Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Modern Cycling is Becoming Much More Hazardous!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Modern Cycling is Becoming Much More Hazardous!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Depending on the country, cycling has been estimated to be 20-80 times more deadly per mile than riding in a motor vehicle although I doubt the fatality rate per 100mm miles has changed much.
Citation needed. As far as I can find,10x is the highest number, I haven't seen anything close to 20x, let alone 80.
Old 03-08-23, 07:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Citation needed. As far as I can find,10x is the highest number, I haven't seen anything close to 20x, let alone 80.
Regardless of the multiplier, I don't think a per mile comparison is valid.

I take roughly 8 hours to ride what I might drive in two, but other than my commute, it's an apples and oranges comparison because I'm not riding to get places I could drive to.

So, I prefer to think about per hours and compare to my other forms of recreation on that basis.

Also, I've never lived by statistics. I manage risk to beat the odds. So, when All is said done, I judge my risk on the bike to be higher than driving, but lower or within the range of other life factors.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-08-23, 07:42 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
As a golfer in a region with a lot of pop up thunderstorms, I suspect the lightning risk in golf is more dangerous than cycling for me.
Old 03-08-23, 07:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
​​​​​​Without reliable exposure data, it's impossible to know whether the increase in riders getting hit is just reflecting directly the increase in people riding. If that's the case, from an individual perspective, there's been no increase in my risks riding.
I do think one should be very careful comparing bike safety stats to boating stats. Obviously, I'm no expert, but bike stats are related to automobile stats. I don't think there's any equivalent relationship with boat statistics and those of any other activity. Feel free to correct me on that, but I think boating and cycling are more different than they are alike.
I may have done so awkwardly, but I made a somewhat long-winded attempt at saying that it is very likely that there are more bicyclists on the road. Covid saw a massive increase in outdoor recreation. I was agreeing with this part of your reply "but that may very well be the result of more people riding."
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-08-23, 07:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Do we really have reliable data on cycling hazards?

When I went to the ER and then to the trauma center, nobody from the government records that data.

Depending on the country, cycling has been estimated to be 20-80 times more deadly per mile than riding in a motor vehicle although I doubt the fatality rate per 100mm miles has changed much.
I think a per hour, rather than per mile comparison more accurately captures the risk.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-08-23, 07:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by jon c.
As a golfer in a region with a lot of pop up thunderstorms, I suspect the lightning risk in golf is more dangerous than cycling for me.
By paying a modicum of attention and using radar and lightning apps, you can dramatically reduce that risk.
Old 03-08-23, 09:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Regardless of the multiplier, I don't think a per mile comparison is valid.

I take roughly 8 hours to ride what I might drive in two, but other than my commute, it's an apples and oranges comparison because I'm not riding to get places I could drive to.

So, I prefer to think about per hours and compare to my other forms of recreation on that basis.

Also, I've never lived by statistics. I manage risk to beat the odds. So, when All is said done, I judge my risk on the bike to be higher than driving, but lower or within the range of other life factors.

I've made the argument against per mile in other threads. The primary reason it's an awful comparison is the existence of high speed interstates, there's just no bicycle equivalent. That's still not an excuse for overstating the difference making the crappy comparison even crappier.

Stats are interesting if you're talking beyond one's own personal risk, but crummy stats are useless.
Old 03-08-23, 09:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
Have you considered golfing on a bike during a thunderstorm?
Old 03-08-23, 09:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Have you considered golfing on a bike during a thunderstorm?
I have considered a golf bike. There are several people at my course who have them. And if I had one sooner or later I'd get caught in a storm. You could definitely get back to the clubhouse a lot faster than on foot. And this course has some long distances between holes, so if you're on the far end of the back nine it's a long way home.
Old 03-09-23, 08:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think a per hour, rather than per mile comparison more accurately captures the risk.
it depends, i think, if you're riding for utility, in which case the relevant metric is distance. "how likely am i to get killed achieving my goal of buying groceries from a market 3 miles away." this is the way all transport risks are measured, that i've ever seen. accidents per passenger miles, basically.

