Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 08:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Oh those '87 Masters are the shizzle.

I've come to the point that if a Ironman is within a 100 miles from me and the price is a 100, I'm getting it. I'll hold it and pass it in to others in need...of an Ironman.
That's what it's all about. Lord Voldetunes legacy in action.
Old 10-26-21, 03:46 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I've been riding some Saturdays with a mtb group in our Cameron park. They're really a good group of guys. Usually the 10-15 guys will eventually break off in to 2 halves. Fortunately I've been able to stick with the lead riders. Despite my vintage Diamond Back Apex having No shocks, 1×7, and street tires. I could possibly change that but then I'd have no excuses for not leading the pack.
The river trail is about 2 Miles long, with the Brazos river on one side and a incline on the other. The incline portion has a lot of trail veins for mtb. It can get pretty hairy. So my biking buddy (not Mike) ask me to ride and I said sure, road or mtb? He chose the latter. We both got vintage mtb about the same time. His is a trek but it has 3 chainrings and I have one chainring, the middle one. So when we get to really short steep portions, I have to really mash on the pedals. Which is exactly what happened when my chain snapped! Jeez loweez, that wasn't fun. We were in the upper portion already. So what to do? My buddy says it's down hill from here you can just coast then when we get down there I can pull you with my spare tube. I said ok let's get down first then we can figure out how to pull me home. It was really a weird sensation coasting with no pedal pressure and a few times I would forget and still pedal. Eventually we made it down to the River trail with about a little more than a mile to get to where river trail turns to river walk. So he brings up using spare tube again and I say that's too short. He responds with well you got one too we can put them together and I pull you. I said let's use a stick. We find a bamboo one and we're off. It was EPIC! We pass a lot if walkers on the river trail. We had to look completely bonkers which just added to the FUN.
Eventually we make it in to the river walk when the bamboo breaks. So we find another stick that was even better but at this point we only have a half mile to go. We almost made it home but a steep hill 2 blocks from my house stopped us. I live to blocks from Cameron park. We walked the rest of the way.
I wish I could have taken a picture of him pulling me but one hand was holding the handlebars and the other the stick.
Where we stopped on the too steep hill is where I took this pic.

He had to hold on to the stick with one hand and handlebars with the other. But when we got to the steep hill he said he needed both hands and he hooked one end on his seatpost.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-26-21, 07:26 PM
seypat

I've been riding some Saturdays with a mtb group in our Cameron park. They're really a good group of guys. Usually the 10-15 guys will eventually break off in to 2 halves. Fortunately I've been able to stick with the lead riders. Despite my vintage Diamond Back Apex having No shocks, 1×7, and street tires. I could possibly change that but then I'd have no excuses for not leading the pack.
The river trail is about 2 Miles long, with the Brazos river on one side and a incline on the other. The incline portion has a lot of trail veins for mtb. It can get pretty hairy. So my biking buddy (not Mike) ask me to ride and I said sure, road or mtb? He chose the latter. We both got vintage mtb about the same time. His is a trek but it has 3 chainrings and I have one chainring, the middle one. So when we get to really short steep portions, I have to really mash on the pedals. Which is exactly what happened when my chain snapped! Jeez loweez, that wasn't fun. We were in the upper portion already. So what to do? My buddy says it's down hill from here you can just coast then when we get down there I can pull you with my spare tube. I said ok let's get down first then we can figure out how to pull me home. It was really a weird sensation coasting with no pedal pressure and a few times I would forget and still pedal. Eventually we made it down to the River trail with about a little more than a mile to get to where river trail turns to river walk. So he brings up using spare tube again and I say that's too short. He responds with well you got one too we can put them together and I pull you. I said let's use a stick. We find a bamboo one and we're off. It was EPIC! We pass a lot if walkers on the river trail. We had to look completely bonkers which just added to the FUN.
Eventually we make it in to the river walk when the bamboo breaks. So we find another stick that was even better but at this point we only have a half mile to go. We almost made it home but a steep hill 2 blocks from my house stopped us. I live to blocks from Cameron park. We walked the rest of the way.
I wish I could have taken a picture of him pulling me but one hand was holding the handlebars and the other the stick.
Where we stopped on the too steep hill is where I took this pic.

He had to hold on to the stick with one hand and handlebars with the other. But when we got to the steep hill he said he needed both hands and he hooked one end on his seatpost.
Snapped a chain? That's putting out some real power. Beast!
Old 10-27-21, 05:40 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Tall one owner Lemans RS in Lansing, $150
https://lansing.craigslist.org/bik/d/bath-centurion-lemans-rs/73837

09210.html
Old 10-29-21, 09:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I don't have any new pics of my 1985 Ironman to share, but I did want to say that I took it for a ride this afternoon, and OH MY GOD, THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!! It's now my favorite C&V bike! I only wish we weren't heading into the rainy season, so I could get more sunny afternoon rides on it!!

Here's the seller's pic. I haven't made many changes, except raising the saddle (the seller is a lot shorter than I am and the bike was too large for him to make work.) but I did repack all the bearings, recabled, new tires and bar tape, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-30-21, 04:28 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't have any new pics of my 1985 Ironman to share, but I did want to say that I took it for a ride this afternoon, and OH MY GOD, THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!! It's now my favorite C&V bike! I only wish we weren't heading into the rainy season, so I could get more sunny afternoon rides on it!!

Here's the seller's pic. I haven't made many changes, except raising the saddle (the seller is a lot shorter than I am and the bike was too large for him to make work.) but I did repack all the bearings, recabled, new tires and bar tape, etc.
That Ironman is Magic.
It's fast, smooth and comfortable. Add in cool paint job and what's not to like?
That killer paint needs to be seen in person to really appreciate it.
Old 10-30-21, 04:42 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by genejockey

Preach it, Brother Gene!
Old 10-30-21, 08:11 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Not mine and I don't know the owner . Friendly price on a 86' Ironman . I think it's a 56 , seller says 56 and 54 . Interesting thing , it has 27" wheels .
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...392804067.html
Front end looks iffy to me.
Old 10-31-21, 12:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by due ruote
Front end looks iffy to me.
Agree. Plus what's going on with the downtube?

Old 10-31-21, 01:05 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Definitely has front end damage. The front tire's about 1 1/2" too close to the downtube. Seriously.
Old 10-31-21, 01:50 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
The front tire's closer _in part_ because it has 27" wheels/tires. Front end still looks iffy. Mounting 700s would give a better sense.
Old 11-01-21, 01:59 AM
texaspandj

Page 400!
First, Thanks R.T. wherever you are.
Second, when I'm officially awake I'm gonna post a group pic of all my Ironman bikes...but how do I get them all in one shot?
Old 11-01-21, 09:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
...but how do I get them all in one shot?
Put them outside and wait 'til a satellite passes over.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-02-21, 02:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...when I'm officially awake I'm gonna post a group pic of all my Ironman bikes...but how do I get them all in one shot?
Serving suggestion.

It's turtles all the way down.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-02-21, 10:48 AM
Cankles

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Premio 22sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Wow. great forum thanks everyone. in negotiations for a $40 stripped down ironman frame for my first resto project. cheers! thanks for the motivation
Old 11-02-21, 10:49 AM
Cankles

[QUOTE=canklecat;22292583]Serving suggestion.

...AND a fellow cankle-ite...wow, I'm home!
Old 11-05-21, 10:07 AM
Cankles

For $40 would you do it?

What size do you think it is? 56?

What would you do with it? It needs everything and I have nothing... find the original 1985 600-6207 parts (cool, but difficult and expensive)? Find a reasonably close 6-7 speed 80-90's marketplace donor-bike this winter (cheap and easy but resto/perf tradeoffs). I am definitely in favor of keeping the downtube shifters as I have a proper 22sp steel road bike for modern performance.

Here's a pic from the listing. I will check for bent fork and frame but looks OK to me. Sounds like it was scavenged into a fixie and then those parts were swapped by current owner to a new frame.

Ironman frame sale photo
Likes For Cankles:
Old 11-05-21, 11:06 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
For $40 . yes I would buy it . Seat post , seat , binder bolt , headset , BB , f/brake , b/cage . I'd say good start . I think it's a 58 but lets wait for tex , he knows how to spot that .
Likes For markwesti:
Old 11-05-21, 11:59 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
I would say a 58.
Definitely worth the $ and always a good idea to have an Ironman frame sitting around.
Remember the 85’s used the unusual Type A Shimano downtube shifter mount with 4.5mm bolts, so unless you locate an original set of 6207 (or earlier) friction shifters you’ll have to d9 some minor modification and retapping.

Last edited by rccardr; 11-05-21 at 12:07 PM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 11-05-21, 01:28 PM
Cankles

Originally Posted by rccardr
I would say a 58.
Definitely worth the $ and always a good idea to have an Ironman frame sitting around.
Remember the 85’s used the unusual Type A Shimano downtube shifter mount with 4.5mm bolts, so unless you locate an original set of 6207 (or earlier) friction shifters you’ll have to d9 some minor modification and retapping.
I had no idea. Ironically all the available 6207’s on eBay are clamp on. Tap kits look cheap and doable…gulp.
Old 11-05-21, 03:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Cankles
I had no idea. Ironically all the available 6207’s on eBay are clamp on. Tap kits look cheap and doable…gulp.
You don't need 'em! Just find the correct bases, and 4.5mm screws (The 4.5mm screws come with the clamp=on shifters). Then wait for them to arrive from Belgium. They'll work with the 6207 clamp-on shifters. You just need to take them off the clamp-on mount.

