Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Floor Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21, 07:34 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I agree with the threaded stems. But with the new washer it isn't so bad.
0-60 psi gauge would only get me half way there. I use my compressor to get to 100~ PSI then use the Silca floor pump to get to my target.
Understood. I pump my tires to 45psi, the 60psi gauge is more readable and theoretically more accurate at that pressure than the original 220psi Silca gauge.
Old 12-19-21, 10:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
At the risk of sounding insensitive, if your floor pump gives you a workout, it's probably good to be getting that workout.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-22-21 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-19-21, 10:41 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The Lezyne pumps with the screw-on head are fine unless your tubes have removable valve cores. Removing the pump head tends to take the core with it.
Lezyne ABS-1 Pro head largely significantly improves on that issue. Essentially it allows for a better control of the head's direction, during unscrewing, reducing the chances of catching the core.

Old 12-22-21, 08:08 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Lezyne ABS-1 Pro head largely significantly improves on that issue. Essentially it allows for a better control of the head's direction, during unscrewing, reducing the chances of catching the core.
As I noted in my earlier post in this thread, I was surprised by how much I like the ABS-1 Pro. I just find it very comfortable and convenient to use.

I don't use threadlocker on my Presta valve cores, but I do check the valve core on every new tube to make sure that it's tight.
Old 12-22-21, 08:51 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
I don't use threadlocker on my Presta valve cores, but I do check the valve core on every new tube to make sure that it's tight.
+1. I just snug up the valve on new tubes and never have a problem with them unscrewing using my Lezyne mini pump.
Old 12-22-21, 10:37 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

As I noted in my earlier post in this thread, I was surprised by how much I like the ABS-1 Pro. I just find it very comfortable and convenient to use.

Sorry, John, I missed it. I am glad to hear that they equip the new pumps with that head. I replaced the original heads on a full-size Lezyne floor pump and their mini floor pump with ABS-1 and it is happy sailing. I tend to go with removable cores in my tubes for the sake of added flexibility in repair and testing - there had been tubes in the past with nonremovable cores that had to be tossed because of a failing vent.
Old 12-22-21, 02:38 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Sorry, John, I missed it. I am glad to hear that they equip the new pumps with that head.
Hey, no harm in two or more people sharing in the same thread that they like the ABS-1 Pro! I think it's good that you posted a picture, too, because these really aren't exactly like the old Lezyne chucks.

Lezyne actually has a page about their air chucks: History and Compatibility of Chucks. The one I purchased recently is the first Lezyne floor pump I've owned, so I never lived with any of their earlier models.
Old 12-22-21, 04:07 PM
djm1834 

Bikes: Rodriguez road bike; Rodriguez gravel bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I recently bought a Topeak Joeblow X. I like it and chose it because the gauge is near the top which makes it easier for old eyes to read.

'73 Frejus TdF
'06 Rodriguez Sport
'11 Rodriguez Sprint

'19 Rodriguez Bandit
Old 12-22-21, 04:32 PM
2_i 

Hey, no harm in two or more people sharing in the same thread that they like the ABS-1 Pro! I think it's good that you posted a picture, too, because these really aren't exactly like the old Lezyne chucks.

Lezyne actually has a page about their air chucks: History and Compatibility of Chucks. The one I purchased recently is the first Lezyne floor pump I've owned, so I never lived with any of their earlier models.
Thanks for the link. I wonder about ABS-2. I got a chuck like that from Birzman and it was horrible. Besides the floor pump from Lezyne, I also have their mini floor pump and it has worked well for me, far more durable than a similar in functionality pump from Topeak. Further, around Lezyne and pumps, I got to like their digital gauges and equipped my old Zefal pump with one. There was quite a bit of agony there though with regard to the threads for the fit. When you go to hydraulic/pneumatic threads it gets much worse than elsewhere