if you're riding for pleasure, you set out for however much time you feel like and have available, and if instead you were driving for pleasure, swimming, snorkeling, golfing, etc, those activities would all be done for the same approximate couple of hours.
Old 03-09-23, 09:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by mschwett
it depends, i think, if you're riding for utility, in which case the relevant metric is distance. "how likely am i to get killed achieving my goal of buying groceries from a market 3 miles away." this is the way all transport risks are measured, that i've ever seen. accidents per passenger miles, basically.

if you're riding for pleasure, you set out for however much time you feel like and have available, and if instead you were driving for pleasure, swimming, snorkeling, golfing, etc, those activities would all be done for the same approximate couple of hours.
I agree that it makes sense to compare risk based on the objective, utility or recreation. However, there's a bigger issue to consider, namely the various assumptipns and skews.

Statistical comparisons of this type assume that the risks are spread uniformly within each category.

But life doesn't work that way. I don't think that anyone would be surprised to know that members within each category can and do alter their individual odds.

If you want to beat thd odds as a driver, don't drive drunk, be older than 25, avoid driving in bad weather, and so on. Same with cyclists.

So, we need to start by separating the controllable from random or uncontrollable. As a cyclist, there's not much I can do about being passed, because I have no idea or control over who's coming up from behind. I do have some control by choosing roads and times of day intelligently but that's limited, so I'm at the mercy of odds and luck.

OTOH, I have much more control in urban riding, where situational awareness and tactical skill in traffic can change the odds greatly.

Just like.with drivers, accidents aren't distributed evenly, and some cyclists are very "lucky" and others not. We each choose which group we want to join.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-09-23, 10:45 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I would be against people taking jumbo jets to go 2 miles to the grocery store. What do jet planes have to do with the topic?

We got on the overuse of cars because OP isn't buying the idea that e-vehicles are making things safer by getting some people out of cars. You want to compare CO2 emissions per mile between car drivers and airline passengers? Different thread and forum entirely.
go back and read bud,, my response was to a comment on how inefficient cars are. . Im free to respond to a comment as are you....
Old 03-10-23, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rossiny
Yup, 4000 pounds car or truck , to move 1 person and a couple bags of grocery. Now think about a jumbo jet fuels up on 23,000 gallons of fuel and goes up in the air!!??
Originally Posted by rossiny
go back and read bud,, my response was to a comment on how inefficient cars are. . Im free to respond to a comment as are you....

OK, bud. It's a stupid comment either way as you appear to be arguing about the efficiency of using a jumbo jet to go a few miles to the grocery store.
You want to calculate the fuel per passenger mile for cars and airplanes? Knock yourself out, but it's complicated. If you're comparing shorter trips, be sure to include the fuel needed to transport passengers to and from airports. I'm pretty sure you won't find it more economical to take the jumbo jet to and from the grocery store for a couple bags of groceries, but maybe you could make this work by chartering the plane with 150 other shoppers and/or buying your groceries at an airport terminal. I look forward to your report on this project.

It's a non sequitur no matter what topic you had in mind. And no, the people on this thread are not mind readers, we have no idea why you want us to think about jumbo jets in the context of anything discussed on this thread.

If you post something dumb, people are free to question it, especially if the point is irrelevant to the thread topic.

​​​​​
Old 03-10-23, 10:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
~~In 2017, I was traveling about 30mph when a car bumped my bars and I wiped out. I was out of commission for 6 months. Indeed, it was a hit & run,
but I really don't think the driver even knew they hit me as they were probably occupied by their smartphone. Since then, my riding strategy has changed dramatically.

~~One summer night last August, I was traveling eastbound in the designated bike lane (with front and rear lights "on"), turning right/southbound into a designated bike lane where
I avoided A HEAD-ON COLLISION WITH AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER GOING THE WRONG WAY WITH NO LIGHTS ON! I was fortunate that there was no automobile traffic at the time.

I have since contacted the city transportation department about better enforcement and stiffer penalties for selfish idiots who have no regard for others.

Times have changed and so have humans. Modern “smartphone culture” has created a new breed of driver who is too easily distracted by the world at their fingertips every waking minute of the day.

New battery technology has created noiseless cars, and spawned a new breed of electric locomotion; electric bicycles, scooters, and skateboards.
Moreover, they’re adding a new breed of traveler to our already crowded roads.

