Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Adding another Bike (used), just looking for some opinions.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 11:21 AM
AdamITR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Currently riding a 2007 Giant TCR C2, size XL (59), 30-50mile rides, 3-4 times a week. The bike has been great, nice fit, comfortable … however not the best group set (ultegra 105).

I live in Upstate, NY, so some great elevation changes, and the bike handles this well.

I am looking for a Time-Trial type bike, as there time-trial events where I ride, every other Friday. Roughly 30 miles.

I traded a bunch of my older bikes to Pro Closet a while back, and have $3,500ish store credit, so the bike will be coming from them.

The bikes I have been looking at (pending if they are still avail) are:

1. 2018 Scott Foil 10 (rim brakes) - More Aero, But still good all around … worry is the rear brake clamp is down below, and from some research, not the best.

2. 2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - seems like it can do it all, but don’t know too much about this bike

3. 2015 Trek Domane 6 Series - again not too familiar with this bike or Trek bikes in general.

All are Di2, all in excellent condition.

Thanks for any advice … feel free if your bored to take a look at that website (I’m looking in the under $3800 price range) … size 58+ (I’m 6’2”, 34 inseam, long arms, 235 solid)
Old 08-22-21, 05:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked 5,521 Times in 2,795 Posts
The Scott seems to be the "aero" choice of the three, which is what you want for TT. I wouldn't rule it out because of the rear brake. Lot of tri bikes use those, not a big deal.
Old 08-22-21, 06:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,917 Times in 3,044 Posts
Well for a start the Trek Domane is not a TT bike. It's actually their endurance model aimed at long distance road rides. But it would actually be ideal for 30-50 mile regular rides, being more comfortable than your TCR.
A Trek Madone is more in line with the other 2 bikes you mentioned, which are both road race bikes. But if you are buying this second bike specifically for entering TTs then why not get a more dedicated TT bike?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-22-21, 10:01 AM
AdamITR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well for a start the Trek Domane is not a TT bike. It's actually their endurance model aimed at long distance road rides. But it would actually be ideal for 30-50 mile regular rides, being more comfortable than your TCR.
A Trek Madone is more in line with the other 2 bikes you mentioned, which are both road race bikes. But if you are buying this second bike specifically for entering TTs then why not get a more dedicated TT bike?

Hmm… good point!
Old 08-28-21, 07:21 AM
mizer2167

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd probably try to stretch the budget a little and get one of the ~2018 Trek Madones they have around ~$4500 in size 58, but I'm partial to the Madone. This is assuming you want an all-rounder that's still aero for your TTs.

Clip on bars might be tough to install on some of the integrated cockpits though, assuming your looking to get into TT position. I have not looked into that.

They do have a few actual TT bikes as well, but they're a bit specialized and I have no experience with any of them to offer.