Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Parts for Fairdale Goodship

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-24-21, 11:46 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

hello, so based on some suggestions I got from y'all on my first thread in Road Cycling, I ordered a set of SRAM Rival 22 cranks with 52/36 I guess that's considered "semi compact". I've been having no problems with the 53/39-11/28 coming from my vintage bikes, climbing on this is definitely a bit easier. But they're a bit beat up looking, and the 36 will help just that little bit more and I'm never going to tap out the 53/11 so I don't think losing 1 tooth on the top end is anything I'll personally ever notice. I think it was a killer deal, they were on sale for around $100 plus tax/shipping which is what I paid for my Ritchey stem at the lbs.

The other item I'm thinking about is a front derailleur, it's got a Dura-Ace on there and it works but the chain drags in some gears, I wanted to find a used Rival to match the r/d, but haven't had any luck. So I have a frame clamp and a Force 22 f/d in my cart but haven't clicked buy yet. I'm assuming this should work fine but wanted to see if anyone suggest something else. I think the whole yaw concept sounds pretty good, and it looks easy to set up.

I'm not going to spend a lot more on this bike, it's already all SRAM stuff so I just want to keep it consistent and replace as needed. I do eventually plan to get better/lighter wheels which I found a thread someone else made about replacing the Axis Sport wheelset I have, along with other threads about wheels. But these are Ok for now and the tires have a lot of tread.

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-25-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 08:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
DO NOT swap a Shimano FD for a SRAM one.
Old 08-25-21, 09:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
DO NOT swap a Shimano FD for a SRAM one.
+1. OP, do not put a SRAM FD on your bike. Do some googling/reading on the subject. They won't even work with Fancy Feast.
Old 08-25-21, 09:49 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

That’s interesting, I have been doing loads of googling and not seen anything like that. Watched several videos and they look easy to set up and smooth in action but now I’m definitely curious. So do most people with bikes that came with SRAM swap them for Shimano or something else and why would any bike co. use SRAM groups if the fd are so bad? Also, fds are so basic it almost seems like it would be hard to mess up 😝

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-25-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 09:54 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
If it were me, I'd spend a little time dialing in the Dura-Ace FD first. That the chain rubs isn't a FD problem, it's an installation/fine tuning thing. Throwing money at it may make it go away, make it worse, or make other things go wonky.

What shifters do you have? I can appreciate making everything the same brand...

(nice to see another Goodship owner )
Likes For superdex:
Old 08-25-21, 09:59 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Originally Posted by superdex
If it were me, I'd spend a little time dialing in the Dura-Ace FD first. That the chain rubs isn't a FD problem, it's an installation/fine tuning thing. Throwing money at it may make it go away, make it worse, or make other things go wonky.

(nice to see another Goodship owner )

ok thanks I’ll mess with the d-a one a bit, I just like things to match but at least the logo is super subtle haha. I’ve been working on my own bikes since I was 12 and worked as a wrencher in a few bike shops when I was a young 20-something so I will mess around today.

I guess it’s more money towards my wheels! Any amazing deals I may not have found in my searches so far?
Old 08-25-21, 10:16 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
ok thanks I’ll mess with the d-a one a bit, I just like things to match but at least the logo is super subtle haha. I’ve been working on my own bikes since I was 12 and worked as a wrencher in a few bike shops when I was a young 20-something so I will mess around today.

I guess it’s more money towards my wheels! Any amazing deals I may not have found in my searches so far?
If you're running SRAM up front, I can understand wanting to swap out the fd to a SRAM. I can't answer the shimano/sram thing because I run Campy. shrug.

What's the budget for wheels? I got all fancy with some Light Bicycle 45mm carbon hoops:

Likes For superdex:
Old 08-25-21, 10:39 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Everything is SRAM, even though it’s not a factory Fairdale build list, it’s got Rival shifters, cranks, brakes, and rd. Only the fd is Shimano. The wheels are Axis I definitely want to swap them out and probably keep these in the shed for backup.