Many of these new “travelers” are unskilled, or ignorant of the rules of the road and the safety of others, or all of the above.

Regardless, all of these things make it extremely hazardous for everybody who shares the road.
If you dont have the Me generation attitude that everyone should give way to me and get out of my way like some do, I suppose it may be more hazardous. But if you use common sense and logic on where and how to ride safely, I dont agree.
Old 03-10-23, 10:18 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
The OP used common sense and logic alright....he explained to us a threat he did not expect, could not hear, and could not see until the last moment.

There's not a lot he could have done differently.

Whether to this is worse than a decade or three ago is another question. Idiots are eternal.

cheers -mathias
Old 03-13-23, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
If you dont have the Me generation attitude that everyone should give way to me and get out of my way like some do, I suppose it may be more hazardous. But if you use common sense and logic on where and how to ride safely, I dont agree.

More BS generational conflict nonsense from you. What exactly do you think this adds to the conversation other than express your pointy-headed stereotypes?
Old 03-13-23, 01:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

More BS generational conflict nonsense from you. What exactly do you think this adds to the conversation other than express your pointy-headed stereotypes?
I am surprised you can post all your personal attacks on me considering the placement of your head. Are all people from New England as annoying as you are****************************** Or is it that that wonderful seat you defend is crushing your brain???

Apparently you are too ******* stupid to understand a cyclist can some what control his safety by where, when, and how he rides. Such as dont ride on an arterial during rush hour, and there are many more.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-13-23, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am surprised you can post all your personal attacks on me considering the placement of your head. Are all people from New England as annoying as you are****************************** Or is it that that wonderful seat you defend is crushing your brain???

Apparently you are too ******* stupid to understand a cyclist can some what control his safety by where, when, and how he rides. Such as dont ride on an arterial during rush hour, and there are many more.

I ride quite safely on some arterials during rush hour. Arterials around here often have great shoulders, etc. General rules are wrong quite often.

Again, why did you feel a need to post your stupid generational stereotype in order to make what little point you had? I didn't say you had a pointy head, only that the stereotype is pointy-headed.

Meantime, you take a swipe at my brain location and DF bike seats. You were specifically told to stop doing the latter, but now you seem to think you can get away with that by being "cute".
Old 03-13-23, 02:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

I ride quite safely on some arterials during rush hour. Arterials around here often have great shoulders, etc. General rules are wrong quite often.

Again, why did you feel a need to post your stupid generational stereotype in order to make what little point you had? I didn't say you had a pointy head, only that the stereotype is pointy-headed.

Meantime, you take a swipe at my brain location and DF bike seats. You were specifically told to stop doing the latter, but now you seem to think you can get away with that by being "cute".
This is the advocacy and Safety area. That covers ALL kinds of cycling, and you follow me over here to continue your personal attacks. Do you think the mods approve of that??? But then some people are just annoying ********!!!
Old 03-13-23, 02:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

This is the advocacy and Safety area. That covers ALL kinds of cycling, and you follow me over here to continue your personal attacks. Do you think the mods approve of that??? But then some people are just annoying ********
Old 03-13-23, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This is the advocacy and Safety area. That covers ALL kinds of cycling, and you follow me over here to continue your personal attacks. Do you think the mods approve of that??? But then some people are just annoying ********

Go ahead, explain what your BS about the "Me Generation" has to do with advocacy and safety or the thread topic. The only one getting personal and insulting here is you. You started by insulting an entire generation, and now you're going after me because I called BS on it.
Old 03-13-23, 03:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Go ahead, explain what your BS about the "Me Generation" has to do with advocacy and safety or the thread topic. The only one getting personal and insulting here is you. You started by insulting an entire generation, and now you're going after me because I called BS on it.
If the shoe fits WEAR IT.
Old 03-13-23, 03:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

​​​What shoe? You have no shoes. I do know what you can't tell from Shinola, however.
Old 03-14-23, 06:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Apparently you are too ******* stupid
Entirely inappropriate but you seem to have at least 9 lives here on BF.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-14-23, 02:47 PM
FBinNY 

​​​What shoe? You have no shoes. I do know what you can't tell from Shinola, however.
Guys, please take this bar fight outside before the furniture gets broken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.