Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight - Verot & Perrin - What about 'LV'?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:11 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I'm trying to educate myself about Stronglight cranks and chainwheels...

I know that VP stands for Verot & Perrin, but what does the LV on these Stronglight chainwheels stand for? It's also on the back of a A 49A crank arm flange belonging to a collector here but he is wondering what it means, too.

Old 01-31-10, 12:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 815 Posts
only thing I can find is somebody who asks if they are for a 1/8" chain (rather than standard-for-multi-geared drive 3/32"), nobody seems to have answered.
Old 01-31-10, 05:09 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by unworthy1
only thing I can find is somebody who asks if they are for a 1/8" chain (rather than standard-for-multi-geared drive 3/32"), nobody seems to have answered.
It wouldn't be on the crank arm as chain-size is unrelated - you just bolt on the chainring you want.

Incidentally, (sort of French pun there ) I've just discovered that the Japanese differentiate between the 2 chain sizes by saying 'thick' and 'thin', after weeks of laboriously translating 1/8 and 3/32.

My best shot so far is that somewhere along the line Verot joined up with a company with a name beginning with L, like Lyotard, Limouzin (who were absorbed by Hauptmann in 1970 so there was a later link with that company) or Ledin. Verot used to be just Verot, apparently, before joining up with Perrin.

What is it about bicycles that make those involved in their manufactureso liable to not keep, or lose, records!

Last edited by Dawes-man; 01-31-10 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 05:17 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Nah, Louis Vuitton, before he switched to luggage.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 07-18-13, 05:55 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Well, it's more than 3 years down the road but at last there might be an answer. It seems that the first name of the Verot in Verot & Perrin was Louis and if so, L.V. could well stand for Louis Verot.
Old 07-18-13, 10:04 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 869 Posts
Priceless!
Old 07-18-13, 02:55 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,241 Posts
it is not too complicated. the quality verot cottered chainset is model 55. in roman numerals 55 is LV.
Old 07-18-13, 04:28 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by juvela
it is not too complicated. the quality verot cottered chainset is model 55. in roman numerals 55 is LV.
Is this something you know, were told, read or have imagined? And how do you explain this crankset presently on sale on eBay?

It's a Durax:
[IMG] $T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDM!MBR5lpBG0Y!~~60_57 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

With an LV chainring, not a Stronglight:
[IMG] $T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF5H)BR5lq7e3EQ~~60_57 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-20-13, 01:11 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Is this something you know, were told, read or have imagined? And how do you explain this crankset presently on sale on eBay?

It's a Durax:
[IMG] $T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDM!MBR5lpBG0Y!~~60_57 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

With an LV chainring, not a Stronglight:
[IMG] $T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF5H)BR5lq7e3EQ~~60_57 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
a) juvela wrongo como normale! ;^D

b) i found this forum post stating that Monsieur Verot's first name was Louis:

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopi...ttres&start=30

scroll down to the fourth post on the page. also found information stating that the Stronglight trademak was allowed to lapse on 6 December 2008:

https://www.trademarkia.com/stronglight-73646590.html

c) wrt the DURAX chainset pictured: do not know why you think this chainwheel cannot be Verot. a check of the Sutherland manual shows a long list of three arm chainsets which employ a 116mm bolt circle with 101mm between bolt centers. both Stronglight and DURAX are on this list.
Old 07-20-13, 05:27 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by juvela
a) juvela wrongo como normale! ;^D

b) i found this forum post stating that Monsieur Verot's first name was Louis:

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopi...ttres&start=30

scroll down to the fourth post on the page. also found information stating that the Stronglight trademak was allowed to lapse on 6 December 2008:

https://www.trademarkia.com/stronglight-73646590.html

c) wrt the DURAX chainset pictured: do not know why you think this chainwheel cannot be Verot. a check of the Sutherland manual shows a long list of three arm chainsets which employ a 116mm bolt circle with 101mm between bolt centers. both Stronglight and DURAX are on this list.
Taking your last point first, I'm not saying that. I only posted the photos as evidence that your claim that LV was 55 in Roman numerals couldn't possibly be right.

I'm pretty sure the DURAX chainring pictured was made by whichever company made Stronglight cranks and chainrings marked LV (for not all Stronglight products from the period were) and that those initials very likely stand for Louis Verot.