Just read a few articles (90% were mtb…) and a long thread on here about why SRAM Red fd titanium sucks but that thread said their other lines were all fine. How some pros using Red swapped to force or rival etc. so the only thing I see trashing SRAM fds is specifically MTB or Red titanium. At least that’s all I have come across on page 1 of google “sram front derailleur sucks”

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-25-21 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 11:35 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Even the other SRAM FDs work much, much worse than the DA you already have. SRAM front shifting is famously terrible.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-05-21, 09:11 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

So I took the advice and kept the fd and just spent a few minutes dialing it in. the chain doesn’t drag in any gear on the big ring but it does on the small ring in the higher gears so will try a few more adjustments.

The new crankset arrived and I swapped that out. It actually came with a new bottom bracket I wasn’t expecting so that’s cool for a backup.

Went on a few rides and the 36 made the difference I was hoping for. I haven’t been able to decide on wheels so ordered some Vittoria Corsa tires for now while I take my time looking for wheels.

Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-06-21, 03:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
If you've got the FD set so that you have rubbing only in small ring/smallest few cogs, that's perfectly acceptable. I agree that someone probably put the Shimano FD on to replace a SRAM that didn't work well.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-09-21, 01:54 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Since I can’t decide on wheels or a budget, probably 4-500, I decided to change to some tires that weigh about 1/2 of the solid rubber Specialized Endurant and got Vittoria Corsa g2. Two rides on them so far, really like them. I read on here they get flats easily but we’ll see. Our roads are a mix of crap and so-so. I did bunny hop a pothole with no drama today. For now until I decide on wheels I’m happy with the changes I’ve made.

Old 09-15-21, 03:42 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

I've had this bike (1 month now?) and thought it's odd that the original crankset was very tight, it didn't spin freely and thought maybe it's just a modern bottom bracket with sealed cartridge bearings, or I don't know, but that's how it was. Didn't really notice on rides much, but if you spun the cranks backwards, it probably stopped before 1 revolution. When I put the new cranks on, I was really surprised that with hardly any ft/lbs (2?) the cranks were so tight they would hardly turn. I've had BMX bikes with pinch bolt cranks so you just get the play out, tighten the pinch bolt and you're done and you really don't pre-tension much at all so though it's just how it is. I've never installed or in any way messed with this kind of crank, so just really wasn't sure.

Anyhow, after every ride the cranks would have a little play and I knew this can't be right. I decided to take out the cranks and look and see again, and for one thing, I discovered the drive-side bearings didn't turn at all so the crank was turning but the bearings were not, and I noticed a 2 or 3mm spacer between the GXP and the frame. Lucky for me, the cranks I just put on came with a new GXP bb and I had ordered a tool for it, I took off the driver side (with seized bearing) and put the new one on, with the spacer, assuming the p/o who "built" the bike as a bike mechanic knew what he was doing. Tightened everything up and same thing! Hardly tighten the cranks at all and they barely turned, make them remotely tight and they did not turn at all. I thought "I wonder if it's the spacer?". BINGO. Took off the spacer, put it all back together again, and now the cranks are actually TIGHT to the recommended ~32 ft/lb number and have ZERO play and spin like I figured they probably should, 2-3 full revolutions with ease going backwards. Rode 20 miles today and it was noticeable, so much smoother.

Today I ordered a set of Fulcrum 4 C16 wheels from probikekit.com and can't wait to put those on. Then I'm truly "done" and it's just going to be ride and replace as needed. I shopped for weeks for wheels, looking on here, google, read countless articles and reviews and product descriptions on websites. In the end I was going to get some Mach1 from Velomine around $200 shipped and figured they're at least as good or better than the Axis Sport wheels on it now with the dented rear which has a small hop and I'll ride those until I really decide on something better. While shopping I came across a deal on the Fulcrum's on Probikekit, for 344 + tax and free shipping, so like $380 shipped which seems a great deal for a decent wheelset. Now I can't wait to get those here and on the bike.

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 09-15-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 11:24 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

I got my Fulcrum racing wheelset from Probikekit and have been really happy with them. FedEx again blow my mind with how poorly they handle packages though. The box was soaking wet and had huge holes in it. I took plenty of pics for evidence in case things were missing or damaged but thankfully everything was good.

At this point I am done and just been enjoying the rides. The wheels are tubeless ready so I may try that out next time I get tires but otherwise I love my Fairdale.

Likes For LibertyFLS: