Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Island - bike to Bethpage air show

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 01:56 PM
luvarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Guys - I've never done this and want to take my 2 kids. One is an avid biker with great control but the younger one not so much. He's 5 and can bike 3-4 miles with ease but not possible on an actual side of a road with vechicles on it (overwhelming for him). Since so many roadways get closed, we were thinking of parking somewhere north and then bike south hopefully on actual sidewalks. Any tips you can provide where to park and if sidewalks exist all the way will help

Thanks
Old 05-18-23, 05:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 1,195 Posts
Theres a bike path along the Wantagh Parkway, is 5.5 miles from Cedar Creek Park, in Wantagh to JB. They might be checking for Nassau County residency at Cedar Creak. Can a 5 yr. old handle that distance ?. The path is alongside the parkway but protected by a cable fence. Or if you are an Oyster Bay resident, you can park at Tobay Beach and ride the Ocean Bike Path 3.5 miles west to JB, also along the parkway.
Old 05-18-23, 06:35 PM
luvarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Understood. He's done a max of 5 once so we are talking about 10 total. I think the parking lot if we drive to jones beach perhaps closes off by 8am? Any idea?
Old 05-18-23, 09:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by luvarb
Understood. He's done a max of 5 once so we are talking about 10 total. I think the parking lot if we drive to jones beach perhaps closes off by 8am? Any idea?
No ideas. I hate big crowds so have never gone to the air show. I dont know what time it starts and cannot give advise as to when to arrive and park. There us a bike path the entire length from West End beach, to field 6, so you could park at any of those and bike the path/boardwalk.
Old 05-18-23, 09:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 732 Posts
One suggestion, I've volunteered with my kids for the air show, basically you keep stupid people from ignoring the ropes and signs as they try to wander across protected areas. It gets you free parking, a free shirt, and a spot on the beach. Down side is you get there earlier and stay later but they provide drinks and lunch.
My then 5y did the ride from Cedar Creek to Jones Beach, getting there isn't the issue, its the return trip, and after a day of watching planes and playing on the beach he may be too tired to ride. We did best with a trail-a-bike, which lets him pedal but you're doing most of the work. The one I have was bought by a friend when their oldest was little 24 years ago, it went through her 3 kids then my three kids so it isn't pretty, but it is solid. If you'd like to try it you're welcome to it.
Likes For Russ Roth: