Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 08:57 AM
franklen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer the speed and convenience of the road too, thats one of the main draws as to why I commute as it cuts serious time off my route using other resources (cycle 17-18 minutes, ride park and walk 25 minutes, bus and walk 25 minutes).

But gosh darn, sometimes during a cool summer morning with the sun shining, and the birds singing, maybe a little mist off the river, and a smile in my heart, I just want to mosey along and enjoy the moment. Not possible on any artery roads around here.

I'll pass on the low hanging branches though.
Old 02-14-04, 06:06 PM
Paige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use sidewalks for short cuts mainly. For instance, my grocery store is on a 4 lane divided highway. I take residential roads up to the highway at which point I'm a half block from the store. Doing distance on most sidewalks is dangerous because of all the parking lot entrance/exits and intersections. Drivers don't pay much attention to the sidewalk, they look for the open hole never minding a cyclist traveling 15mph+. When I do ride on the sidewalk I'm always checking the third eye mirror on my glasses for cars trying to turn, not to mention cars turning from the oncoming lane. Also cars coming out of parking lots often roll right across the sidewalk to the edge of the road before they stop without giving consideration there may be somebody approaching on the sidewalk. The same tactics are used at many intersections also.
Old 03-09-04, 12:23 AM
kwv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by widmn
I ride on sidewalks when there is traffic in the road. I try to stick to backroads and minimal traffic going out of my way to get to work. I avoid car traffic at all costs. Despite what many say about "owning the road" and legal rights, bikes do not belong on the road in traffic. Think about it. 2000 lb vehicle hits 200 lb biker. Doesn't matter what you think your rights are or whether the car drivers are arrogant aholes if your injured or dead does it? To many people ignore the statistics of not only clobbered bicyclists but maimed motorcyclists. Only arrogant fools ride on busy streets.

www.southernblades.com
I don't what law you are talking about widmn but bikes would classifed as legal road vehicle in Australia.

So because of this I guess motor vehicles should be allow on footpaths.

But then again why are cyclists over 12 allow on the footpaths in the ACT and Queensland but not the other states.

Especially as allowing cyclists on footpaths encourages them to break the law, put pedestrians in danger and doesn't give cyclist the experience of rifing on the road.
Old 03-09-04, 02:01 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kwv
But then again why are cyclists over 12 allow on the footpaths in the ACT and Queensland but not the other states.
Apparently they now are in Tasmania, or so I was told. Although I, for one, would like to see that particular law changed. I say, let some of those "invincible" teenagers find out how invincible they really are on the road.

That is all.
Old 12-15-04, 10:28 AM
kwv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schiek
80,000 lb. fully-loaded eighteen-wheeler hits 2000 lb. vehicle. Holy cow! What are you doing driving on the road? Cars belong on sidewalks!

-The Snowman and Fred

'East bound and down, loaded up and truckin' we gonna do what they say can't be done...'
Yes cars belong on sidewalk (footpaths) because just like bicycles they are legal road vehicles.
Old 12-15-04, 01:19 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kwv
Yes cars belong on sidewalk (footpaths) because just like bicycles they are legal road vehicles.
You revived a thread that's been dead for 9 MONTHS to post that?
Old 12-18-04, 03:29 AM
Chris L

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You revived a thread that's been dead for 9 MONTHS to post that?
Raiyn, if you haven't added Kenneth to your ignore list, now would probably be a good time, unless, like me, you get a perverse satisfaction at laughing at pathetic trolls. He's been pushing the same stuff for over six years now. A quick google search for "Kenneth Vaughan" would probably display that.

That is all.
Old 12-18-04, 03:01 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
Raiyn, if you haven't added Kenneth to your ignore list, now would probably be a good time, unless, like me, you get a perverse satisfaction at laughing at pathetic trolls. He's been pushing the same stuff for over six years now. A quick google search for "Kenneth Vaughan" would probably display that.
Duly noted and added. If he's such a known pest why even allow him here?
Old 12-18-04, 04:07 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by widmn
I ride on sidewalks when there is traffic in the road. I try to stick to backroads and minimal traffic going out of my way to get to work. I avoid car traffic at all costs. Despite what many say about "owning the road" and legal rights, bikes do not belong on the road in traffic. Think about it. 2000 lb vehicle hits 200 lb biker. Doesn't matter what you think your rights are or whether the car drivers are arrogant aholes if your injured or dead does it? To many people ignore the statistics of not only clobbered bicyclists but maimed motorcyclists. Only arrogant fools ride on busy streets.

www.southernblades.com

You're the only arrogant fool around here. Don't come crying when you get hit at one of the numerous intersection, driveway conflicts you pass. Oh, and don't come crying when you hit a pedestrian.
Old 12-18-04, 10:05 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The laws vary from place to place. In my town and state, when I am on the road I have all the rights and responsibilities of a vehicle. When I ride on the sidewalk I have all the rights of a pedestrian and the additional responsibilities according to the law. For example. Use care overtaking pedestrians, pedestrians have the right of way on the sidewalk, sound out a warning when overtaking a pedestrian. Etc. The laws pretty well cover how to ride here. Some of the posts here said to go walking speed Exactly! If there are many pedestrians it's dangerous. If you go faster than the pedestrians it's dangerous. The law here also allows for it to be prohibited by posted signs.
In most places it's safer to ride on the road. There is a certain amount of judgment required, the law has many restrictions, read them. I rarely ride on the sidewalk.
Being visibly and easy for the car drivers to predict is a safe way to ride in the road. It actually makes the car drivers feel better about you being in the road. I suggest the brightest jacket or jersey possible and a daylight visible taillight and white front flashing marker light for traffic. Some cars and motorcycles have the lights on all the time this is because some research has convinced the manufacturers that having the lights on all the time increases your visibility.
Go on to your town and state web sight and read the bicycle laws. I live in Rhode Island I found mine. My state also has laws pertaining to a Segway type vehicle.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 12-19-04, 12:34 AM
Chris L

Originally Posted by Raiyn
Duly noted and added. If he's such a known pest why even allow him here?
Firstly, banning someone simply for being a troll is pretty subjective. I'm sure that we can all think of plenty of members we'd like to ban for simply trolling. Secondly, he's only a "known pest" to those of us who have read the aus.bicycle newsgroup or the bike-qld list. From my recollection, that's only myself and Allister on this forum. The last thing I want to do is slap a ban on the guy, and have someone else who isn't aware of what a pest he is invite him back.

That is all.
Old 12-20-04, 02:06 AM
Dirtbike
Giggity giggity!

Bikes: Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i do it all the time downtown because there are cars parked on the side of the road on one part. and i love jumping curbs and bunnyhopping obstacles on the sidewalk. i always take care not to hit other people tho.
Likes For Dirtbike:
Old 12-20-04, 12:00 PM
PedalDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see that people in her majesties colonnies do think of other things than
"The Car is King"...........
occasionally!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-04, 01:10 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalDog
Nice to see that people in her majesties colonnies do think of other things than
"The Car is King"...........
occasionally!!!!!!!
I think the "congestion charge" for brining a car into the city, and tax incentives for companies that encourage cycling should apply to the "colonies" as well.
Old 12-24-04, 02:55 AM
Merriwether
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
It also ignores the fact that in traffic that can even be described as "moderate", bicycles are actually faster than cars -- and in gridlock, I can turn a 2-3 hour drive into a 30 minute ride. Maybe during the so-called "rush hour", all cars should move to the sidewalk to allow bikes through easier -- not that they make it overly difficult for me as it is.
And gridlock would be when someone's moving his flock of sheep across the road?

I've looked at some of your (very cool) touring pictures. I thought you lived in the boondocks? (I don't just mean "in Oz" by "boondocks"...well, not this time.)
Old 04-29-06, 03:43 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In finland, we gots us bikeways... its like a sidewalk but with a strip of "road" and its every were.... and i use it... i can never keep up with cars nor 50cc mopeds/motorbikes... i can only produce ~1hp for a short time... those 50's are pushing 5hp...
Old 04-29-06, 04:27 PM
jwc

Bikes: Specialized (2) Trek 400, Raleigh 3spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was on the local news last night, WNCT-9 Greenville NC. I don't ride in Greenville, I live a few miles south, but I had no idea that riding a bike on the sidewalk was unlawful. In the town I live in, sidewalk signs do state "NO SKATEBOARDS OR BICYCLES". I wonder if I'd get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. (Probably just a warning.)

Biker Beware
Lack of Bike Lanes
Apr 28, 2006
Seth Browning
WNCT-TV9

More Local News

With high gas prices, nine has been on your side with alternate ways to save money at the pump. According to Jake Maynard who wrote to me in our viewer's voice, the easiest way is for people to walk or ride a bike. Not only is it free, it's healthy.

So we looked at the city of Greenville, and there is a problem. Some say, there aren't enough sidewalk's or bike paths along major roads. and Greenville is like most cities in the east.

Some say when you're going for a bike ride in Greenville.. It's "biker beware"

"Sometimes they're like let's see how close we can get. Let's see how loud do you think we can yell when we go by", Putting two wheels in a four wheel world can be dangerous. Just take it from Tony Stone, who says just recently a car ran him off the road, "I ran all the way into the curb and just flipped over the curb."

Stone is an avid bike rider and works at this bike shop downtown. He says the city of Greenville should accommodate people like him with more bike lanes. And he says he not the only one, "there's one kid who came here the other day, he had the same incident almost happen to him, except for he broke his wrist."

"There are several types of bike lanes in Greenville, there are more than just a few."

Greenville public works director Tom Tysinger says while there may be only a handful of bike lanes like these in Greenville they can give riders a false sense of security

" Because there's really nothing physical separating them from the other than that white line"

Tysinger says there are many more ways for bicyclists to get around however they are not the only ones invited, "The lanes are widened such that the bicycle can share that lane. And they are not marked bike lanes, but they say share the road."

Tysinger says almost all Greenville roads are set with share lanes where the biker and the driver ride together. He says that do not have an immediate plan to set up any new designated bike lanes. So for now bike riders like Tony Stone will have be prepared to share.

Some of you might ask "Well why not ride on the side walks?" Well according to Tysinger that's against the law. He says side walks are for walking, not riding
Old 04-29-06, 05:45 PM
rando

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MERTON
i live in dallas... we have no pedestrians! (well... very few compared to what i see on t.v. when the show ny and such... our sidwalks in downtown are usually near empty.. cept at lunch time).
same here. it is legal to ride on the sidewalks here and there are very few pedestrians on the sidewalks along my route. I ride slowly anyway and don't feel it is unsafe. I think when you talk about sidewalk riding people automatically think you are talking about going 15-20 mph down a walk that may be crowded with people, which is something I would never do and is not necessarily what a lot of us are talking about when we talk about being on the sidewalk for limited periods during a commute....

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

Last edited by rando; 04-29-06 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 01:33 PM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pletcgm
This is why I take up 1 lane of traffic when commuting to work. The speed limit is 30 mph. I usually average around 25 mph. I always think, if I can stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, then I have the right to take up a whole lane! If I can't keep up, or I have to slow down, then I get over to the right. I feel much safer because any cars wanting to pass me will have to be in the other lane, instead of the same one that I am in!
If it there are two lanes in the same direction and you cannot safely share the lane with a motor vehicle you are LEGALLY allowed to take that lane REGARDLESS of the speed you are traveling on a bicycle. You are considered a slow moving vehicle and they should yield to you. They either stay behind or safely pass you using the other available lane.
Old 04-30-06, 06:32 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kb0tnv
If it there are two lanes in the same direction and you cannot safely share the lane with a motor vehicle you are LEGALLY allowed to take that lane REGARDLESS of the speed you are traveling on a bicycle. You are considered a slow moving vehicle and they should yield to you. They either stay behind or safely pass you using the other available lane.
yeah, but the problem is that most drivers don't know this law, so they just think you're being a total dick and/or insane...

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-01-06, 11:01 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
yeah, but the problem is that most drivers don't know this law, so they just think you're being a total dick and/or insane...
The best way (short of PSAs and rehab drivers ed) for them to 'learn' it is to do it and they can then either whine in ignorance or can choose to take the effort to learn after seeing more cyclists ride in the road.
Right now in the area we (Rando and I) live in >80% of cylists use the sidewalk during the weekday. That only teaches/reinforces to motorist that that is where they belong.
Al
Old 05-01-06, 12:29 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
The best way (short of PSAs and rehab drivers ed) for them to 'learn' it is to do it and they can then either whine in ignorance or can choose to take the effort to learn after seeing more cyclists ride in the road.
Right now in the area we (Rando and I) live in >80% of cylists use the sidewalk during the weekday. That only teaches/reinforces to motorist that that is where they belong.
Al
Yep, I guess you are right, Al. I don't feel like giving up my scenic, pleasant back route to ride on Broadway, though! Yuck!

Old 10-09-08, 02:36 PM
screwdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, the small town I live in has neither sidewalks or streets wide enough to ride a bicycle safely. I have to load up and drive to our local bypass that actually has shoulders wide enough to get some riding in. Even then, I have to worry about simi-trucks going 70 MPH.
Old 10-09-08, 02:47 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride the sidewalks when I feel like it, the MUP when I feel like it, and the road when I feel like it. Most of the time, I'm on the road or the MUP, because they're smoother and wider, which means they're faster. But in parts of town where it's either the sidewalk or the car, I'll take the sidewalk or take the car.
Likes For uke:
Old 10-15-08, 02:14 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a member who is both a bicyclist and a pedestrian. As a bicyclist, I ride in the street most of the time. I generally don't support riding on sidewalks for several reasons; 1) The paving and/or condition of the sidewalks might not always be in good enough condition to ride at a steady pace. 2) The cyclist might not always be able to track where curb cuts are and anticipate them in time. 3) The cyclist might not be able to anticipate where sidewalks begin and end. The cyclist might not be able to slow down or stop in time to avoid hitting pedestrians or objects placed on the sidewalk. When I do ride on the sidewalk, I either ride very slowly and carefully or I dismount and walk my bicycle.

As a pedestrian, I have had many close calls with bicyclists riding at a fast clip and/or don't warn me of their approach. Due to this, I've taken to wearing a Hi-Viz vest as traffic is heavy in the neighborhood I live in.

That's my opinion. I welcome yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.