views in either direction. I blow through without slowing down. No problem whatsoever. Same with stop signs. There are cases where it would be ridiculous to stop on a bike. If I think I would put myself in any danger, I stop or slow down.
But what I envision the motorist talking about is a bicyclist riding through an active or busy suburban or urban intersection at speed, with their head down, ignoring the red light and any traffic. I contend this scenario virtually never happens. I know that I have never witnessed it. That would certainly be wrong on the part of the cyclist, absolutely. It would also be tantamount to suicide, and therefore a highly unlikely occurrence.
So, when i talk to a motorist about why they dislike bicycles, and they say, "Because they blow through red lights.", they lose me.
I have witnessed it several times in the last 3 months as the weather has warmed up. My reaction: "thanks for making law abiding cyclists like me look bad ***hole". My girlfriend notes "wow, the idiocy is spreading from the drivers to the people on bikes!". To which i wryly reply "everyone is a sweaty faced madman 5 seconds away from committing a crime, where are the cops when you need them?!?".

In all seriousness, road safety involves everyone, including and especially cyclists.

- Andy
Old 05-21-16, 01:15 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Also, i motion that we start a cyclist oriented chain of rest stops called "idaho stop" with potato based meals & utensils etc. There could be a mechanic shop, a place to order/purchase parts and clothing, wifi/tv etc lounge, stationary bikes to keep warmed up, water refill stations etc etc.... Doesn't that sound amazing?

- Andy
Old 05-21-16, 01:54 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Also, i motion that we start a cyclist oriented chain of rest stops called "idaho stop" with potato based meals & utensils etc. There could be a mechanic shop, a place to order/purchase parts and clothing, wifi/tv etc lounge, stationary bikes to keep warmed up, water refill stations etc etc.... Doesn't that sound amazing?

- Andy
Seeing how cycling is mostly seasonal...maybe specializing in ice cream would be the way to go. A franchise of small stands called "Idaho" located on the various MUPs throughout the land that can be boarded up after October and re-opened in May.
Old 05-21-16, 02:03 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Some of us have been in more than one place on this planet. The idea that one salmon has the one true way to navigate is absurd.

And I didn't tell him what to do. I told him what *I* would do.

-mr. bill
I don't know. When I commute, I really do not like the idea of changing routes on the fly. Time is too tight. I already did the work: finding a route I like that I feel is safe and comfortable to ride.

I know that a bird's eye view on Google may show a different route---in fact I know of two---but until someone has lived it, it may not be a better route. The traffic pattern may suck on those roads; they may be bumpy and in general disrepair; there may be dogs, or the road maybe has no shoulder. Lots of things come into play. Pretty much any road I have not ridden before comes with unanticipated issues. So, I stick to what I know.

I can't imagine how someone 1000 miles away can have a clue which route would be "better."
Old 05-21-16, 02:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Bicyclists would never just blow through a stop sign. Or would they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikyIcoop60

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 05-21-16 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Tried to get the video to show in the post instead of just a link to it
Old 05-21-16, 02:13 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Bicyclists would never just blow through a stop sign. Or would they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikyIcoop60
The field of vision was excellent, and the bicyclists checked for traffic and yielded as appropriate. There was nothing unsafe about it, and predictability was (predictably) never an issue.

I'm sure you noticed that none of the cars stopped, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.