I have a 1985 Ironman that someone had converted to 6208 SIS shifters - which had all the tabs broken off, so they would neither index nor stay where you shifted them to - so I purchased both the clamp-on 6207 shifter set AND those shifter boss covers. If you look at the 6207 shifter manual, the "axle covers" are the same part number - 6442001 - as the ones from Belgium.

This is what I did with my Ironman and it works great! And no filing and re-tapping!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-05-21, 06:36 PM
texaspandj

For $40 would you do it?

What size do you think it is? 56?

What would you do with it? It needs everything and I have nothing... find the original 1985 600-6207 parts (cool, but difficult and expensive)? Find a reasonably close 6-7 speed 80-90's marketplace donor-bike this winter (cheap and easy but resto/perf tradeoffs). I am definitely in favor of keeping the downtube shifters as I have a proper 22sp steel road bike for modern performance.

Here's a pic from the listing. I will check for bent fork and frame but looks OK to me. Sounds like it was scavenged into a fixie and then those parts were swapped by current owner to a new frame.

Ironman frame sale photo
Looks like a 58 from that pic angle.
I'd go modern if it were me. Did you get it?
If you get the frame and plan on going stock I think I may have some original parts and if so, you are welcome to them.
InciIncidentally, you can convert/tap standard 5mm bolts to 4.5mm bolt instead of tapping the bosses.
Old 11-05-21, 08:09 PM
Cankles

Looks like a 58 from that pic angle.
I'd go modern if it were me. Did you get it?
If you get the frame and plan on going stock I think I may have some original parts and if so, you are welcome to them.
InciIncidentally, you can convert/tap standard 5mm bolts to 4.5mm bolt instead of tapping the bosses.
Tap the bolts…wisdom.

Did get it. I can see why they’re respected. 58 confirmed. It’s a darn near mirror geometry twin to my current ride which I feel a tad short on at. 5’11” so I’m contemplating whether it’s worth my effort. (If you’re just dying for a 58 ‘85 holler!)

ill probably look around for a bit before I decide what to do. Lacking a wheel set currently and looking on marketplace makes me think that a modern conversion via donor bike may be most straightforward play balancing cost, performance, and effort.

The seller did find the stem so I have that as well. The bike has seen some use but will clean up ok.

Last edited by Cankles; 11-05-21 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-05-21, 08:26 PM
seypat

Tap the bolts…wisdom.

Did get it. I can see why they’re respected. 58 confirmed. It’s a darn near mirror geometry twin to my current ride which I feel a tad short on at. 5’11” so I’m contemplating whether it’s worth my effort. (If you’re just dying for a 58 ‘85 holler!)

ill probably look around for a bit before I decide what to do. Lacking a wheel set currently and looking on marketplace makes me think that a modern conversion via donor bike may be most straightforward play balancing cost, performance, and effort.

The seller did find the stem so I have that as well. The bike has seen some use but will clean up ok.

Noooyyyce!
Old 11-06-21, 02:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Tap the bolts…wisdom.

Looks like a worthy project.

58cm should be okay. I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, arm reach slightly longer than usual, and can ride 56 or 58cm road frames, no problem. Just requires a stem length, handlebar reach and, if applicable, brake/shifter hood length, to get the reach to suit me. I have chronic neck problems from old injuries and am picky about bike fit, but I'm satisfied with my 56 and 58cm frames.

I have stems varying from 90 through 130mm to suit the frame length, handlebar reach, etc. My Ironman still wears the original downtube shifters, brakes and handlebar, so I found a slightly shorter 110mm stem suited me (the original was 120). My carbon fiber bikes have slightly shorter top tubes than the Ironman, and I use compact drops with shorter reach, but also brifters with longer hoods. So 120 and 130 stems get me the same effective reach as the Ironman, so there's no transition jolt switching between bikes. Handlebar/saddle drop is deeper on the carbon bikes, mostly based on my preference for balance and handling, not to get more aero. For some reason those bikes felt a bit twitchy with the handlebars higher, which negated any comfort I hoped to gain. I'm more comfy on a bike that behaves on tricky roads.

I think my Univega MTB-lite/hybrid is 60cm and replacing the original flat bar with a Nitto albatross swept bar (and the original stem from my '89 Ironman) made it comfy. It sits up high, so it's a great city traffic bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.