Yes, I've seen the Tonton Velo post. It's the only reference to Verot's first name being Louis that I can find on the internet. And it must be said that that poster might well have made that up themselves.

I don't understand what relevance you think the Stronglight trademark lapsing in 2008 (Don't you mean 1988?) has. The chainrings and cranks we're talking about are from the 50s.
Old 05-11-23, 12:55 PM
VeloFelo54

Bikes: 1951 Claud Butler Massed Start, ca. 1960 Holdsworth Hurricane, ca. 1948 Allin, Stan Butler Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
By way of explanation :

LV is for Louis Verot. Verot developed the first usable alloy cranks back in 1930. Alfredo Binda used the new design alloy set in 1931 in the Milan San Remo race and won. Up until this time Verot-Perrin had 2 trading names : 'Strong' and 'La Comete'. When Verot launched his new alloy cranks he decided to add the word 'light'. Hence, 'Stronglight' was born. The basic design using a square taper shaft is still with us today. The cranks were numbered type 32D (year of launch + D - duraluminium) and they were non gearcase clearance - i e for single chain rings. In 1949 type 49D was launched (these were gearcase cleared to take double chain rings) and this crank is probably the most successful of Stronglight products.

I have no doubt that Verot would have made chain rings to fit and 3 pin crank with what was then the standard bolt circle diameter. I own a chainring that very closely resembles the Durax style. Consider that Stronglight alloy cranks are very often found with TA chain rings. Strongight steel cranks almost invariably have Simplex chain rings. These people were in business to make money and would make whatever would sell

Durax (Limouzin et Fils - St Etienne) and Duprat (A.Duprat - St. Etienne) were entirely separate and independent companies. Durax chain sets were available in this country as early as 1935. I am uncertain of when Duprat sets were first sold here - most likely post war. In 1970 Ets. Hauptmann took over Ets. Verot-Perrin (Stronglight). In the same year they also took over Limouzin et Fils (Durax). I read somewhere they they did not want the Durax brand but the factory and forges that the company had. I think that Durax crank production ended in 1970. Later Durax cranks were of swaged construction - nothing likethe quality of the elegant bayonet cranks that Durax were famous for before and after WW2. Baines offered Durax cranks as an option in their 1935 catalogue. They were listed in the Brown Brother catalogue in 1939 and were priced much higher than Williams and BSA. Only Chater Lea were more expensive. Harry (spanner) Rensch (Paris Cycles) favoured Durax cranks and these are often seen on Paris cycles

Most of the above is documented and can be verified. Anyone reading this who can add to the story - Example : I would love to know when Durax started trading and also learn the fate of A Duprat
New information is always welcome

Also, as V-CC marque enthusiast for Leach Marathon cycles, any information on examples of this marque is also sought as is information on Bill Leach and his business.
Likes For VeloFelo54:
Old 05-11-23, 02:46 PM
juvela

-----

no mention has been made thus far regarding some of the other Verot-Perrin brand names such as Acier Diamant, Verot, & Torevess

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

the Torevess marque first appears immediately following the second world war and remained current into the 1950's. headsets and cottered bottom bracket fittings were produced with it. name created by spelling Verot backwards and adding the -ESS suffix.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-16-23, 07:01 AM
VeloFelo54

Bikes: 1951 Claud Butler Massed Start, ca. 1960 Holdsworth Hurricane, ca. 1948 Allin, Stan Butler Special

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I do know that Verot marketed chain sets using the 'La Comete' and 'Strong' brand names. I have seen a complete cycle from (possibly) the 1920's bearing the La Comete name
I am still seeking a source of information on the makers of Durax cranks (Ets. Limouzin et Fils). Durax cranks were much favoured by both Baines and Rensch cycles before WW2. In the early post war period only Chater Lea cranks were more expensive in the Brown Brothers catalogue
Below are copies of Verot advertisements from 1927 and 1935. Also a photo of 'La Comete' cycle

Above 1927 advertisement

Above 1935 advertisement
Likes For VeloFelo54:
Old 05-16-23, 07:07 AM
VeloFelo54

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Forgot to mention - 'Acier diamant' simply means diamond (hard) steel as far as I know. I think this was incorporated into the LV shooting star logo.